PDA

View Full Version : Quitting

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Does anyone else ever have the day dream of quitting the job they are currently at for something more fun and less stressful? I would love to be able to get out of corporate America and just work at something I love (i.e. I loved working at a daycare center in college but it doesn't pay enough for me to do full-time). Granted the job I have now allows me to pay my bills and I am really not that stressed out...I just wish I could do something that I loved doing. Can anyone relate to me?

paperjam1015
03-25-2004, 01:08 PM
LOl...I want to quit my job and be a bike messenger everytime I see them riding around town. That just looks like so much fun.

pisces2473
03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I want to do something where I can do it on MY time (like at 3 am if I really wanted to) and do it in my house. Hmmm...phone sex operator? JUST KIDDING

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Other people do those jobs (i.e. daycares and bike messengers) and get by....I don't think I would be able to pay my school loans if I quit and worked at a daycare center :(

pisces2473
03-25-2004, 01:14 PM
That's because most of those people didn't go to college so they don't have loans. Horrible catch-22, isn't it?

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 01:16 PM
yes it really is horrible! And you would think that with daycare centers in such high demand they would pay more...hahaha. When I worked there you got $7.00/hr and then once you got your degree...you got a $0.25 raise...oooooooo!

I agree with you Jen about doing something on your own time. Even though my commute and just the job in general are better now....the workload isn't that big right now....so I still get bored during the day and they have tight rules about the internet....so what am I supposed to do all day until the work picks up? When I am busy....I don't mind being here...it's just during lulls that my mind wanders....

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 02:16 PM
It's the reason I'm considering heading to the career fair at Shea.

What's that?

I would love to do something just that makes me happy even if it is stressful at times.

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 02:25 PM
hahha....Shea Stadium. I get it now. I just read Shea and had no idea what it was :)

My ultimate dream would be to operate my own daycare center. Right now I can't afford to do that but it's in the distant future. However, knowing this is what I want to do...makes me anxious and then I get depresed that I can't do it now.....

Layback
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
I would love to just jump from retail job to retail job just like I used to in college, but still have the money to do all of the fun things I like. First I'd work at Starbucks, then EMS. It would be fun.

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 03:00 PM
oh good! I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. My BF's best friends wife works at Hallmark and loves it. She has her degree from a good school yet didn't want to put it to use. Her husband makes enough so she can do that. Ugh! How I envy that. I need to get over all this bitterness I have towards other people!

pisces2473
03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
My friends and I all worked in the dining room/kitchen at this upscale retirement community when we were in HS. It was a blast! We were talking about our old job the other day and we were saying how much we missed it and how we wish we could go back to work there (it was only 3 hrs a night--perfect for HS) but make as much $$ as we do now, lol.

I also worked at a small boutiquey paper store, the Gap and Barnes and Noble. Damn, how I miss those jobs when all you had to worry about was being on time, being friendly, and having your drawer cash out correctly.

kitalyn414
03-25-2004, 04:55 PM
i think we should all just sack up and do those jobs we say we would "love" to do. who cares if you were "supposed" to do one thing or another? if other people make it work, you can too! if you have student loans, maybe you could take a side job to help pay them off. at least then you would have that day care or retail job you love.

i've pretty much made up my mind that i want to be a teacher. the money is crap, but i know i would be great at it. at least i would feel like i helped others and accomplished something everyday.

maybe this is my idealist philosphy since i started reading "i could do anything, if i only knew what it was" by barbara sher. its really helping me clarify what i want to do & what is holding me back.

pisces2473
03-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Kita, so some of us would be working 2 or 3 jobs total to pay for everything? Hmmm, not much of a trade off. What about health benefits? Most of us work at crappy jobs, but we need out benefits to keep us well (yes, you too, sick girl).

Come to CT--they pay their teachers well :cool:

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 05:08 PM
I already have 3 jobs! I work full time 8:30-5pm M-F....saturday morning from 8am-12 I teach swim lessons...and Monday and Thursday I coach a pre-competitive swim clinic right after work.

And I need to healthcare benefits from the 8-5 job.....and if I quit that to work at the daycare...I would be really poor!

kitalyn414
03-25-2004, 05:09 PM
point taken.

i think most employers offer full time employees benefits. the big retail coporations like gap & the department stores do. you would just have to be content earning $7.00/hour. maybe it is more a question of the kind of lifestyle we deem acceptable.

also, i'm thinking that i would like to teach at the university level. now i just have to figure out what subject to get my masters in... from there, it's phd all the way baby! though, maybe i would be content teaching high school. guess i better figure that out.

Layback
03-25-2004, 05:18 PM
You can get health benefits at Starbucks as long as as you work 20 hrs/week. Not sure what the waiting period is, but I know it's less than 3 mos.

pisces2473
03-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but how good are the benefits? Do they get better the more hours/week you work?

Lynn0623
03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Exactly! A company says they offer full-time benefits but they are horrible ones and you have to pay for like 3/4 of it. I only pay $20/month right now and I have IBX....don't think I would get that at a daycare......

beachbum3000
03-26-2004, 10:54 AM
I just want to mention something to all of you who toy with the idea of leaving work to do something you really want to do. I am involved with an internet company that is leading the growth in its field right now. This business is so explosive that it is helping people replace their incomes in 2-5 years, freeing them up to live however they want. It's incredible and definitely worth looking into. I am in the Detroit area if anyone ever wants to talk sometime.

gracieTx
03-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Some one on here mentioned taking an extra job to pay off student loans. I want to do that! Even if I didn't have loans, I could use the extra cash.

I always wanted to be a bartender. I waited tables all through school and could easily do that (at a low key place, nothing in the professional relm). It would be fun to work a few nights a week, even weekends. Bartenders always seem to have the perfect job.: you have tons of people kissing up to you to get free stuff & better service.

Though I wouldn't expect a bar owner to ever consider me as an employee since the job would have to fit around my day job, I wonder about the stigma of it if it did work out. I wonder how collegues would see me if they walked into a bar at happy hour and I was serving them. Or worse yet, a client.