PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice about job prospect

Ambrose
06-28-2004, 02:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry...just realized I should have posted this here instead of the crisis forum....although I suppose it is a troubling one...

I could really use some honest advice about the following situation.

I'm finishing up law school next year and before worked in politics. With the election coming up, a friend is running for a local seat and the polls show he'll win it. I've been helping him organize his campaign because this is the first time he's ever run, although he comes from a political family that is well respected in our area.

Since I've been helping, some people have come to me and suggested that I work as his chief of staff next year since law school will be over. Here's the thing--the reviews have been mixed.

First, some people say take it since I'd be the boss, earn $65,000 a year and be able to run for office myself if I wanted to do so. They say he needs me because I'm very experienced and he's not. They say he's too naive about some things and really needs someone like me to take charge of the operation and run it.

Second, the other side is this. They say that I'm too smart and qualified to consider the job. They say it's a local seat (but powerful one), they say the pay is too low for me and the biggest thing they say is that I'm selling myself short.

So, I sat back this weekend and thought about it. He's briefly mentioned the idea to me, but obviously can't offer it until he wins the election. I'd be finished with law school soon anyway, but I can see the points on both sides and I feel like, in a way, I am selling myself short. But I see that I could also make it into something great for me.

I'm so confused because I've worked hard, have developed a lot of qualifications and am qualified to work at the White House, not local politics. But then again, I'm young and the job prospects for lawyers aren't great. Lawyers I know now complain about the work and I know a guy that just graduated a year ahead of me, graduated in the top 5%, was a faculty assistant and interned for the USDOJ and he can't find a job he wants.

So, I would appreciate brutally honest feedback here because it's a choice that will affect my life a great deal. Thank you!

jstall
06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
This would be a way to get some more professional experience, right? Do you have any other job prospects to consider after you graduate? I guess you just have to determine whether or not this job will help get you to where you want to be.

midtwenty
06-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Check your other post...I responded there. :)