PDA

View Full Version : What were you good at as a kid?

and1grad
06-03-2004, 03:45 PM
I just read a little bit about that new movie "Dodgeball" that is coming out starring Ben Stiller. It looks hilarious, and it got me thinking of when I used to play those types of games, in P.E. or whatever. I was always pretty good at dodgeball but I OWNED the tetherball court. As soon as it was my turn there, it was a WRAP for everyone else. On the other side...I stunk at kickball. I couldnt kick to save my life. Baby bouncies, fast rollies, same result. I still remember my only home run. IT WAS GLORIOUS!!! Anyway, does anybody else have any memories of being good, or bad, at any of those kid games?

LakeJay
06-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah I kind of stunk in kickball. Never could quite get the ball in the air. And we used play on the concrete and we could peg someone out so we used to aim for legs...needless to say my knees were the pretty much non-existent this one summer.

Dodgeball was another thing. The boys in my class used to have a tournament that we had during lunch and it was awesome. First off we used the red rubber ball and it was a little deflated so you could get a nice grip on the ball. Plus you couldn't dodge the ball if it went right at you, you couldn't move you had to catch the ball. Needless to say, the pre-pubescent testosterone was really flowing then. We also had dodgeball during gym but we used smaller yellow spongeballs and the girls played with us. That was a more of relaxing dodgeball but fun nonetheless. Thanks for bringing this...It's nice to take a break from work and relive the carefree days.

kitalyn414
06-03-2004, 04:04 PM
UGH i was TERRIBLE at dodgeball. it always made me so nervous because i hated getting hit. (i was pretty girly back then)

i remember being able to DOMINATE tetherball too and1... i had the advantage because i was always taller than the other girls i played with. i used to wind up and swing that ball around like it was nobody's business!!! i was pretty great at 4-sqare and remember that i could kick pretty far in kickball, but was a slow runner.

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Nothing beats dodgeball....there's nothing like gripping the red, mini four-square ball, and wrapping it into your elbow, so as to create a jai-alai, sling effect for more velocity, and then glancing at the field of battle, realizing just where the "fat kid" was, cowering in the center, since he was too slow to get to the middle and get one of the limited number of balls. As he cowered below, you took sight and aim at one of the other kids, the whiny girl or the tomboy who thought she had game, then just before rifling the shot from the elbow, you changed direction, and plunked "fat kid" on the noggin just as you'd successfully gotten him to buy into your look-off tactic and no look shot. The only thing topping the sound of the hollow rubber "thunk" on "fat kid's" noggin was getting the rebound off "fat kid's" noggin, reloading, and tagging skinny-kid-hiding-behind-fat-kid, and knocking him down as he ran for cover when he realized "fat kid" no longer provided shelter.

Ah, yes.....dodgeball ruled.

bigboom
06-03-2004, 04:07 PM
anyone ever play belly ball?? that ruled...but as a kid i think i was good at video games :)

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Hated four square. Never became interesting to me. Not as much potential for damaging "fat kid's" esteem for life.

pittgirl
06-03-2004, 04:11 PM
I used to love dodgeball as a kid, we always played it every Friday in gym, it was the greatest. We never played four aquare, I actually never heard of it till 2 years ago when I was working at an after school program and I learned how to play.
SPUD used to be my game as well!

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I heard this kid the other day say they played "Smear the Queer" at recess. WTF? They still play that? And why not call it what it is?

Billy: Hey Tommy...we're playing four-square today.
Tommy: No thanks. I'm good. But if anyone wants in for some "gay bashing," then I'm in.

Billy: Hey Tommy....hoops after lunch?
Tommy: Nah...I'm up for some "gay bashing," though.

Billy: Tommy...how bout some tetherball?
Tommy: Screw you guys...I'm playing "gay bashing" with the 8th graders today.

I mean really.....that game's still around? Come on, parents.

pisces2473
06-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Met, I was going to say Four Square! LOVED that game--every day in 5th grade we played it. Did you guys "shout out" stuff? We'd pick categories such as movies and then have to yell out names as you hit the ball. SUCH FUN.

pisces2473
06-03-2004, 04:13 PM
What is smear the queer? :confused:

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:14 PM
As I recall the guy with the football was "the queer," and everyone else tried to tackle him as hard as they could. And he would try to avoid getting "smeared" by pitching the football. Essentially, it was just a bunch of running violence.

LakeJay
06-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Never played 4-square as a kid but the one summer during college when I worked as a summer camp counselor at the Y, I discovered the game. Excellent game. There was some kids who just really good. Unfortunately I didn't really like the game because there were some cheap ways of playing and oh yeah...I was in college.

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:17 PM
We did play "shout out" in four square. But inevitably, someone would call out "things that rhyme with orange," and it was no longer fun.

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:21 PM
And tetherball sucked, because there was this guy named Paul who, I swear to God, was the inspiration for Shrek. He was about 14 feet tall and proceeded to beat every one of us in about 10 seconds. Whenever anyone beat Paul it had to be similar to the David and Goliath scene in the Bible.

pisces2473
06-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Crimson King II
We did play "shout out" in four square. But inevitably, someone would call out "things that rhyme with orange," and it was no longer fun.
We would pummel THAT kid in dodge ball, juts for picking that category.

Anyone play German dodge ball?

coll214
06-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Definitely played Four Square as a kid... but HATED dodgeball. We were partial to wiffle ball too... but badminton was my game! :p And elementary school my charming male cousins the same age as me used to love egging me on w/ comments dad had made (i.e. you run like a girl) to piss me off in any sport we played, and it usually worked. So on principle I had to try and beat them!

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah...that kid usually got the football first in the other game.

kitalyn414
06-03-2004, 04:40 PM
CK ---- you sound like you were a really mean little kid. :(

bigboom
06-03-2004, 04:54 PM
red rover red rover we call (insert name here) over

paperjam1015
06-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Red Rover is EVIL! Who though up this stuff? Hey...let's invent a game where kids choke the hell out of each other!!

I was really good at the spelling bee and the end of grades testing...though my grades never reflected it.

The game I remember, was not really a game. We'd spin people holding on to the merry-go-round and see who fell off last.

And we played a modified version of capture the flag with acorns. Ohh what fun we had.....

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah kit...we were hella-cruel.

But I DID grow out of it!

paperjam1015
06-03-2004, 05:07 PM
you mean, unless they are psycho stalkers right? ;)

Crimson King II
06-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Yeah....psycho stalkers still get the bad treatment.

heatherf
06-03-2004, 05:32 PM
KICKBALL! Man- I was only one of two girls who ever played with all the boys during lunch and recess.

My favorite pitch was "baby bouncies".....I would always get a home run- I kicked ass at kickball.

In fact- I've been thinking of joining an adult kickball league. I wish all of us lived near eachother so we could have a kickball league- we'd slaughter everyone!

Also played "steal the bacon"- or foursquare or dodgeball. But kickball was definitely my favorite!

bumblegirl
06-03-2004, 05:41 PM
I remember I really like playing smear the queer, but my parents got so mad that I called it that that I wasn't allowed to play anymore. But I remember kicking *ss at 4-square and also at thetherball. I wasn't much for kickball and i HATED dodgeball. I was such a tomboy though, that I had to pretend that I could be better than the boys and not cry if I got hurt. sigh... those were the days!

bumblegirl
06-03-2004, 05:42 PM
OH! And kick the can!!! Did anyone play that?

LakeJay
06-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Did anyone play "Asses up" or "Butts Up"? It's where you threw the tennis ball against the wall and you fielded the ball and threw it back at the wall. If you fumbled the ball then dropped it you had to run and touch the wall before someone else got the ball and threw the ball to the wall. If you didn't reach the wall in time you got a letter. Depending on the game, if you spelled out Butt or Ass then you had to stand facing the wall and each person had chance to peg you with the tennis ball. Did that explanation make sense? That was a great and intense game. I got stitches on my head playing that game...Go figure.

bumblegirl
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
That can't possibly be a real game.... but kids are insane. so who knows.

kimmer23
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
yeah we played 4 square some...

did anyone ever play red light green light? or clean up your backyard? i used to like monkey in the middle too!

kimmer23
06-03-2004, 06:02 PM
we used to play another game called army dodge ball.

and1grad
06-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I remember butts up and smear the queer. I think my aim is good b/c of butts up.

What are the different kinds of dodgeball? We played the o.g. version with the two sides, but we also played with people against a wall, like a police lineup, and we also played in a circle with all the throwers outside the circle, with 1 or 2 balls, and everytime someone got tagged, they had to become a thrower. --CK...your description brought back a ton of memories. God bless those fat kids.

Never liked four square but I played a bunch of handball.

If you want cruel...we used to play "Chicken" on the monkey bars. Two kids would meet at the center of the monkey bars and would use their legs to try to rip each other off the bars.

kimmer23
06-03-2004, 06:24 PM
the dodgeball with the police line up is the army dodgeball. we used to play that all the time against the wall of my parents driveway.

heatherf
06-03-2004, 07:22 PM
No butts up here- but it sounds funny.

I remember when it would rain, and we'd be on "rainy day schedule" and play Heads Up 7-Up!

ce607
06-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Dude, I remember looking forward to 7-Up on rainy days or with subs! Two things:

1. The worst time-killer I can ever remember is when our gym teacher for some reason had to cover for our regular teacher in 2nd grade. To keep us quiet and occupied, he made us put our heads down and guess when we thought 30 seconds had gone by, then raise our hands and see who was closest. We did that over and over again. Picture this. It's terrible.

2. As a beat-upon little sister, my brother and I would play a game called "Hit ce607*." Why I agreed to this, I have no idea. But it involved my brother circling around the street on his bike, and coming into our driveway at top speed. I would stand near the end of the driveway and was allowed to start running when he hit a certain point. The goal for me was to make it to the garage without getting hit. His goal was to ride his bike into me, and I always ended up with bike-tire marks all over the backs of my legs. And yet I played this all the time. WTF?

*this is not actually my name :cool:

kimmer23
06-03-2004, 10:56 PM
your name really ISNT ce607? wow, i grew up knowing A LOT of people with that name! hehe!

pluie76
06-04-2004, 12:16 AM
I was all about Heads Up 7 Up. I was pretty good at it because the boys would always tap the girls thumbs, but the girls would never guess the boys. Except me :) And then I'd get up there, tap all boys thumbs (from behind of course, in case they were peeking) and nobody would ever guess that quiet, shy pluie76* would be picking them!

*also not my real name :)

and1grad
06-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Ok I got something of a weird twist for ya. I was also good at some of the "girly" games. Let me tell you...I was the MAN when it came to double dutch. Literally. I could also Hopscotch, patty-cake, and hula hoop like nobody's business. A regular JACK OF ALL TRADES!!