PDA

View Full Version : the lottery question

sam handwich
12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Lately, I have been going to professors for alot of advice on my future career, grad school, etc.

They always at some point, resort to asking me the infamous question, "if you won the lottery, what would you be doing?"

The answer: I DONT KNOW
Sometimes, I say "nothing" or "I would keep learning new skills" or even "I would be a stay at home husband/dad so that way I could enjoy doing little things like cooking, organizing, and taking community college classes for new skills"

They also find it unusual that as a very successful undergrad psych student, I have no idea what I want to do. I can probably get into any grad program I apply to, but I cant seem to find any passion in anything other than learning (and unfortunately, i cant make a career out of going to college indefinitely).
I look around at my peers, they all have a specific passion in psychology; research, working with kids, counseling, etc... but I have nothing.

The happiest jobs I have had are hands-on things, like serving at restauraunts, but again, not a well-paying career choice.

Is anyone else as frustrated as me? Well I guess I can assume that many are. But I would love to hear some stories or advice.

wordsmith
12-06-2008, 01:38 PM
People overthink this. It can be done much more simply. What do you LIKE to do?

vinsanity
12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
hopefully this'll help give you some ideas:

http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30810

sam handwich
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
People overthink this. It can be done much more simply. What do you LIKE to do?
you are correct that people overthink this. I am being way too irrational in the way i think about upcoming decisions. The anxiety of growing up is clouding my thoughts.

Now that I am on anti-anxiety meds, i can think a little more clearly. I like to organize, and i mean hands-on stuff. I could see myself being a leadership teacher in high school or associated student body adviser. It would be good for me, I teach the kids how to set up committees, how to organize events, do community service, etc. Other things that run along with organizing, are managing restauraunts, making sure plates go out to the right tables, customers are happy, employees are speedy. Oh boy i love it!
I also like acting really hyper and silly. I like to drink tea, and am a conoissuer (sp). I think I like cooking, but am afraid i would start hating it if it were my career. I guess creativity is very important to me. I like small things in life, simple pleasures.

wordsmith
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
This is me, too. I have the education, the drive, the skill, and the interest to climb the ladder in my particular field. In fact, people seem to often wonder why I'm not aspiring to x position, because, "you'd be great for blah blah blah, maybe even better than the person who's doing it now" and because it nearly invariably comes with a higher paycheck, and people can't seem to wrap their heads around not aspiring to the higher $$$ amount for any reason. But the truth is, if I think about what I really enjoy most, it's what I do - the hands-on, direct service. Going up in my field (as in many) means going into behind the scenes, administration/management, executive type duties, which give me hives. If I weren't doing the front lines, hands on stuff, I know my enthusiasm would not be what it is. Being the direct service person makes me happy. Not supervising the people who are doing what it is that I love doing most, and filling out paperwork about how they're doing it. Even if it means more $$$, it doesn't mean THAT much more money, and def. not enough to walk away from something I'm much more on fire for.

My little sister loves the type of thing you're talking about. She's found her niche as an event planner. She's in her element handling planning, catering, overseeing events, and just being the general go-to hospitality person who never drops the ball and the creative, think-quickly-on-her-feet force who can fix it if somebody else does.

gemma-dahl
12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
The happiest jobs I have had are hands-on things, like serving at restauraunts, but again, not a well-paying career choice.

Is anyone else as frustrated as me? Well I guess I can assume that many are. But I would love to hear some stories or advice.

I can relate. I am frustrated that there are not more job options out there that are hands-on. I really hate the typical cubicle farm office set-up, and I can't stomach jobs that don't require think-on-your-feet problem solving. If I were physically stronger, I would probably have gone into the trades.

I'm seriously considering taking a side job in retail or bartending (I work largely for myself, and I have been craving a higher cash flow lately) just to get more of that "hands on" element in my life.