PDA

View Full Version : Changing Careers

pittgirl
04-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Does anyone else have this problem or might be able to help me?

After studying Psychology for 4 years in college, I decided after working in the field, it's just not for me. As weird as it sounds, I am a way to kind and caring person to help people, that it truly affects me outside of work. So after realizing this, I started pursuing my Associates in Business Management and since then have been trying to find a job in the business world. However though, I am finding it very difficult to break into anything involving, Sales, Marketing, Advertising and or Management. I have been on several itnerviews and the last one I went on, the guy told me I am to much of a risk because I am switching careers from working with children to sales and he claims that I will probably switch careers again, which I know I will not.

I was wondering if anyone on the message board who works in these fields or knows people in these fields have any advice on trying to find a job in these fields? I know with journalism they have special websites devoted to jobs but I am tired of looking on careerbuilder.com and other websites, it's always the same job postings.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Or feel the way I do, which is very frustrated and discouraging, I feel like no one will ever give me the chance to prove my skills. :confused:

paperjam1015
04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
lol... I'm doing the same thing...same degree, same problems

pittgirl
04-05-2004, 01:07 PM
lol..makes me feel a little better knowing I am not alone in the world...:)

paperjam1015
04-05-2004, 01:40 PM
my job sucks...

I get physically ill just thinking about it. I have to sit on the pareking lot and talk myself into going into the office. Very toxic environment.

pisces2473
04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Ouch. I'm so sorry Paperjam. I've been in your situation. Hang in there. :)

paperjam1015
04-05-2004, 02:46 PM
I think I'm gonna get a job at the bookstore and be a bartender...

drinking and reading are fun hobbies, just not at the same time.

pittgirl
04-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me paperjam, you have to do what is going to make you happy in the long run.

TankgirlyC
04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
I was a psych major (read: Human Development since I didnt get it exactly in psych) and had a business background.....

Anyway.....best way to start is to look for admin jobs that will get you in the door teach you about the company and move up from there.

pittgirl
04-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks Tankgirly, I have tried doing that entry level positions like Adminstrative Asst and such, but not much I can do when I hear no reply back :( I have had everyone review my cover letter and resume and they all say it is just fine. But then why don't they call back? It sucks having a background in Psych, either you get praised for it or you get scolded for it.