PDA

View Full Version : high school reunions

kitalyn414
04-20-2004, 02:12 PM
will you go to yours? have you been to one already?

i can't decide on this issue. i guess it will depend on where i am in my life. the truth is that anyone i am interested in seeing, i already run into every now and then. it is also weird for me because i transferred right before my junior year whereas most of the people at my high school had been going to school together forever. maybe i will go just to see what losers the "popular" people became, who got married and who got fat. lol! of course, if i am one of the people who became a loser or got fat, then i may sit that one out.

girlinterrupted
04-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Hmmm, I know what you mean, kita. I transferred in my junior year too, but I think I would still like to go to laugh at everyone I disliked & see what happened to the people I cared about. I mean it seems like some of my friends from high school fell off the face of the earth.

diesel
04-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Mine is May 1st and I'm going. It should be interesting. I'll let you all know if it's worth the bother :)

kitalyn414
04-20-2004, 02:37 PM
yes, do tell diesel! where are they having it?

pluie76
04-20-2004, 02:37 PM
I went to my 5 year reunion. I'd say overall I had a good time. I wasn't part of the popular "in" crowd in high school, and although a lot of them showed up, there were a lot of other people I had been friends with that I had completely lost touch with. There were the shocks (one person I had been friends with showed me a pic of her 5 year old son.. I didn't even know she had been pregnant!) and one girl who was about 1/2 her previous size and I didn't even recognize her. Kind of disappointing that so many people who were really smart in high school and I thought could go far had done nothing but work fast food for the last 5 years. Overall though, I thought it was fun. But make sure you know atleast one person who's going before you go!

kitalyn414
04-20-2004, 02:41 PM
i guess my school doesn't have a 5 year. oh well!

Layback
04-20-2004, 02:43 PM
I am on the reunion commitee and I may not go. There's a laugh for you. Not sure I can justify sepnding $100 for my fiancee and I to attend, only to see 10-15 people from my class. It sounds like it will be pretty boring and a waste of money.

I went to my 5-year and liked it alot. But there were more people attending and I hadn't seen people in a while. Now I don't genuinely care for too many people I went to high school with.

diesel
04-20-2004, 02:48 PM
We didn't have a five year either. I hear a lot about some of my classmates, but others seem to have disappeared. It will be interesting no matter what.

Kita - we're having it at a Marriott near Ann Arbor. It's in a ballroom there I guess. It's $100 for my fiance and I to go. It's ridiculous when you realize that's just for one drink and appetizers. Oh well. I will make sure to give you a full report :)

pisces2473
04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
We're having one this summer--but I graduated in 1998--so it's a 6 year reunion? How messed up is that? I'm not going--it's going to be a cookout at the Elks Club's outdoor pavillion at the end of July and it's BYOB. It's probably going to be ridiculously priced too. I'll wait til 10--IF I even go to that one!

pisces2473
04-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Maybe because the HS people you knew longer (like from elementary school all the way up to senior year) and the college people you only knew for four years and they don't annoy you as much? Or is it because college was more recent and you feel as if you have more in common with those people?

TankgirlyC
04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
My 5 year HS reunion was De 2003.

I had no friends in high school so I really had no one I wanted to see. The reason I did go was to show all those assholes that they didnt beat me down (not that they would have noticed if I hadnt been there anyway).

I asked my BF to go MONTHS ahead of time because I knew I couldnt walk into that room alone.
When we arrived it was like something from a bad teen movie....one person caught sight of me and would turn to the person next to them....the whole room actually stopped talking and turned in my direction as if to say "what the F is she doing here?"

What was justifying about the entire thing was going to see that most of the people were still in school, had dropped out, or graduated to then work in a job they HATE.
I would go up to people ask them what they were up to, let them blab....usually they wouldnt ask me back so when they were done I would just tell them about my apartment and job. Word spread like wildfire and people were asking me with help on finding places to live, and also with finding a job since I had connections in recruiting.

So it was an in your face night. Thats my story.

Jennalyn
04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
My reunion is in August and I'm definitely going. I tend to be curious about people anyway, but I'm sort of a small fish in a big pond here in the big big city and I'm hoping to have a night where I'm a big fish in a small pond. Probably I'll go in there with a chip on my shoulder, ready to defend myself and show everyone that I am awesome just like I always knew I was, and I won't have to because everyone will be really nice.
Also, my boyfriend is definitely much more attractive than anyone I dated in high school. So that will be cool.

paperjam1015
04-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Wow... my ten year reunion should be this year...:cry:

We didn't have a 5 yr. and I haven't heard anything about this one...Or maybe I just wasn't invited... Like I'd go anyway...
I hated HS... College was a blast!!!

shimmer728
04-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by kitalyn414
i guess my school doesn't have a 5 year. oh well!

Mine either. We must have been a bunch of losers.

maxwell78
04-27-2004, 07:57 PM
We didn't have a five-year reunion either. I'm not sure I would have gone anyway. I wouldn't mind if a newsletter with pictures and infomation on what everyone is doing showed up in my mailbox, but beyond that, I'm not sure it's worth much more effort than that. ;)

By the way, has anyone ever used classmates.com to contact someone? Just curious on how it went.

heatherf
04-27-2004, 08:15 PM
No 5 year reunion here either!

My 10-year is next year, class of 1995!

I will totally go. Ok- I was pretty popular...had lots of friends etc. But mainly I want to see if my high school sweetheart shows up...he moved away the summer after we graduated to go to college in Ohio and I haven't seen him since!

For me it's gonna be like- those people that made it out of town and saw a little bit of the world, and those that stayed home and got knocked up.

coll214
04-28-2004, 12:12 AM
My class was supposed to have a 5yr, but they booked a place that was too big and the 200 ppl that replied wasn't enough!! I def. would have gone if only to catch up w/ old friends i haven't seen since graduation; and of course to see whose gotten knocked up, who lives where... who recognizes me ;)

The 10 yr i will go to for same reasons as above...

libscigrl
04-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Huh. I didn't realize high schools HAD 5 yr reunions--I'm not sure if mine had one or not.

Whether I go to my 10 yr (next year) depends on how I'm doing at that point. I absolutely hated HS, don't think many ppl will remember me, and I also started there late--sophmore yr. The whole growing up w/ ppl through the school yrs is so foreign to me though b/c I moved so much. Thinking about it now, I might like to go to the 10 yr reunion for the high school I went to in 9th grade--I had more friends there than any other place. It'd mean flying across the country but that could be fun.

I might be interested to hear about other people's experiences at their 10 yr, esp. those who weren't in the stupid in-crowd.

Gregarious
05-04-2004, 10:26 PM
I too am one of those bitter smart people that hasn't gotten my shit together yet.

Didn't go to my 5 year, but my 10 year is coming up this summer. Guess what? I'm not going.

Like the rest of you, I didn't really have any friends in HS, so going would be a waste of time. It would be interesting to see what happened to some of the girls I had crushes on though (never dated in HS either) - too shy. :(

Besides, HS reunions are just dick-measuring contests until you're about 50 years old anyway. I'll go then. :)

sunshinecat
05-05-2004, 02:25 PM
I went to my 10 year reunion, but it was really boring. I left after an hour. It cost about $100 for my husband and myself to attend and the food was horrible - just some stale appetizers.

Most of the people I wanted to see did not attend. My senior class had about 300 people and maybe 100 attended the 10-year. I really doubt that I'll go to my 20 year reunion, but who knows?

~ sunshinecat ~

midtwenty
05-13-2004, 07:08 PM
I went to one of those small-town schools where everyone knew everyone from the time they were born. Most of the people I graduated with I had known since diapers. You might find this surprising, but I have absolutely NO intention of going to my 10 year class reunion next year. Zip, Zero, None.

Why, you may ask??
Well, after living in the same town with the same people for 20 years, frankly, I don't care to see any of them ever again. The ones that matter to me I've kept in touch with anyway, so what's the point in going to a reunion to see people I don't really care about anyway?

I hope that doesn't make me a terrible person, but I just can't make myself give a rat's ass. So, I won't go.

ValentineGirl
05-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I hear they are planning a 5 year reunion for my class. I'm not sure if I'm going. Depends on if I have a job and am somewhat together by then. Like it matters anyway, because I've ran into a few people and found out what some of the so called popular and most likely to succeeds are doing and none of them are doing well. So I'm already a success anyway because I went to college and actually graduated.