PDA

View Full Version : I'm back for more QLC!

LaFille
04-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone! I used to post on here a few years back, and I have found myself lurking around the site again.

My life in a nutshell: I am making a major life and career change which involves quitting my previous job (which ran my life), taking a new lower-paying job and going back to school. I'm 27, and sometimes I feel like I am too old to be making such drastic changes in my professional and financial status, but at the same time I know that I am actually young and that I have so much life ahead of me. In the meantime I have moved in with my boyfriend and I feel like we are starting a new life together, which is wonderful, but also just adds to the changes and stress I have been going through... particularly because I now feel somewhat (ok, a lot) financially dependent on our relationship.

Annnnywho... I guess these changes have led me back here where I know there are other people encountering some of the same challenges as I am. When I felt like my life was coming together (yeah right!!) I kind of forgot about this site, but I am glad to have rediscovered it. Yay :heehee: So hi, again!!

PenforPrez
04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Welcome back! :) Yay! All of our old friends are coming back! :D

I recently did the same thing you're doing. I'd decided I couldn't take anymore with my painful job, no dates, stagnation, etc., so last summer, at 30 years old, I left behind everything I knew in my home state of Missouri to move to Ohio to go to library school. I had the same line of thought--aren't I a little too old for this? The answer, of course, is no. I had no familial, moral, or legal obligation to stay where I was, and therefore I didn't have to.

I'm having a good time, for the most part. I'm (hopefully) finally finding some sort of career track, I've made a couple of new friends, I'm closer to other family members that I wanted to spend more time with, my dating life is improving a little bit.

It's not perfect. I'm in grad school, so I'm redefining poverty for the thirtysomethings. I'm away from my father, who turned 84 this year, and I miss him a lot. I'm in a buttload of debt, with a new-to-me car on top of that. But most of that isn't so bad. This was possibly the best thing I ever did, and I think eventually you'll feel the same way with what you're doing. :)

Paul

LaFille
04-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks!

I do feel like this is the best thing I ever did 80% of the time, but sometimes it's still tough to stay focused on the present and future rather than wishing I had done this sooner. :)

breezin
04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Hello. I'm glad for you guys! I'm a newcomer to this board and have one main thread, but basically I'm 28, have a bachelor's, and have only ever worked odd jobs and teach English abroad jobs. I think what you guys are doing is great! Going back to school and making something happen. LaFille I would love to be living w/ a significant other and getting some more education. Sounds like you guys are getting out of your QLC. Great! :)