PDA

View Full Version : what are you doing tonight

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ugarachel82
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Watching the snow fall is so pretty!!!

wordsmith
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Am unable to go to my last choir rehearsal before our dress rehearsal and concerts...too poor of visibility, I'm not going out on the roads.

PenforPrez
12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Got lost in an industrial neighborhood driving home. :( I fully expected to get shot (people are getting shot even in quiet neighborhoods these days), but I extricated myself unharmed. :)

Trivia night again. My friend and I haven't won a round in awhile, and we're hungry. We're ready! :D

Paul

ugarachel82
12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Basking in the glory that is a SNOW EMERGENCY and a much needed unexpected day off tomorrow. This never happens in my area and school district. I'm pretty stoked.

wordsmith
12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Got lost in an industrial neighborhood driving home. :( I fully expected to get shot (people are getting shot even in quiet neighborhoods these days), but I extricated myself unharmed. :)

Hah, I was driving through my old neighborhood two nights ago, on my way home from choir rehearsal at about 9:30 p.m. I rememberd that I needed to get dish soap, so I thought, "Okay, I'll stop at the grocery store in our old neighborhood" (which, as you know, is not a rough neighborhood). So, I cruise down the road to the Price Chopper, and it and the whole retail block it's on is surrounded with yellow crime scene tape, and the whole area is being secured by no fewer than about 15 KCMO squad cars and sniper cops in all black and flak jackets.

Apparently, this is what went down in my former, typically quiet, neighborhood, riiiight about the time I was heading over:

http://www.kctv5.com/news/21894682/detail.html

I don't know, robbing a KFC seems really friggin' lucrative. :rolleyes:

wordsmith
12-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Basking in the glory that is a SNOW EMERGENCY and a much needed unexpected day off tomorrow. This never happens in my area and school district. I'm pretty stoked.

I had a snow day today. It was heavenly. I'm sure we'll be back in session tomorrow, but it was a nice midweek break.

Krishna
12-10-2009, 09:30 AM
After a snow day yesterday (thanks to 12-18 inches of snow, depending on who you talk to), and a late start today, I'm headed back to work. Nothing better than 1.5 days off unexpectedly. :D

PenforPrez
12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Hah, I was driving through my old neighborhood two nights ago, on my way home from choir rehearsal at about 9:30 p.m. I rememberd that I needed to get dish soap, so I thought, "Okay, I'll stop at the grocery store in our old neighborhood" (which, as you know, is not a rough neighborhood). So, I cruise down the road to the Price Chopper, and it and the whole retail block it's on is surrounded with yellow crime scene tape, and the whole area is being secured by no fewer than about 15 KCMO squad cars and sniper cops in all black and flak jackets.

Apparently, this is what went down in my former, typically quiet, neighborhood, riiiight about the time I was heading over:

http://www.kctv5.com/news/21894682/detail.html

I don't know, robbing a KFC seems really friggin' lucrative. :rolleyes:

That's ironic because they just shot and robbed a newspaper deliveryman in my old neighborhood about a week ago, which that neighborhood hasn't seen a murder in decades.

Paul

wordsmith
12-11-2009, 12:33 AM
I actually really hate the first day back after a snow day or series of them. The kids are lunatics.

CoolAZN
12-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I really want to go to a birthday party in the city :p

But I have many things to get done here:
~ make about two dozen xmas cards and send out.
~ pack some stuff up, in process of moving out.
~ pay some bills and convert mostly everything to paperless billing.
~ If I head into either city, want to open a ck account with Mr. Schwabs since they offer no fee debit card usage worldwide and I think you get some interest on it too.

will see what I can accomplish.
Not sure if I will make it out there thou.
Might go to a different social group gathering here instead....

PenforPrez
12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
I actually really hate the first day back after a snow day or series of them. The kids are lunatics.

You mean they're not normally? :rolleyes:

FishOutOfWater
12-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm finally done with all my papers, except for a peer review I have to do tomorrow, since my partner isn't sending me a draft till tonight.

Today I'm gonna run some errands. My SO and I have both been doing finals the past couple weeks, which means the apartment is a mess, we're out of food, and I need to do things like mail holiday gifts before it gets too late. It's raining unfortunately, but this stuff REALLY needs to be done now.

My SO finished finals Thursday and promptly got sick the next day. Hopefully it's just a cold, but if it's something like the swine flu I've been vaccinated by my work at least and don't have to worry about getting it as well. (He's been vaccinated against seasonal flu, so if it's a flu it's H1N1.)

FishOutOfWater
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I am DONE with classes for the semester!!!! TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!!

I think I'm gonna take a bath and go to bed early tonight, since instead of having the day off tomorrow (normally my class day) my internship has asked me to come in an extra day to attend a day-long training for all the social workers. It's a good thing they're paying me extra, because otherwise I'd have a hard time not throwing a fit for losing my make-up sleep time.

PenforPrez
12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Been a miserable day. But it's payday and tonight is trivia night, so it can only get better. :) I'm having my favorite meal at trivia night, so the day starts over from right now. Better late than never. :p

Tonight is the great cookie throwdown at trivia night. Another regular brought in Christmas cookies last week. I wasn't having this! I challenged her to a cookie contest for tonight. That's right, I threw down the cookie gauntlet! :D I just made some really good cookies, and this shit's going down tonight! You heard me!

Paul

fuzmiq
12-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Going to the movies with Dad. (how shweet)

Tayl405
12-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Trying to decide if I should drive to SC tomorrow. Is that stupid, in this blizzard? Would it be smarter to wait until Sunday? I have no idea what I should do!

CoolAZN
12-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Trying to decide if I should drive to SC tomorrow. Is that stupid, in this blizzard? Would it be smarter to wait until Sunday? I have no idea what I should do!

I just saw the "blizzard" (about a foot of snow) we are suppose to have on Saturday on Accuweather.
I would wait until Sunday if you can, unless you know how to drive through a snowstorm. Plus, it might take a little bit longer to get down there. Rt 95 shouldn't be that bad, although need to watch out for those truckers.

I just drove through the one we had couple of weeks ago.
O boy, where there a lot of cars off the road.
But, I was heading north instead...

At least this town will be seasonal for it's name...hehe

Be safe and take care.
---------------------

Try to move half my stuff into the house.
Mostly, it will be stored down in the basement for the time being.

DaneCA
12-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Yikes! Be careful if you decide to drive to leave tomorrow, Taylor!

I am SO excited for this weekend and the fact that my company gave us Christmas Eve off so I only have three days of work next week! Tonight, my very old friend and I are hitting the town for drinks and gossip. I have to start (yes, start!) my Christmas shopping tomorrow, so I'll be at the mall all morning, then I'm hanging out with my boy, probably getting dinner and watching movies at his house, or going out if he's kid-free. I'm hoping I'll get most of my shopping done tomorrow so I can go to the movies on Sunday. I really want to see An Education or A Serious Man.

LakeJay
12-18-2009, 02:57 PM

If you have any hesitation about leaving tomorrow then I think you should wait until the snow stops.

Christmas dinner with the guys tonight. Open bar for 3 hours :eek: Yikes...I'm excitedly scared.

Tomorrow could be pretty big...hopefully the snow holds off enough for most of the morning. Probably a holiday party tomorrow night as well.

Sunday...I'm assuming we'll be snowed in and that would mean I don't coach a basketball game. So I'll probably be hanging out with my girlfriend at her place...it'll be great just lounging on the couch.

Tayl405
12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Open bar for 3 hours! Have fun!!

I am thinking I'll wait until Sunday. I drive an SUV, so I'm not too worried about my car, but that's a good point about the trucks. Plus I don't feel like spending 15 hours in the car (instead of 10), when I can be curled up at home and then go Sunday. I'm annoyed though, because I just want to get down there!

pisces2473
12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
working on house stuff...we're hosting Christmas this year, so I have a lot to do.

ugarachel82
12-18-2009, 11:14 PM
"You're drinking water?"

my principal, to me and a few other support staff this afternoon at a holiday happy hour...I love this man. He then proceeded to buy us drinks...

labrat2111
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm just going to be sitting home with the wife and my kitties watching the snow come down. Probably take a walk and bring some snow in for the kitties. Also I guess I'll have some time to do stock research, house research and some last minute christmas ideas.

Thanks to the snow I get out of going to the family party for my wife's relatives which is 1.5 hours away in good weather.

FishOutOfWater
12-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Good luck to everyone dealing with snowstorms! I'm hoping there's none the 23rd or 26th when I need to fly!

I'm finally officially on winter break, since my last day of internship was yesterday. Today my SO and I are going to be packing and doing some last minute shopping and cleaning. We're leaving tomorrow for the next two weeks. First we're driving to his parents' house for three days, then we're flying to my mom's condo for Christmas Eve and Christmas, and then we're flying to Miami for a vacation with my dad, my brother, my dad's SO, and her kids (plus everyone's SOs). We're flying back to our neck of the woods January 3rd, and my SO starts classes the next morning, while I have a couple days off till I start internship the 6th.

Whew! I feel exhausted just writing that down! I'm excited but will definitely have to pace myself.

steph78
12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Recovering from the Christmas party we hosted last night for 32 people. Most people that have ever been in our house all at once! It was really really fun but I am now exhausted. We are lounging around the house today eating leftover food from last night and strategizing about our drive to Virginia on Monday. The interstate was apparently shut down due to drifting snow in the county where my parents live, with about 400 cars stranded and hundreds of accidents reported. Awesome. Let's hope they can get all that cleared up in the next 36 hours or so! My mom has been telling me that they have 2 feet of snow on their driveway and there is no way they are going to be able to shovel it (their driveway is probably 1/4 mile long) before we get there, so be prepared to carry the kids and suitcases in from the street. Good times!

steph78
12-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I am thinking I'll wait until Sunday. I drive an SUV, so I'm not too worried about my car, but that's a good point about the trucks. Plus I don't feel like spending 15 hours in the car (instead of 10), when I can be curled up at home and then go Sunday. I'm annoyed though, because I just want to get down there!

Probably a good decision based on what I saw on CNN and the weather channel this AM. My friend from high school was trying to drive south from northern Virginia and said he was in the car 12 hours and only managed to get 100 miles so far. Wow.

pisces2473
12-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Recovering from the Christmas party we hosted last night for 32 people. Most people that have ever been in our house all at once! It was really really fun but I am now exhausted. We are lounging around the house today eating leftover food from last night and strategizing about our drive to Virginia on Monday. The interstate was apparently shut down due to drifting snow in the county where my parents live, with about 400 cars stranded and hundreds of accidents reported. Awesome. Let's hope they can get all that cleared up in the next 36 hours or so! My mom has been telling me that they have 2 feet of snow on their driveway and there is no way they are going to be able to shovel it (their driveway is probably 1/4 mile long) before we get there, so be prepared to carry the kids and suitcases in from the street. Good times!

Can they get someone to come and plow?!?!?! That's a crazy amount of snow!

pisces2473
12-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Doing more housey stuff. Got a bunch done today, taking a break right now, but I am ON A ROLL.

meatwad
12-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Going to see avatar in 3d Imax

wordsmith
12-19-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty stressed about not being able to get home for Christmas, since bad weather is predicted, and we can't leave early and beat it.

J-girl
12-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Going to my best friend's rebound boyfriend's half birthday party, just out of obligation :rolleyes:

winneythepooh7
12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Going to my SIL's and ordering in take-out Italian to celebrate her and her husband's birthdays which both fall this week.

Since it's snowy and cold, we don't want to go out anywhere with the brood.

ebruening
12-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Going to see avatar in 3d Imax

It = amazing in 3D. We went yesterday. I loved it - and I'm normally pretty hard to convince when it comes to liking James Cameron films.

PenforPrez
12-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm posting this from my friend's house currently; went to my parents for the weekend and I need to get back home pretty soon. Hope to do some laundry when I get back. Need to do some reading too.

Paul

steph78
12-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Still debating about driving to Virginia tomorrow. At last check, pretty much no secondary roads in my parents' area have been plowed yet and are still sitting under 18+ inches of snow. I would not be amused to drive 8 hours there from Alabama only to discover that we have to abandon the car at the bottom of the mountain my parents live on and hike the last 3 miles up the hill (with a 3 year old and a 6 month old). We have not packed anything in the car yet, my guess is we're going to postpone our trip until Tuesday.

ugarachel82
12-20-2009, 07:59 PM
At home, enjoying my last bit of peace after two days retail work on a weekend in the holiday season. Fly out Tuesday, so I'm going to not think about the fact that I have to pack tomorrow, on my one DAY OFF. Enjoying some rum and egg nog after a very long day.

wordsmith
12-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Just finished wrapping presents for boyfriend, because he went to sleep. Will finish wrapping stuff for family tomorrow, in the possibly vain hopes that I'll actually be able to GET the 500 miles to my family's for Christmas. The weather outlook is fairly bleak.

ugarachel82
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Hugs to all the people with driving to do this holiday season. Good luck with that and stay safe!!! I'm fairly lucky in that I don't have driving and I'm not going to anywhere with extremely inclement weather. So be careful, have fun, and return in one piece. :rolleyes:

wordsmith
12-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Baked Christmas cookies.

PenforPrez
12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Baked Christmas cookies.

I need to do some of that if I have time this evening.

Tayl405
12-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I had sushi tonight with my mom, dad, and grandma, then we watched The Hangover together. I love my family!

FishOutOfWater
12-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Hello from 30,000 feet up! Guess whose plane has free wifi? :D

I was cranky to be delayed 2 1/2 hours, but I am so over it now that I can surf the net for free on the plane!

Minipan
12-23-2009, 10:08 PM
drinks downtown with friends i haven't seen in ages. good times.

CoolAZN
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Hello from 30,000 feet up! Guess whose plane has free wifi? :D

I was cranky to be delayed 2 1/2 hours, but I am so over it now that I can surf the net for free on the plane!

Which plane offers that service...?

I know that Happy Jetting offers direct tv and snacks =)

FishOutOfWater
12-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Which plane offers that service...?

I know that Happy Jetting offers direct tv and snacks =)

American Airlines. I think normally it costs money, but they were having a promotion where you could get free internet for watching a movie trailer.

ugarachel82
12-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm happily intoxicated on good wine and family. I love my family. Merry Christmas Eve everyone!!!

DaneCA
12-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Merry Christmas, everyone! (I'm a little late, I know!)

I've had a great weekend so far. I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family, mostly doing our "default" activity (as I called it, which my dad didn't love, haha): drinking wine! My parents got me a new laptop for Christmas and I'm SO excited about it! Now, I'm off to meet up with some of my roommates from senior year of college. Nine of us lived in a little house overlooking the ocean and I haven't seen several of them since graduating in 2006, so it will be fun to catch up over lunch. Tonight, my guy and I are going to dinner and hanging out at his house or getting drinks with friends, depending on whether or not he has his son. Tomorrow, I want to see The Young Victoria, which is supposed to be really good. I know a lot about the Tudors but not much about Victoria, despite having lived in London, so I hope it's pretty historically accurate.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend, too! :)

PenforPrez
12-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't feel good this evening; I'm slightly nauseous. :( Using my blazing fast brand new computer, I downloaded Season 3 of Corner Gas while I was at work today. It was only a 3.5 gig file. :rolleyes: Probably start watching that tonight and getting things sorted out in my room from after the long weekend.

Paul

steph78
12-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Back home after a week visiting my parents for Christmas. Had a super fun time with them, but also glad to be home after a week away. My husband still has the rest of this week off work as paid holiday time (love being a government contractor!!) so we are just relaxing for the next few days. Tonight we are watching stuff that's piled up on the DVR while we were away. We just finished a bottle of wine after the kiddos went to bed, first time we'd done that since before I got pregnant this last time and it turns out that after a year and a half of not drinking much, I am a lightweight. :) I have a feeling I will sleep well tonight.

DaneCA
01-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Happy New Year, everyone! I hope you all had a good night and are enjoying 2010 so far!

My boy and I celebrated New Year's Eve by going out for dinner and drinks with his brother and his girlfriend. The four of us spent New Year's Eve together last year, too, and we had an even better time this year, despite the fact that I twisted my ankle. Note to self: Four-inch heels look cute and they're great when your boyfriend's 6'4" and you're 5'5", but they aren't easy to walk in, especially after a couple of drinks. Today, I'm recovering and reading The Year of the Flood. SOOO good!

It's going to be a good year, I think. :)

PenforPrez
01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
My friend I go to trivia night with invited me to a NYE party at a mutual friend's house. It wasn't as well attended as we hoped it would, but it was a lot of fun.

Got a phone number from a girl there. :) I played a lovely game of guessing the letters of her last name, which she was Polish and her last name had 11 letters. :rolleyes: I got five right on the first try. Yay me! :D

My friend and I went to the movies today to see Up in the Air, which they actually filmed a lot of here in St. Louis. That was the movie my friend and I tried to be extras in, but they didn't want us. Snobby Hollywood bastards! :evil: It was a good movie. You should go see it. ;)

Paul

FishOutOfWater
01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Happy 2010 everyone! I just got back from my 2 week family visits / vacation / adventure. I am exhausted but had a great time! I'm trying to get fully unpacked and make the 3-hour time change before I resume internship on Wednesday.

Tayl405
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Laundry, laundry, laundry. Going to try to keep things low-key for the month, as much as possible. The last few months have been way too hectic!

PenforPrez
01-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Had a session with the therapist, then went shopping. Early night tonight; I slept very little last night. :(

I've been wanting to make a habit of walking ~30 minutes every morning, and I'm really wanting to go for it tomorrow. :) Problem is, the forecast temperature for 7 A.M. tomorrow is all of 7 degrees Farenheit. Brr! That hasn't stopped me before. Could be worse--could be Minne-soo-ta. A friend in Minneapolis told me on Saturday it was -15 there. No thanks. :p

Paul

hoodie
01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Going to the Blackhawks game tonight to watch some hockey! It was our Christmas gift from his parents. Can't wait! :D

wordsmith
01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Making soup and bread, and going to a hockey game! Two-for-one night!!

PenforPrez
01-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Got some good news this evening. I have been elected president of a regional quizbowl association. I'm waiting on the codes for the secret nuclear arsenal. :p

Heavy snow expected here tonight; possibly five to eight inches. I'm excited about it. I'm the one. ;) Going out to trivia night shortly.

Paul

Tayl405
01-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Congrats, Paul! Is that a lot of extra work?

PenforPrez
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Congrats, Paul! Is that a lot of extra work?

No. It doesn't even come with much more prestige than I already hold. But I will be responsible for more long-term strategic goals, and I will have to take a more high-profile stance on issues.

Paul

Tayl405
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
No. It doesn't even come with much more prestige than I already hold. But I will be responsible for more long-term strategic goals, and I will have to take a more high-profile stance on issues.

Paul

So do you ever participate in them? Or just run them? Is it like quizzo at the bar? Sorry, I don't know much about it!

wordsmith
01-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Waiting to see if we have a third day off school due to blizzard conditions. The chances are pretty damned good. All closings in the area usually get posted online by ten the night before. Thus far, there are almost 300 closings of area schools, colleges/universities, and libraries for tomorrow.

Not that it's not NICE to have a whole extra almost-week off school following the holidays, but, damn, I need to be making money. When we're not in session, I don't get paid.

steph78
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Waiting to see if we have a third day off school due to blizzard conditions. The chances are pretty damned good. All closings in the area usually get posted online by ten the night before. Thus far, there are almost 300 closings of area schools, colleges/universities, and libraries for tomorrow.

Not that it's not NICE to have a whole extra almost-week off school following the holidays, but, damn, I need to be making money. When we're not in session, I don't get paid.
Be glad you don't live in the south where people just don't seem to be able to handle snow at all. The schools are closed for the rest of the week. They made this decision in the middle of yesterday afternoon, before a single flake of snow had fallen. Worst case, it is only supposed to amount to more than an inch or two here. Where I grew up that would not even qualify us for a delayed start, much less two days off. Normally I would think it is fun but I am paying tuition for my daughter's preschool and it kinda sucks to miss days and not get refunded for them. It is nice to sit here in my pjs and watch the snow fall while drinking hot chocolate, though, instead of getting kids up and packing lunches and backpacks.

pisces2473
01-07-2010, 09:47 AM

I know you don't tack on these missed days to the end of the school year, since your school goes year-round, but do you push back a break week?

That really sucks about no school = no pay. Are there opportunities for you to make up the missed time off?

wordsmith
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Since we're year-round, they can't cut into any nonexistent summer break. They'll likely just shave days off our spring break, which is typically only five days. We're allotted three snow days a school year, and today is number four (third this week, and we had one in early December). There isn't really any way to make up the days other than to come in during holidays, but we don't have that many...I could potentially come in on Friday and Monday of next week, since we have a four-day weekend scheduled for MLK, but they've gotten pretty stingy on approving "work days" when we're scheduled off, because people tend to abuse them...the kids aren't there, so instead of doing work, people roam and chat. The supervisors don't want to come in on their vacation days, and since we've grown, the policy has gotten more stringent about a supervisor having to be present if you work over a break, to sign off that you were actually working, not just coming in and screwing around unsupervised. A couple of bad apples more or less wrecked the opportunity to make up the time, essentially. So I'm not sure if we'll be allowed to come in over the four day and at least make up a couple of the missed days.

Problem is that instead of my paycheck for the first half of January being for 15 days, it will be for seven, at most...more likely six, if we don't go in tomorrow, and we likely won't. So even if I can make up the days at a later time, it's not going to go on this paycheck, which is gonna cramp me, in terms of monthly expenses. This of course comes on the heels of the Christmas break, which also made for a light paycheck. I used a couple of my accrued PTO days over Christmas break to pad my paycheck a little (made it five unpaid days, rather than seven), and I could do that for this stretch, too, but then I'd be out of PTO days, and I don't accrue my next batch till May (we accrue five more every six months and they roll over). I always like to keep a couple saved in case of illness or if I have car trouble or something, it makes me uncomfortable to be down to none. But, still, this is a bad time of year to have a lighter paycheck.

A second job would be in order, but with so many layoffs, here, you're fighting loads of people for so much as a cashier job.

ebruening
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Sorry about the snow days, Words. We're having our 2nd snow day here, after the insane Christmas blizzard. I worry about the spring, when I think about the amount of flooding that will happen here.

winneythepooh7
01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
A second job would be in order, but with so many layoffs, here, you're fighting loads of people for so much as a cashier job.

Any chance you could get on a list as a per diem worker for a group home or something? I don't know about other areas, but where I live these kinds of places always seem to be hiring and in need of good workers.

Do you have anyone you could make connections with through your school?

wordsmith
01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Actually, the company that runs our school runs most of the local group homes. They have a three-prong business model...education, residential care, and in-home consulting for developmental disabilties/behavioral problems. They do take at-will workers on a per diem basis, and definitely give people who work at the school priority, but that's also where ALL the teachers flock when we're off work, so it's really pretty first-come, first serve, and hard to get in.

fuzmiq
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
If the weather permits, I will be going to an Improv show tonight and dancing afterwards...

winneythepooh7
01-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Emptying out our spare bedroom. We are renovating it into a play room for all of my son's toys, and maybe putting in a tiny desk in the corner for an "office space".

We will keep a futon in there that my husband and I will sleep on if we have guests over, and let our guests take our bedroom.

My husband has some downtime this week, so he is going to paint and put a new door in.

This way our small living room is not taken over with all my son's crap.

ugarachel82
01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I used a couple of my accrued PTO days over Christmas break to pad my paycheck a little...but, still, this is a bad time of year to have a lighter paycheck.

I feel you with the light pay check this month. I'm an hourly employee with benefits with my school district and even though Minnesota doesn't believe in snow days (not in the city anyways) I had to use a few of my paid vacation days to pad this month's paycheck to cover Christmas/travel/other holiday expenses as well. I don't know what I'd be doing without the little bit of income from my second job as well. I moonlight as a food sample girl at SuperTarget on the weekends. It's not a glamorous job, but it's a mindless one, and helps out significantly in allowing me to put away a little bit for a rainy day.

PenforPrez
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Sorry about the snow days, Words. We're having our 2nd snow day here, after the insane Christmas blizzard. I worry about the spring, when I think about the amount of flooding that will happen here.

The Missouri River and most of its tributaries have been fairly low the last several years, so all the snow might not be the worst thing. My sister lives very near the Missouri, and it's heartbreaking to see how pathetic the river looks now. :(

Re: the snow. I love what one sports writer here in St. Louis had to say today about forecasting snow:

"Can the weather people please calm down? I expected to wake up this morning and see my SUV buried under a pile of snow, power lines collapsed, thousands of people huddled in the streets over open fires, vehicles overturned in snow banks, and scenes of horrific wanton looting at area food markets. Why? Because, as usual, the TV weather monsters in STL tried like hell to scare us. Instead, I woke up and saw a couple of inches on the ground, with clear streets. It was nothing. Can the FCC intervene and stop this madness?"

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-extra-points/bernies-extra-points/bernies-5-minutes/2010/01/no-reason-for-bulger-to-return/

Paul

CoolAZN
01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Re: the snow. I love what one sports writer here in St. Louis had to say today about forecasting snow:

"Can the weather people please calm down? I expected to wake up this morning and see my SUV buried under a pile of snow, power lines collapsed, thousands of people huddled in the streets over open fires, vehicles overturned in snow banks, and scenes of horrific wanton looting at area food markets. Why? Because, as usual, the TV weather monsters in STL tried like hell to scare us. Instead, I woke up and saw a couple of inches on the ground, with clear streets. It was nothing. Can the FCC intervene and stop this madness?"

Paul
The weathermen/women love to express their power on how BIG of an event it might be. A lot of people are gullible and believe in it.
----------

Helping my dad pack things up for the move.
Seeing some family members around town.
Setting up web banking, closing accounts, opt out for paperless mail, and whatnot so I can be more mobile (this is second part for me to figure out what I want to do and where I may want to go for this year, straighten things out...).

hoodie
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I have to stop at the Apple store because my beloved iPhone decided it doesn't want to take a charge when plugged in anymore. :mad:

After that, taking the train into the city to be a "hair model" haha...my friend who cuts hair is seeking a job in a posh downtown salon and as part of the interviewing process, they want to watch a "sample" of him cutting someone's hair. That's where I come in, and I get a free haircut. :)

Then home where *hopefully* my new elliptical machine will have been delivered.

FishOutOfWater
01-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I was supposed to be doing a day trip to tube and sled, but it got canceled when almost everyone backed out. I think instead that I'll be going to the grocery store, developing photos from the water cameras in my trip, buying a desk calendar 9 days too late, and seeing a movie with my SO.

PenforPrez
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I have to stop at the Apple store because my beloved iPhone decided it doesn't want to take a charge when plugged in anymore. :mad:

I bought my iPod at the really nice Apple store on Michigan Avenue. I did it just to impress a girl, which is really a stupid reason. :redface:

Paul

pisces2473
01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I was supposed to be doing a day trip to tube and sled, but it got canceled when almost everyone backed out. I think instead that I'll be going to the grocery store, developing photos from the water cameras in my trip, buying a desk calendar 9 days too late, and seeing a movie with my SO.

LOL calendars are cheaper after the new year!

I will be grocery shopping at some point. And it's freezing here.

Tayl405
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm trying to get up the motivation to go to the gym and run errands. Then I'm going to finally watch Doubt. Kind of excited for a cozy night in!

winneythepooh7
01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I can't wait for the premiere of Big Love tonight!!!!

DaneCA
01-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Then I'm going to finally watch Doubt.

Oooohhh. So good!

wordsmith
01-10-2010, 09:58 PM
LOL calendars are cheaper after the new year!

I finally got out of my house for the first time since Wednesday afternoon today, because they finally plowed some of the roads. Among my errands was going to get a new planner, since they traditionally go on sale after the first of the year, like calendars, and to price some bedding, due to January white sales.

Thwarted on both counts. NOBODY had discounted planners (not even TJ Maxx), and bedding wasn't discounted, either. Screw it, I'll do without. Only suckers pay full price.

On the upside, it was nice to be out! Temperature was all the way up to a balmy 18 degrees! :rolleyes: Got to take a real long walk with the dog for the first time in days, not just run out, shudder while he poops, scoop, and run inside and thaw out skin.

Minipan
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I could so never live in cold climate.

wordsmith
01-11-2010, 07:54 AM
I've never not, so it's kind of business as usual. It's not for people who've always lived here, though.

This is the furthest south by far that I've ever lived, and it's been unusually cold and snowy this season, but it's still a place that does get snowfall in winter.

CoolAZN
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Thwarted on both counts. NOBODY had discounted planners (not even TJ Maxx), and bedding wasn't discounted, either. Screw it, I'll do without. Only suckers pay full price.

The planners I got where discontinued after a month later when schools started in the fall. So they were pretty cheap. I got the undated ones, so I can use it anytime. You can also check out the dollar store, they tend to have the cheaper versions. It's not pretty and all, just plain and usable.
------------

The weather is weird, since I just drove back down from Upstate NY this morning where they have tons of snow. Here, where I currently reside, they did not get any snow. Just coldness.
------------

Apparently, my reordering checks did not go through, so I need to go fix that so I have some cool retro looking 60's style checks :p
(It's the New Year and I wanted something colourful).
Doing some laundry, along with sorting/organizing room (just dumped pretty much everything in the bedroom during the move (cloths, papers, etc))....

FishOutOfWater
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
That's strange that you couldn't find any planners on sale, wordsmith! I got one at 50% at my locals Borders, along with a desk calendar ("Stuff White People Like"). They did have a pretty limited desk calendar selection, though.

I'm fortunate to have a 4-day weekend since I don't start classes until a week from tomorrow. I'm going to work on my annual ticket stub diary over the next couple of days, try to do some cleaning, and also catch up on some sleep. Yesterday I finished uploading all the pictures from my vacation and sending them on to my immediate family.

katar26
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Got some Simpsons Season DVD's and watching them over the next few nights.

wordsmith
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
That's strange that you couldn't find any planners on sale, wordsmith! I got one at 50% at my locals Borders, along with a desk calendar ("Stuff White People Like"). They did have a pretty limited desk calendar selection, though.

Borders was actually the first place I looked, since it's closest to my house...none of them were marked down, they were all full price. Weird.

callyna81
01-13-2010, 05:12 AM
18% ha ha

it was 109 here on Monday, the fourth day of 100 or so degrees or more, before it started raining.

and I have no aircon

PenforPrez
01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
18% ha ha

it was 109 here on Monday, the fourth day of 100 or so degrees or more, before it started raining.

and I have no aircon

Eek! :eek: No thank you. Are you doing OK in the heat?

I saw on TV here where it was in the upper 90's in Adelaide and Alice Springs. An acquaintance of mine is moving to Australia later this month (she lived there for two years previously); she quipped that "summer was coming early." :rolleyes:

Paul

PenforPrez
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
So do you ever participate in them? Or just run them? Is it like quizzo at the bar? Sorry, I don't know much about it!

I don't play a lot any more; questions for players at my level have gotten too hard in the last few years. :( Mostly, I just stick to my weekly trivia night at the bar, which is different.

These days, I just run tournaments, staff others, consult with high school teams and agitate on issues of concern. In this part of the country, we have special issues with really antediluvian rules (hence why we have an advocacy group), which has been my main focus for the last five or so years.

Paul

Tayl405
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Going to dinner tonight with some friends for a friend's birthday. Philly does this thing called Center City Restaurant Week a couple times a year where a bunch of restaurants participate and offer $35 pre fixe menus. We're going to an Italian place that services 4 courses for the pre fixe. Very excited :) I wore my stretchy jeans today in anticipation of eating a ton!

callyna81
01-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Eek! :eek: No thank you. Are you doing OK in the heat?

I saw on TV here where it was in the upper 90's in Adelaide and Alice Springs. An acquaintance of mine is moving to Australia later this month (she lived there for two years previously); she quipped that "summer was coming early." :rolleyes:

Paul

Yeah, I'm in Adelaide. Alice Springs is way more humid, we at least are coastal and get some sea breezes.

Upper 90s isn't all that unusual or uncomfortable here. 80-90 is about perfect for me. I don't like the cold. This summer is actually kinda mild so far (fingers crossed). It really only gets uncomfortable when it hits about 100 and stays like that for a few days, or when it doesn't cool down at night (we had one night where I don't think the temperature dropped below 100 all night - THAT was terrible).

In 2008 we had a heatwave where I think it was something like 104 and over for ten or twelve days. I was driving over an hour to work in an unairconditioned car, each way, stuck in traffic, and I got to the point where I was so lethargic I couldn't safely drive.

hoodie
01-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Going to a swanky party at the Shedd Aquarium tonight. :D

Too bad the freezing rain in the forecast is messing with my head while considering footwear & transportation. I want to wear heels!

Krishna
01-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Going to a swanky party at the Shedd Aquarium tonight.

I love that place....it rocks!

ugarachel82
01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I've been sick for the past couple of days and haven't been out of the house, so tonight I'm going to brave the great wide outdoors and go take the US Census test at the library. It was really nice having TWO DAYS to myself without work, BTW. Even if I had to be sick to do it. How do you know you need a new job? LOL. I'm ready to go back tomorrow. :rolleyes:

wordsmith
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Eating homemade pizza and reading while BF is at class.

PenforPrez
01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I just finished watching the governor of Missouri give a state of the state address online. Going out to trivia shortly. :D

Paul

PenforPrez
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Spent the weekend with my parents. Got home just now, and my TV didn't want to turn on. :( Which really sucked, since my computer is hooked up to it. :p Don't know what happened; I just had to play with it and it turned on.

Last night, the big house next to my parents' burned. We could see the fire from the living room. The house is a total loss. Nobody hurt, thank goodness. :) That house was built by some neighbors that lived next to my parents for several years. There's a whole twisted story I won't tell right now. :rolleyes:

Paul

DaneCA
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm going to a fundraiser tonight. All proceeds go to earthquake relief in Haiti. A friend of mine organized it with a few of her friends. I'm SO impressed with people who decide to plan something like this. I'm all for giving to charity and already gave some money to Haiti through the American Red Cross, but I wouldn't even think to organize an event like this. I'm glad they're doing it and I hope it's a success!

PenforPrez
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I just finished filing my own taxes online. I might actually have done them correctly. :p But I was determined to do them myself this year. :)

Rest of the evening, got a lot of correspondence to catch up on. Early night; I'm tired. :(

Paul

Tayl405
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I cannot wait for this day (and week) to be over... it's been torturous!

Tonight I'm going out to dinner with a group of friends for the last night of restaurant week (too bad it's FREEZING here!). The rest of the weekend I plan to just take it easy and relax at home. Need to do some cleaning, go to the gym....

But yay, it's Friday!!! :D

hoodie
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Tonight I'm taking the young'uns skiing. Gotta love being a school club sponsor! :D

A little bit worried about the cold though - the low tonight is going to be pretty darn frigid.

LakeJay
01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Visiting one more reception hall tonight. Hopefully this is the last one. Then a nice Mexican dinner at Jose Tejas. Maybe go to the mall after. I need to make a return.

Whatever we do, I want it to be inside because it is freakin' cold outside.

winneythepooh7
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
My son and I are going to leave in a couple hours to go to my parents house for the night and the day tommorrow.

Bocheezu
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Hanging out with mom at the hospital. I got her the 3 things she wanted really badly:

1. Coke Zero (they only have Pepsi products there)
2. Honey Nut Cheerios
3. Cut watermelon chunks

Then I'll wait for her meal to get there around 6-6:30. Probably fish. I'll feed her some, tell her to eat more when she only eats a few bites, and she'll say no and tell me to eat the rest of the meal. I'll eat the rest of the meal, the nurses will think my mom has some crazy appetite all of a sudden, and then I get to look like a dick when I tell them I ate most of it. Then we watch the news until she zonks out around 7:30.

pisces2473
01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Running errands, then going home to make a quiche, lol. Never made one before, including crust from scratch! Scary. :evil:

My hubs switched his hours for today so he'll be home at a NORMAL hour--around 6 instead of NINE, as is usual for him on Fridays.

ETA: I have made crusts from scratch before, but not for a quiche

PenforPrez
01-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Sitting here with dinner--the last of my homemade chili. Yum. :) Working on quizbowl correspondence most of the evening; I'm running two tournaments in February and working a large tournament tomorrow. It's the busy time of year for me; I'll have almost no Saturdays to myself from now until late April. :(

Paul

ugarachel82
01-29-2010, 08:01 PM
It's been a rough week. Sitting here with high hopes for a child free weekend and some much-needed me time. Got dance class on Saturday and Yoga on Sunday, and some errands to run. Just relaxing. :rolleyes:

LowCarbLife
01-29-2010, 08:55 PM
This week has been a LIVING HELL. Its 8pm and I'm going to bed...seriously!

goingthroughQLC
01-29-2010, 10:26 PM
writing my case paper and also packing for my trip ;)

Tayl405
02-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Watching the premier of Lost and SUPER EXCITED! :D

steph78
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Watching the premier of Lost and SUPER EXCITED! :D
Me too - I sure hope they finally answer all my questions this season!

DaneCA
02-02-2010, 06:47 PM
I still haven't caught up on the LAST season of Lost! I keep meaning to do that but it just seems overwhelming at this point.

My favorite-ever Thai restaurant is celebrating their 18-year anniversary tonight so that's where I'm going for dinner! Free appetizers ... woohoo!!!

steph78
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I still haven't caught up on the LAST season of Lost! I keep meaning to do that but it just seems overwhelming at this point.

I felt the same way about Flash Forward - I DVR'd the entire fall season before I watched a single episode, and it seemed like so much I debated just deleting it all and skipping the whole show. Caught up on them all in January, though.

If you've stuck with Lost this far, you might as well watch the rest and find out what happens!

Tayl405
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Eating sushi!!! Mmm...

FishOutOfWater
02-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Going on day 3 of an annoying runny-nose head cold. I may have gotten my flu shots, but I've managed to get a cold now twice in the past month!

FishOutOfWater
02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
So my SO and I just signed a lease this afternoon for an apartment in his college town... in early February for a late-June lease. Most of the people there (the place was a mad-house) were signing leases today for SEPTEMBER moves. Ridiculous, right!? :eek: His college town has a really competitive and crunched housing market, so you have to start early to get the best places. We were just starting to look (nothing had thrilled us yet), but we got a phone call from one of his classmates this morning telling us about how much she loves her complex and how they were leasing starting today. Apparently they lease all the available places in a couple days, so we dropped everything and drove over. It turned out the place was absolutely perfect and everything we were looking for in our next apartment, so we decided to bite the bullet and reserve the place.

Even though I'm kind of shocked I just signed a lease so quickly and suddenly, I'm glad we're done with the housing hunt and don't have to worry about it anymore! I'm so grateful to his classmate for tipping us off; she even talked to the manager before calling us and found out if they had an apartment when we needed it. If the complex weren't giving her a discount for referring us I'd buy her a huge fruit basket or something. lol.

PenforPrez
02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I finally got a good night's sleep last night; been short on sleep for the last week getting ready for the tournament I ran yesterday. My work is still not done, but most of the hard stuff is over.

Just taking it easy today. Back to work tomorrow, so might as well enjoy it while I can. :p

Paul

PenforPrez
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Tonight, it's trivia night once again. :D I kinda don't want to go cause I'm very tired (more than usual), but this is the highlight of my week and after today, I need something. :p

Paul

PenforPrez
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
I've got a busy day ahead. On the way to trivia last night, my car hit a massive unseen pothole and destroyed my tire! :( Four cars lost tires in that pothole in the span of 15 or so minutes. :eek: So I have to get a new tire, which I can't afford. :( Also, my key got bent, either by the impact or something afterwards, so I have to go get the spare key from my parents.

I didn't need that. Especially after I slipped and fell in the snow on Monday. It's been a weird week.

Paul

PenforPrez
02-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Been a busy few days; I'm glad to have the chance to slow down. :)

Today is not Valentine's Day; today is St. Louis Day. :) I found out a few years ago that the city of St. Louis was first established on February 14 (or Feb. 15, depending on the source you consult) in 1764, I believe. I hate Valentine's Day, so I commemorate that instead. ;) Sleeping in till 11:30 helps make today easier. :D

Eating pizza right now; I need to get up and get my commemoration on. I have a few ritualistic things I like to do on St. Louis Day--the Art Museum, the Mississippi-Missouri river confluence, toasted ravioli. I wanted to see about a tour of the Bud brewery today, but I forgot that today is the peak of St. Louis' Mardi Gras celebration in the old French neighborhood nearby. I don't want to get mixed up in that! Later on, my favorite restaurant is doing their annual "Valentine's Day is Dumb" party. That should be fun. :D

Paul

wordsmith
02-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Just got back from an outing of my vocal jazz ensemble...we went and sang a couple of Valentine's Day programs at a local nursing home, which was a really nice thing to do for people who might not have much going on on Valentine's Day. My SO came to cheer us on, along with a few of the other women in the ensemble's SOs, and we all went out for drinks afterward. My SO and I are about to walk (in the snow, romantic!) to a little Italian restaurant about two blocks from our house and exchange gifts, and then go to a movie.

ugarachel82
02-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Just got back from an outing of my vocal jazz ensemble...we went and sang a couple of Valentine's Day programs at a local nursing home, which was a really nice thing to do for people who might not have much going on on Valentine's Day. My SO came to cheer us on, along with a few of the other women in the ensemble's SOs, and we all went out for drinks afterward. My SO and I are about to walk (in the snow, romantic!) to a little Italian restaurant about two blocks from our house and exchange gifts, and then go to a movie.

OK, that is just about the sweetest thing I ever read. Hope you two lovebirds had fun! :)

FishOutOfWater
02-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Went to a champagne brunch for Valentine's Day. Today I'm writing a paper.

I have Mondays off every week, so the fact that everyone ELSE has it off today is throwing me off! :)

Tayl405
02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Mmm... champagne brunch....

I am trying to go to this kickbox cardio class, but not really feeling up to it. I just want to go home and sleep!

hoodie
02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Watching Lost, natch! :)

LakeJay
02-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Beer and wings for Fat Tuesday

Tayl405
02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Beer and wings for Fat Tuesday

You'd better DVR Lost!

PenforPrez
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Still working hard on quizbowl stuff tonight; that takes up most of my free time these days. I ran a college tournament two weeks ago; went very well, made some money at it. :) This weekend is a high school tournament I've spent a year developing, and it's already hugely successful. Just have to get the details nailed down for Saturday.

Tomorrow is my father's birthday; he'll be 83. :) I wish I could be with him, but I can't. :( He already got the best birthday present he could ask for--a Missourian won the Daytona 500 on Sunday (Jamie McMurray). :p

Paul

LakeJay
02-17-2010, 01:20 PM
You'd better DVR Lost!

It's on schedule, buddy. :D

Tayl405
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
It's on schedule, buddy. :D

Let me know what you think. I am undecided.

Tonight I am going to re-watch Lost and try to pack for New Orleans. The weather there is so in-between and unpredictable that I have NO IDEA what to bring. I think I am going to have to pull everything out of my closet and play around with outfits. Not fun!

FishOutOfWater
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm officially an Olympics junkie. I've been watching every night! :heehee:

ugarachel82
02-17-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm officially an Olympics junkie. I've been watching every night! :heehee:

I feel ya. It definitely has a way of hooking you. I sometimes only intend to watch the skating events, but once I start, they mix it up on ya and you never know when they will be on, so you end up watching the WHOLE night. It's crazy. I'm also playing online scrabble while I watch, so I'm a Scrabble/Olympics junkie. I don't know which one is worse. :rolleyes:

PenforPrez
02-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Went to the bookstore after work to get books to hand out at my tournament this weekend. This is the bookstore next to the porno shop. Next to the liquor store. :rolleyes: Missouri really has some interesting combinations with things like that. The best I've ever seen is still the Christian porn shop I found about a decade ago. :evil:

Still working on tournament stuff; I'll be busy through Saturday.

Paul

HDC80
02-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Last night cooked up a storm once FF decided after the gym that he would be heading my way.
Baked glazed chicken, spinach/avocado/tomato/dandelion greens and other mixed greens salad.
Strawberries and cool whip for dessert.

Then we watched the Invention of Lying and then mens figure skating (making fun of the dudes the entire time)

Tonight…..I have a friends 31st Bday party at a nice lounge. Everyone is getting together so should be a good time, though FF has to work, Boo.

Tomorrow im running a bajillion errands before my mothers HUGE 60th Bday party.
Stretch limo picks us up (surprise for her) at 630 (with a set of my parents friends already inside)
3 town cars pick up other guests who will be at the restaurant before we get there, which she also doesn’t know about.
We have a private room, our own private party menu and wine list. (steak, lobster, escargot, pasta, mixed green salad, a nice chianti as well as a reisling and savonion blanc)…dessert is a 3 tier double chocolate cake with godiva martini’s.

Hopefully this finishes and Im back at my car for 11 or so----trying to head into the city with some friends to catch a DJ that’s playing at a small club we like….timing will be insane, but if it can be pulled off, it would be great.

Sunday, Ill be driving to see FF once he’s off work in the morning and probably staying far later than I should before driving the hour back home.

Tayl405
02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I have heard the Invention of Lying is good, but not as funny as to be expected. Is that true?

Our New Orleans trip was cancelled due to a death of a family member of one of the girls going. SO sad, and a huge bummer for everyone. So I have no idea what I'm doing now this weekend. Going to try to enjoy it as best possible!!

FishOutOfWater
02-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Taylor, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's loss, as well as the fact that you all had to miss the trip.

I've gotten sick AGAIN, which is a serious bummer. I have a sore throat, dry cough, am achey, and have no energy to do much but lie down, but I don't have a fever. I hope it goes away soon because I need to give a presentation Tuesday, and my voice is raspy. I already had to cancel going to a classmate's birthday party and some plans I had this afternoon. :(

I think the stress of this final semester of grad school is just killing my immune system because I normally never get sick. Can't wait till I graduate in just 3 mos!!!!

wordsmith
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
We are once again stymied by weather, with an inch of ice coating everything. Even walking the dog was a risky proposition this a.m., as every single surface was a skating rink, and it's not getting any better as the day goes on.

It will be glorious when spring weather arrives, ostensibly in another month or so.

steph78
02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
We are once again stymied by weather, with an inch of ice coating everything. Even walking the dog was a risky proposition this a.m., as every single surface was a skating rink, and it's not getting any better as the day goes on.

It will be glorious when spring weather arrives, ostensibly in another month or so.
Sorry about your weather, it does get old after awhile, I know. My old high school actually collapsed last weekend due to snow on the roof, it is really weird looking at all the pictures online. My mom starts threatening to buy a condo in Florida around this time every year. If it's any consolation, after snow/ice on Mon. and Tues. here it actually hit 70 degrees today. Spring is not TOO far off!

I am pricing my kids' outgrown baby clothes for a consignment sale tonight. I think I counted about 100 items I want to try and sell, and I've priced about 3 dozen of them so far. I am nursing a headache that I think is the result of giving up carbonated beverages for Lent (caffeine withdrawal?) and I'm thinking it's going to be a long evening. I'd better make some good money from selling this stuff...otherwise it's so not worth it.

ugarachel82
02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Made a yummy butternut squash pizza for dinner (and have lots of left overs for lunches this week) and took a luxurious bath with jasmine oil. I'm trying to relax more, and this is part of my effort to do so. I'm finally ready to start my week, I think.

wordsmith
02-22-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm seriously over this gross weather. I did fishtail my way to the store (only about a mile away) out on the skating rink streets so I could make this week's lunches. The evening was spent making homemade soup and dividing it into single serving containers to freeze. Then I cleaned the dog's crate and took a hot bath. Now I'm having tea and getting ready to go to sleep.

wordsmith
02-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Made a yummy butternut squash pizza for dinner (and have lots of left overs for lunches this week) and took a luxurious bath with jasmine oil. I'm trying to relax more, and this is part of my effort to do so. I'm finally ready to start my week, I think.

What's your recipe? I love nontraditional pizza toppings,and I love butternut squash.

ugarachel82
02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
The recipe came from Real Simple magazine.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/butternut-squash-flat-bread-recipe-00000000029798/index.html

I didn't have the flat bread and used pre-made pizza crust.

Also, If I had to do it again I would chop the squash finer, or even better, mash it into a puree. The crust was so thin that by the time I finished cooking it, the squash wasn't soft enough but the crust was almost burnt.

But it was super easy to prepare and make! I just chopped all the ingredients (squash, half a red onion) and threw them in a bowl with some pine nuts, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Then, I spread them all over a pre-made pizza crust and threw the cheddar cheese on top of that.

I should put this in the recipe thread! :)

ugarachel82
02-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Also, pine nuts are really expensive and our local grocery store didn't have them in bulk. Those can easily be left off if you want to forgo the expense.

wordsmith
02-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Looks good. I subscribe to Real Simple, but must have missed that recipe. Looks good. I might chunk and steam the squash first to make sure it softens appropriately. Butternut squash can be hard as a rock.

Ugh, unfortunately, another snow day...for which I don't get paid; we're over our allowable limit. Now we're going to have to bite into Spring Break to make it up. We already sacrificed our already-scheduled-off Presidents' Day to make up a snow day. It's not even that bad. The weekend was worse. Makes me mad.

pisces2473
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Making dinner--something soft since my husband has two different dental work appts today :eek:--then the usual cleanup...maybe throw in some laundry. Definitely have to go see the neighbors and bring them a banana bread to thank them after the husband helped me with my stuck-in-a-snowbank car during last week's snow storm.

wordsmith
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Snow day is resulting in major house cleaning, laundry, and I'm making a pot roast, which is smelling delicious and making the dog crazy.

PenforPrez
02-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Trivia night again. I have so much to do, but I need trivia night this week. I've been so exhausted I can barely move and my back has been killing me all week. :(

I've got so much to do--need to email teams about attending quizbowl nationals, need to work on my grad school stuff, need to organize my room. Can't I just clone myself and get it all done?? :p

Paul

wordsmith
02-24-2010, 09:16 PM
My first night off this week, so chilling with the dog while J's at class.

Tayl405
02-25-2010, 07:05 AM
My first night off this week, so chilling with the dog while J's at class.

I know I'm just waking up, but that sounded like you were talking slang...haha.

Minipan
02-26-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm going to a silent film screening of The Merry Widow accompanied by live Wurlitzer organ. Dessert/coffee to follow. It's rainy and gloomy here so watching a silent 1920s black and white film seems appropriate.

wordsmith
02-26-2010, 09:29 PM
I was hanging out with Mormon missionaries, now I think I'm going to watch some Law and Order and maybe make a panini.

ugarachel82
02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Tonight I'm enjoying a glass of wine and watching one of my new favorite movies, "Some Kind of Wonderful." I don't know why I didn't know about this movie before now. So great. :)

CoolAZN
02-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I made Colby cheese Panko breaded Tilapia taco for dinner.
It turned out well. I am pleased :p

With the additional snow we receive this morning, I stayed home (after a half day of work) instead of going to a social event in the city. Getting some things done and getting some sleep.

wordsmith
02-26-2010, 10:30 PM
The pannini was good.

Tayl405
02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Last night I went out for a friend's birthday and drank WAY more than I had planned to. Kinda hurting today and I have to go out tonight for another friend's birthday. I wish I could nap!

CoolAZN
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Last night I went out for a friend's birthday and drank WAY more than I had planned to. Kinda hurting today and I have to go out tonight for another friend's birthday. I wish I could nap!Sound like you had a wonderful time at the b-day outing. Time spent with friends are great! So enjoy another night. And do relax on Sunday.
-----------
Having company over tonight.
Not sure what we may do.

ugarachel82
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Headed over to a friends for dinner and then trying to catch the tail end of a folk festival in town. If not, just chillin' with friends.

PenforPrez
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm taking the day off today to take the GRE. I'm not worried about doing well on it; it should be fine. :) Since I have the day off, I'm also hoping to get caught up on everything else I'm behind on at the moment. I might cook tonight; depends on how caught up I get.

Paul

HDC80
03-02-2010, 09:29 AM
My roommate has set up drinks with a friend of mine she's crushing on.....and she asked if I was free AFTER she made the plans.

Lets just say she's testing the waters of what it would be like if she were to get rid of her BF....while she wont be kissing this guy or anything, and its the two of them, myself and my BF and another mutual friend.....its good for her to find out how this makes her feel and if it makes her REALLY want to be with her BF or really NOT want to be with him.

SO surely there will be drinks, shots and my liver will pay for it tomrorow, but Im feeling like there will be some good stories to come from this evening!

wordsmith
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Making a nice pasta dinner for my SO and myself (okay, he'll totally be in charge of the pasta), walking the dog, and going to rehearsal for my jazz ensemble, then coming home and snuggling. Pretty much a perfect evening.

winneythepooh7
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Hot yoga class if all goes as planned.

steph78
03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm taking the day off today to take the GRE. I'm not worried about doing well on it; it should be fine. :) Since I have the day off, I'm also hoping to get caught up on everything else I'm behind on at the moment. I might cook tonight; depends on how caught up I get.

Paul

Good luck on the GRE! I remember that day - fun times. Back when I took it, they gave you an experimental section along with the three sections that actually counted. I had two verbal sections so I figured one of those was the experimental section...but didn't know for sure which one would count and which one was just to mess with me. One I felt I did reasonably well on, the other I knew I had absolutely bombed...it was a little nerve-wracking waiting for my scores. Luckily, I think the ridiculously hard one was the experimental section, so I scored well enough that I didn't land myself in ESL classes in grad school. :)

I'm sure you'll do great!

PenforPrez
03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Good luck on the GRE! I remember that day - fun times. Back when I took it, they gave you an experimental section along with the three sections that actually counted. I had two verbal sections so I figured one of those was the experimental section...but didn't know for sure which one would count and which one was just to mess with me. One I felt I did reasonably well on, the other I knew I had absolutely bombed...it was a little nerve-wracking waiting for my scores. Luckily, I think the ridiculously hard one was the experimental section, so I scored well enough that I didn't land myself in ESL classes in grad school. :)

I'm sure you'll do great!

I took the test; looks like I did alright. :) I got my verbal and quantitative scores. One of the grad programs I'm looking at requires a score of 550 in both categories; I cleared both of those by a fair margin. That program also has the average scores of incoming students, and I cleared both averages as well. Not bad considering I barely studied. :rolleyes: Just have to wait for my writing scores. I think I bombed the first one, but the second one was pretty good. :)

Paul

Tayl405
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm not feeling well at all today. Just going home and going to try to stay awake for Lost, but not counting on it.

Sucks too, because I'm actually in the mood to do something!

FishOutOfWater
03-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm off to Sports Chalet to try and score some cheap winter gear. Exciting, I know. :p

PenforPrez
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm finally getting to do some proper cooking for the first time in weeks. I don't feel like it, but I don't have a choice. Still getting caught up on correspondence and doing laundry. I wish I could have a quiet night for once. :(

Paul

wordsmith
03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Had Open House at the school I work for from 5:30-7:30. I didn't go home in between my school day (ends at 5) and the open house, so I was at the school from 8 this morning until nearly 8 tonight. Afterward, my boyfriend and I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner.

winneythepooh7
03-05-2010, 06:11 AM
I have off on Fridays so I am thinking of driving Upstate with my son to see my parents for the day. They've been away for a couple weeks and I know are dying to see him. I think before they ask to come down here for another week, I will just bring him up there. :D:evil:

HDC80
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Tonight Im heading to the FF's place and we'll go out in town to our usual haunts.
He works tomrorrow so Ill sleep in a bit after his 715 departure......

Then Ill drive home to run a few errands and last minute things for the baby shower I have at 3pm.
Ill also attempt to clean my house since I have people crashing Saturday night.

After the baby shower FF and his co-worker (a fellow FF) will be at my place so we can all go to the Muse/SilverSun pickups concert.

After the concert, most likely meeting a group of friends out at a lounge at this really nice hotel nearby.

Unsure about Sunday....will depend if the guys came up together or in seperate cars.....they both have to work Sunday night....so could all spend the day together, or his buddy might head back to his family for the day and Ill get the afternoon with my FF.....

Cant wait!

Minipan
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Dinner/drinks and then film festival.

LakeJay
03-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Birthday dinner at all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant :D and getting ready for Boston road trip.

pisces2473
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Spa appointment, then out for dinner/drinks for a friend's birthday.

Tayl405
03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Spa appointment, then out for dinner/drinks for a friend's birthday.

Is today your birthday or is that next week?

Tayl405
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Birthday dinner at all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant :D and getting ready for Boston road trip.

Whose birthday?

I just ate too much at an all-you-can eat Indian restaurant for lunch. It's hours later and I'm STILL too full! I won't be too full for drinks at happy hour tonight, though. :)

pisces2473
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Is today your birthday or is that next week?
Aww, that's sweet of you to remember. It's next Friday. Do you remember Coll214 who posted here awhile back? We became friends THROUGH this site (she was even in my wedding). It was her bday yesterday, so a bunch of people are going out tonight for her.

wordsmith
03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Tonight is probably dinner and the Tim Burton Alice after I get done with my tutoring job. Might not have so many free evenings soon, as I'm adding yet another PT job that will likely have evening hours.

ebruening
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Tonight is probably dinner and the Tim Burton Alice after I get done with my tutoring job. Might not have so many free evenings soon, as I'm adding yet another PT job that will likely have evening hours.

Let me know how the movie is - I've been debating whether to go to Alice, since I'm so very fond of the original, and I love Tim Burton, but I haven't so much liked the reviews of the film. I'll take your recommendation, Words.

Minipan
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Tim Burton succeeds at ruining all originals. His movies are visually stimulating but that's really about it.

steph78
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Was supposed to go to girls' night out with a group of five friends, but EVERYONE except me is sick today so it got cancelled very last-minute, and now instead of going out and having a kid-free evening, I am somehow in charge of figuring dinner out for my family. I feel like the guy in Clerks - "I wasn't even supposed to BE here today!"

FreeAtLast
03-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I am chilling out tonight, i got owned this week with college stuff.

Might drink a few beers and watch a movie, my roommate is out of town.

pisces2473
03-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Was supposed to go to girls' night out with a group of five friends, but EVERYONE except me is sick today so it got cancelled very last-minute, and now instead of going out and having a kid-free evening, I am somehow in charge of figuring dinner out for my family. I feel like the guy in Clerks - "I wasn't even supposed to BE here today!"

OK I just have to throw this out there---the deli up the street from our house has a sign on the door that says "we are VERY open." LOL

steph78
03-06-2010, 07:40 AM
ha, we ended up going out for sandwiches! I would have made something at home but we discovered that my son had an allergic reaction to something and had crazy hives all over his chest and stomach and we had to go on a frantic quest to a pharmacy for children's Benadryl and instructions on how much to give a 9 month old, and by then it was past time to eat. Why does this stuff have to happen on Friday nights?

PenforPrez
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Trying to take it slow today. We'll see how long that lasts. :p Working on issues for the all-star team I'm coaching. We've picked the players we want; now we have to make sure they're available. I have to make a formal announcement on that this week.

Later on, I'm going to an Oscar party with a friend of mine. I've never been into the Oscars, but he is. Should be fun. :)

Paul

Minipan
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Drinking wine, watching the academy awards, lounging about snacking.

winneythepooh7
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Watching Law & Order, waiting for the season finale of Big Love.

wordsmith
03-08-2010, 01:51 AM
We went to an Oscar viewing party in the outdoor area of the Power and Light district in downtown KC. It's open air, but has a canopy with big heat lamps, so it wasn't too chilly...and they also had a Snuggie theme, which was fun. Free popcorn and snacks, beer to buy. Good times.

FishOutOfWater
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
My birthday was over the weekend, so we went skiing, out to dinner, and then watched the Oscars last night. Today I'm writing a powerpoint for a presentation tomorrow that I avoided doing all weekend!

HDC80
03-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Tonight is my big prep for the week and weekend ahead night.

Ran the dishwasher this morning.....so upon leaving work and dashing to the post office with work related mail----

Ill be hitting up the grocery store for lunch foods, and cookie making materials.

Ill get home.....put away the dishes and cold food....then run upstairs to throw laundry (2 loads tonight...as I only do laundry once a week)

Then back down to the kitchen to prep and make cookie dough (sugar cookies so it will have to sit in the fridge tonight to make for good baking tomorrow)

Then I have to update my FB invite for my big summer trip, since I booked my hotel room today (so far I have 10 confirmed people gonig so this should hopefully amp those already RSVP to book their hotel and spark those that havent responded to figure out if they'll be making it)

And that will be my Monday night. If Im lucky, I should be sitting down finally around 9 to then catch all the stuff that will be DVRing tonight!

winneythepooh7
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
HDC:

I thought you did laundry every day?

ugarachel82
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Recovering from the day and hopefully making it to Yoga tonight. :)

wordsmith
03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Just finished chopping up herbs for pasta and walking the dog, will make dinner and head to choir practice, hopefully beat the thunderstorm.

Minipan
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
picking up dry cleaning, drinking some wine, picking-up the house before the cleaning lady comes tomorrow, eventually collapsing in bed with a good book after a hot bath

winneythepooh7
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Waiting for my husband to get home from work so I can freakin' eat already. I am starved!

pisces2473
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Just finished dinner clean up, going to iron my hubs' interviewing clothes in a bit ;)

ETA: Am I the only one who's night runs away from them??? I got home around 5:45, helped my hubs find some docs for his interview tomorrow, we started making dinner, ate around 7, was done eating and had the kitchen cleaned up by 8:15. Here it is, just after 8:30...and still need to iron and get ready for tomorrow.

Minipan
03-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Waiting for my husband to get home from work so I can freakin' eat already. I am starved!

omg this is story of my life!!

Minipan
03-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Just finished dinner clean up, going to iron my hubs' interviewing clothes in a bit ;)

ETA: Am I the only one who's night runs away from them??? I got home around 5:45, helped my hubs find some docs for his interview tomorrow, we started making dinner, ate around 7, was done eating and had the kitchen cleaned up by 8:15. Here it is, just after 8:30...and still need to iron and get ready for tomorrow.

Seems like a lot of time on dinner. I was home by 5:45 and husband was home by 6:00. We were done with dinner at 6:20.

PenforPrez
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
We went to an Oscar viewing party in the outdoor area of the Power and Light district in downtown KC. It's open air, but has a canopy with big heat lamps, so it wasn't too chilly...and they also had a Snuggie theme, which was fun. Free popcorn and snacks, beer to buy. Good times.

My friend won the Oscar competition at the party we were at for the second year in a row--he had 19 out of 24 correct. Won a 32-inch LCD TV for his trouble. When he won last year (with 22 out of 24), he won a 26-inch LCD TV. My friend quipped that he was going to open a Radio Shack in his apartment. :rolleyes:

Paul

pisces2473
03-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Seems like a lot of time on dinner. I was home by 5:45 and husband was home by 6:00. We were done with dinner at 6:20.
Did you start cooking/prepping before he got home? What did you eat?

We didn't start til a little after 6...and granted, we didn't know that what we were eating was going to take this long to cook. We'd bought some frozen Chinese dumplings at the Asian market a few weeks ago...but didn't realize they took awhile to cook...and we had to do it in batches, and stick the finished ones in the oven to keep warm. Not a quick meal, like we thought when we purchased them. :rolleyes: We also made stir fry veggies. I was able to unload the dishwasher and do some clean up while the food was cooking, so that helped, and we talked while we were cooking.

But most of the time, our dinner prep and eating time takes at least an hour. Then there's clean up...my husband does think I screw around and take longer than it should. Maybe I do? lol

HDC80
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Granted I only cook for one-----but I had gone grocery shopping, put away said groceries, had put in a load of laundry to start…..updated my FB invitation for my big summer trip (booked my hotel room needed to tell people so they can figure out their plans)…..

I left work at 5, was home by 5:45…..and I sliced up chicken & peppers, grabbed a tortilla and threw the ingredients on, folded, wrapped in tin foil……and was eating by 6:15.

While that was cooking I prepped cookie dough for the 4 dozen shamrock cookies Im baking tonight (stupid dough has to sit in the fridge overnight)

I then cleaned the entire kitchen, and living room and was sitting down hanging out with my roommate by 745.

Anyway-----as for the question about laundry….every Monday (unless a long weekend then its Tuesday) I do laundry. Its how I rotate my clothes, and make sure not to wear the same things each week. Since I wash my clothes Monday…..let the ones that need to line dry, dry overnight….then Tuesday I put everything into the dryer and run it again….then its usually Wednesday night when things are finally folded and put away (though typically it happens Thursday night)…..so those clothes that are in the wash today, wouldn’t be in the closet hanging ready to wear until end of week…..also allows me to be sure I do wear everything in my closet rather than keep going back to the same items over and over again.

pisces2473
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Granted I only cook for one-----but I had gone grocery shopping, put away said groceries, had put in a load of laundry to start…..updated my FB invitation for my big summer trip (booked my hotel room needed to tell people so they can figure out their plans)…..

I left work at 5, was home by 5:45…..and I sliced up chicken & peppers, grabbed a tortilla and threw the ingredients on, folded, wrapped in tin foil……and was eating by 6:15.

While that was cooking I prepped cookie dough for the 4 dozen shamrock cookies Im baking tonight (stupid dough has to sit in the fridge overnight)

I then cleaned the entire kitchen, and living room and was sitting down hanging out with my roommate by 745.

Anyway-----as for the question about laundry….every Monday (unless a long weekend then its Tuesday) I do laundry. Its how I rotate my clothes, and make sure not to wear the same things each week. Since I wash my clothes Monday…..let the ones that need to line dry, dry overnight….then Tuesday I put everything into the dryer and run it again….then its usually Wednesday night when things are finally folded and put away (though typically it happens Thursday night)…..so those clothes that are in the wash today, wouldn’t be in the closet hanging ready to wear until end of week…..also allows me to be sure I do wear everything in my closet rather than keep going back to the same items over and over again.
You let your laundry sit in the washer for approx 24 hrs before you dry it? Doesn't it smell musty?

Wow, your chicken cooked fast! That's awesome.

Minipan
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Did you start cooking/prepping before he got home? What did you eat?

We didn't start til a little after 6...and granted, we didn't know that what we were eating was going to take this long to cook. We'd bought some frozen Chinese dumplings at the Asian market a few weeks ago...but didn't realize they took awhile to cook...and we had to do it in batches, and stick the finished ones in the oven to keep warm. Not a quick meal, like we thought when we purchased them. :rolleyes: We also made stir fry veggies. I was able to unload the dishwasher and do some clean up while the food was cooking, so that helped, and we talked while we were cooking.

But most of the time, our dinner prep and eating time takes at least an hour. Then there's clean up...my husband does think I screw around and take longer than it should. Maybe I do? lol

We just had salads and bread..and they were Trader Joe's salads. We usually do pretty simple dinners..not so much to save on timing but because neither one of us is huge on cooking after a long day and I'm usually starving by the time I get home and just want something quick.

HDC80
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
NO I dont let wet clothes sit in the dryer.

I have clothes that can be dried in the drier, and others that need to line dry.

I run the dryer for the clothes that are in the machine.....and then let the others sit in the air to dry on a drying rack.

Tonight I take those clothes that line dried, put them in the dryer (to take out wrinkles and make them feel soft) by running another full dryer cycle....with the other clothes that were already in there.

HDC80
03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
As for the chicken, just cut it into strips and put it into the stuff I had set up to make whatever you want to call my dinner concoction.

Place int he oven for 15 - 20....and BAM dinner.

DaneCA
03-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Tonight, I'm packing for the weekend and watching my favorite NBC shows -- Parks & Recreation, The Office and 30 Rock. Tomorrow after work, I'm off to L.A. to visit my best friend. We're going out somewhere up there, then Saturday morning, a group of us are driving to Santa Barbara where we'll spend the weekend drinking, eating and shopping. It will be a really fun way to celebrate my birthday after kind of a "meh" actual birthday.

Tayl405
03-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I didn't realize it's your birthday, Dane. Happy Birthday! Have fun this weekend!

wordsmith
03-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Worked my new second job from 3:30 until 8, am taking a break before launching into cleaning and reorganizing our den.

DaneCA
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
I didn't realize it's your birthday, Dane. Happy Birthday! Have fun this weekend!

Thank you! We will. My real birthday was actually yesterday, but I had to work and deal with other drama. This weekend will be much better! :)

sondra_finchley
03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
GMAT study- Ive got about three weeks left until app is due and the test has to be taken. Really getting tired of it.

Also got call from mom earlier that my sister in law tripped on some asphalt and shattered her kneecap and broke her tibia straight up the middle and is presently in surgery. That was today- yesterday she and my brother both found out where they work has been sold and they only have 60 days left, and have no idea if they will be offered jobs with the new company- across the country. Talk about a bad week!

ugarachel82
03-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Received notice that I am officially laid off starting at the end of the school year. I saw it coming, but it still sucks. So what did I do? I went to get a cheap facial at the teaching salon near me and then I came home and started frantically applying to part time jobs, including a scoring gig I can do at home that pays $12/hour that I was instantly accepted to. It is scoring season, after all. Now, it's 10pm and I'm going to bed.

Brunch in the morning with some friends, and then back here for more looking for work.

wordsmith
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
That sucks. Sorry about the layoff, I know they're worried about that at my mom's school, as well (where both my parents are employed).

I'm sitting here in denial that I probably have whatever vile illness half our staff and student body has been breeding for a week, now. Just in time for an all-day choral marathon rehearsal, too. I bet anything I wake up with a raw throat and have to go sing all day tomorrow.

winneythepooh7
03-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah that does suck! Sorry to hear that!

Yesterday, I was able to get an early yoga class in with my SIL and MIL.

Then came home and pretty much vegged out.

Today I am staying in all day because it's raining like crazy here. We are afraid of flooding again. Water came into our basement a couple weekends ago and it was not fun times! I guess this is the trade-off for living so close to the water.

Tommorrow morning, I have yoga class at 7AM, then we are going to a St. Patrick's Day brunch at our friends' and then we have my twin nieces' 1st birthday party.

winneythepooh7
03-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, I was able to get a yoga class in this afternoon but YIKES!!!

It's like mayhem outside right now here. We have a REALLY bad rain/wind storm going on. We've lost a few pieces of siding off of our house...........trees and powerlines are down everywhere on our block. DH and our neighbor almost had a tree come down onto them about 6 houses down.......it ended up falling on a transformer.

Firetrucks everywhere, total chaos!!!! We are only a few blocks from the Great South Bay so that's not helping things.

ugarachel82
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, I was able to get a yoga class in this afternoon but YIKES!!!

It's like mayhem outside right now here. We have a REALLY bad rain/wind storm going on. We've lost a few pieces of siding off of our house...........trees and powerlines are down everywhere on our block. DH and our neighbor almost had a tree come down onto them about 6 houses down.......it ended up falling on a transformer.

Firetrucks everywhere, total chaos!!!! We are only a few blocks from the Great South Bay so that's not helping things.

Wow scary scary stuff. Glad everyone near you is OK though.

ugarachel82
03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
After brunch I ended up swinging by a catering company in the area that I heard was hiring for second shift jobs and dropped off my resume. Came home, cleaned the house, and watched two more SIX FEET UNDER episodes. I'm only on the first season and THIS IS AN AMAZING SHOW. (Peter Kruse is hot too.) Hanging out, trying to job search, and trying to relax and make a plan for the week all at once. Not really succeeding at either.

winneythepooh7
03-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, I will wait and see what it's like here tommorrow morning after the storm has passed.

Many people are referring to it as the equivalent of a "war zone" outside.

There are lots of fires from downed powerlines and flooding everywhere.

Native Long Islanders even are saying they never remember it being this bad all the years they've lived here!

Minipan
03-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Just ate an entire jar of pickles while watching a pretty bad documentary. Now planning to take a bath and then have a night cap.

PenforPrez
03-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Today was payday. Yay! :D Went to Target and got some new pants for my vacation. They're stylish, or close to it. Maybe. I think. What do I know about stylish?? :rolleyes: Tried to talk to some girls while I was down there. It didn't go very well. Talking to girls scares me. :redface: I'm convinced they can see completely through me and my attempts at conversation.

More quizbowl work this evening; it's keeping me insanely busy right now. I'm trying to find some good places to eat for my upcoming vacation as well. :cool:

Paul

Tayl405
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Paul, where are you going on vacation?

I had been planning on going to yoga tonight, but it's so beautiful out and I'm really tempted to go out for St. Patty's Day. I've been really good about not spending money, eating well, and not drinking... that may all end tonight. :D

HDC80
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Im headnig out with my crew into Boston for Corn Beef, cabbage and far too much beer and booze.....all before coming home to pass out and get to work early.

I cant wait! This will be day 3 of celebrating St. Pats.....spent all Day Saturday drinking, bar hopping.....watching my FF BF march in the parade.....and totally getting soaked due to the monsoon!

FreeAtLast
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Not sure, getting obliterated with alcohol on St Pattys has lost it's appeal to me

I am however open to the idea of having a few drinks and hooking up with a complete stranger.

pisces2473
03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, I might want to try this corn beef...I've never heard of it before.

PenforPrez
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Paul, where are you going on vacation?

Washington, D.C. My friend from my hometown is going with his sister and mother; my friend's mother is going there for some sort of convention dealing with herbal remedies (she has a small business dealing with that). So we're road tripping it. :D

I love Washington. Washington is a real city. They have jobs (a few anyway), a social structure that's not completely FUed and a real mass transit system the citizens support (the D.C. Metro rocks :D). It's easy to meet people in Washington. You don't have to try there. Last time I was there, I actually had a girl hitting on me. :eek: I'm still in disbelief with that.

Hmmm, I might want to try this corn beef...I've never heard of it before.

One of the worst jokes I've ever heard was in a Cheech and Chong movie where Rip Taylor says, "I tried smoking hash but I couldn't light the corned beef." :rolleyes:

Paul

Minipan
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Happy hour with coworkers!

HDC80
03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
last night was great...met up with 2 sets of friends.....first group close to 5 people, second close to 15 people.
Hopefully seeing some of the same faces tomorrow night!

As for tonight----totally getting my hair done, Im so excited----nothing insane just a trim to get it to the shorter length it was.......

Then either shopping......heading home to do a few things....or possibly driving to the bar my BF is working the door for about an hour from my house to surprise him!

ugarachel82
03-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Totally out for sushi for a friend's surprise birthday party, then home to collapse.

winneythepooh7
03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Yoga again! I love it though, and I missed the last two days so can't wait.

Tayl405
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm just laying around. I watched Couples Retreat and really want to be on a beach vacation right now!

PenforPrez
03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I called in to work today; screw it. I can't afford to. But I can't afford to go on this trip to D.C. next month either. It'll be OK. I have a lot of quizbowl work to catch up on and personal correspondence to do. I need a nap; I've been sleep-deprived of late. :(

Paul

HDC80
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Just confirmed VIP table at one of the hottest clubs in Boston!!

Now pulling everyone together to meet up. Looks like it should be a doozie!

Then....my BF is working the door at some bar till close tonight....then heading my way.....if timing works, we'll get home at the same time, woot!

wordsmith
03-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Working with a little girl with autism in her home, my new second job. School's been out all week for spring break, so I haven't had to go to job #1 during the day.

ugarachel82
03-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I called in to work today as well. Screw it. Since receiving notice of my lay off, I've been super stressed and headachy lately and thought I could use today to catch up on job-search related stuff. I have sick time that I haven't used at all this year, so it's all good. Tonight, pending I feel OK, I might go to a game night at a friends house after one of our friend's gallery openings. We'll see. I don't want anything too high maintenance. Looking forward to a chill weekend.

winneythepooh7
03-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Not sure yet. I am going to probably take my son for a walk down to our local park, walk along the water, and then let him run around the kiddie playground if he takes a good nap this afternoon.

pisces2473
03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Not sure yet. I am going to probably take my son for a walk down to our local park, walk along the water, and then let him run around the kiddie playground if he takes a good nap this afternoon.
Heh, wear him out so he'll sleep good tonight! :D

Running errands....waiting for the hubs to come home...typical Friday 'round these parts.

Minipan
03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Shopping then going out to eat somewhere where we can sit outside. The weather is amazing!

winneythepooh7
03-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Heh, wear him out so he'll sleep good tonight! :D

LOL. He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad and such a boy.

My ILs watch him while I am at work, and when they bring him outside, he will instantly run and dive into a mud puddle, climb up steep deck steps, etc.

The weather is beautiful here though----the 70's. It's supposed to be in the 60's all weekend. :D

DaneCA
03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm looking forward to having a quiet night home alone! I'm getting up early (for a Saturday) tomorrow to buy Lady Gaga tickets (!!!), then I'm going shopping with a friend. Tomorrow night, I'm going with a big group to a magic show thing. I'm not really into magic, usually, but this takes place in a beautiful old Victorian home in Hollywood and it's supposed to be really, really cool. You have to be a member or with a member to get in; that's how special it is. The website reminds me of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. I'm excited!

ugarachel82
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM

My ILs watch him while I am at work, and when they bring him outside, he will instantly run and dive into a mud puddle, climb up steep deck steps, etc.

The weather is beautiful here though----the 70's. It's supposed to be in the 60's all weekend. :D

So jealous. We got teased here yesterday with 65. But today it's only 40 and we're due for a cold front this weekend. I knew it was too good to be true in Minnesota. Blah.

PenforPrez
03-19-2010, 01:47 PM
So jealous. We got teased here yesterday with 65. But today it's only 40 and we're due for a cold front this weekend. I knew it was too good to be true in Minnesota. Blah.

It's going to be 67 here today and we're expecting a mix of rain and snow on Sunday. That's not pleasant. :(

Paul

Tayl405
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
It's unbelievably beautiful out here. My favorite weather! Sunny and 75... Going to meet a friend for dinner, hopefully somewhere open and airy!

pisces2473
03-19-2010, 02:16 PM

LOL sounds like a typical boy!!!

It's gorgeous here too--I went out for lunch with an author...I wish we'd gone somewhere with outside seating!

wordsmith
03-19-2010, 02:20 PM
It was cold and drizzly Saturday through Wednesday, here, but yesterday and today are 70 and sunny. Snow for this weekend, though. Sucks.

FishOutOfWater
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
packing for a spring break trip! I am so happy to have a break!

wordsmith
03-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Came home from working with my home-based services kiddo, and BF had a pesto pasta feast and fresh baked bread ready for me! Now we're chilling on the couch, me surfing the web, and him watching Inglourious Basterds (I hate Tarantino, but, hey, he made me dinner, so I can't squawk too hard).

winneythepooh7
03-20-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a gift card for Panera so I am going to go there this morning for breakfast, then I have to run into Old Navy to get someone a birthday gift. Then coming home, doing more laundry and at 3:00 I have my yoga class. After that I will probably meet my husband and son down at our local park.

I will probably make pasta or something simple for dinner tonight, and then just watch a movie.

winneythepooh7
03-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Back from my class (which kicked my ass btw) and we have decided we are going to break out the grill since it's such a nice day. I just have to go out now and wipe down our outdoor table and chairs.

wordsmith
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Probably snuggling in with fleece blankets, soup, grilled cheese, and a mug full of TheraFlu, since this whole "I walked the dog yesterday in shorts and a tank top and got pink shoulders, but this morning, I woke up to a half a foot of snow on the ground" thing has given me a hell of a sore throat and runny nose. :cry:

Minipan
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
BBQ in the backyard!! I think we're going to walk to bubble tea in the later evening. We discovered a place super close buy and I have a craving for lychee tea.

winneythepooh7
03-20-2010, 06:52 PM
BBQ in the backyard!! I think we're going to walk to bubble tea in the later evening. We discovered a place super close buy and I have a craving for lychee tea.

That sounds good. I haven't had bubble tea in forever. I need to find a place that sells it.

Minipan
03-21-2010, 07:05 PM
They are really good. This place uses real fruit, too, instead of just flavoring. It's super yummy.

Tonight is pizza/movie night. I also need to pick-up and do some laundry too...which I kinda put off doing all weekend :)

wordsmith
03-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Resume virus misery while SO plies me with hot soup, tea, and toast. Boo for sickness, yay for SO. Back to sleep, now.