View Full Version : Changing Careers

04-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Does anyone else have this problem or might be able to help me?

After studying Psychology for 4 years in college, I decided after working in the field, it's just not for me. As weird as it sounds, I am a way to kind and caring person to help people, that it truly affects me outside of work. So after realizing this, I started pursuing my Associates in Business Management and since then have been trying to find a job in the business world. However though, I am finding it very difficult to break into anything involving, Sales, Marketing, Advertising and or Management. I have been on several itnerviews and the last one I went on, the guy told me I am to much of a risk because I am switching careers from working with children to sales and he claims that I will probably switch careers again, which I know I will not.

I was wondering if anyone on the message board who works in these fields or knows people in these fields have any advice on trying to find a job in these fields? I know with journalism they have special websites devoted to jobs but I am tired of looking on careerbuilder.com and other websites, it's always the same job postings.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Or feel the way I do, which is very frustrated and discouraging, I feel like no one will ever give me the chance to prove my skills. :confused:

04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
lol... I'm doing the same thing...same degree, same problems

04-05-2004, 01:07 PM
lol..makes me feel a little better knowing I am not alone in the world...:)

04-05-2004, 01:40 PM
my job sucks...

I get physically ill just thinking about it. I have to sit on the pareking lot and talk myself into going into the office. Very toxic environment.

04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Ouch. I'm so sorry Paperjam. I've been in your situation. Hang in there. :)

04-05-2004, 02:46 PM
I think I'm gonna get a job at the bookstore and be a bartender...

drinking and reading are fun hobbies, just not at the same time.

04-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me paperjam, you have to do what is going to make you happy in the long run.

04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
I was a psych major (read: Human Development since I didnt get it exactly in psych) and had a business background.....

Anyway.....best way to start is to look for admin jobs that will get you in the door teach you about the company and move up from there.

04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks Tankgirly, I have tried doing that entry level positions like Adminstrative Asst and such, but not much I can do when I hear no reply back :( I have had everyone review my cover letter and resume and they all say it is just fine. But then why don't they call back? It sucks having a background in Psych, either you get praised for it or you get scolded for it.