PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Law School...Again...

Lynzi
06-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm currenlty a paralegal, aka glorafied file clerk in a med. sized civil lit. firm. And, frankly, I really hate my job. But, it's not the firm, or the people or the atmosphere as much as what I actually do, which is all grunt work - filing, copying, QCing, bates labeling, off-siting and if I'm really lucky, I'll get to make deposition or witness notebooks. I thought about law school before I started the paralegal program and thought about it all through the program and even scheduled to take the LSAT and thought about quitting paralegal school b/c I just felt in my heart that I was just "settling" for being a paralegal.

That said, I'm just not sure I'm cut out to work in civil litigation. I've thought long and hard about other careers, I just keep coming back to law school...why? I'm not really sure, especially since I KNOW I really don't want to work in civil litigation - actually, I should clarify more - product liability (which is where my paralegal experience has been - HATE IT) My biggest concern is that I'm not sure I would have enough opportunities, outisde of the areas I detest, to make it worth my time.

Right now, I just feel like I need someone elses perspective - I've talked to attys in the firm I work for, most say to go for it. My husband just wants me to make a decision and stick to it. My family is very unsupportive of any further education, no matter what it may be. My firends who have went to law school are those who regret their decisions and shudder at the thoughts of anyone else going. My friends who haven't went are all for the idea. I've been doing as much research on schools and job opportunities as possible, but I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere and wanted a fresh perspective. I just know SO MANY students and attorneys do regret their decisions. I don't want to regret my decision, which ever decision I may make.

Phoenix
06-27-2004, 10:29 PM
I have also considered law school. I even took the LSAT 3 years ago. I toured 3 schools and filled out applications for 4. Did I send them? No. Why? I'm not sure if a career in law is really what I want.

I would try to figure out your passion. Maybe what area of law you ARE interested in. If you don't feel strongly about practicing law or being a lawyer, I would consider thinking some more about it. That's what has held me back from jumping in and going. I was close to taking the plunge and then questioned whether I had a true passion for law. Whether I wanted to work more than 40 hours a week if I ever wanted a family in the future.

When you go to law school, you're entering into a program for 3 years. For that reason, I don't consider it a decision to take lightly. Most law schools don't want you to work while you attend because of the workload. Your friends that went to law school should be able to tell you what their daily schedule was like. What their classes and professors were like. How much homework and reading they had to do. What the exams were like.

Touring some law schools may give you a taste of how law school functions. Talking with current students while on those tours will also give you a feel for what their days and weeks are like. You'll find that most professors have a seating chart, will call on you in class, and expect you to answer. There's no hiding in the back row.

That said, law school itself is different from actually practicing law. So I think that speaking with attorneys has been a good idea, to get both perspectives (of law students and lawyers).

Don't let your husband's comment of 'making a decision and sticking to it' deter you from changing your mind, however. If you decide you don't want to go at this time, it doesn't mean that you can't EVER go back to school and pursue a career in law. Or anything else, for that matter.

Ambrose
07-11-2004, 12:15 AM
I agree with Weirdbrake.

Law school is a big investment in money, time and energy and you should have more than a 50% desire in wanting to complete it because it is an extremely stressful experience.

My only other advice would be to go to a law school near you and sit in on a required class, such as Contracts, Torts, Civil Procedure, Criminal Law, etc. and see if you like the environment. Multiply that experience by 3 years and you'll know if it's right for you. Many law schools will let you do this, so I'd do that before making a decision.