PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know Any REALLY Special People?

Crimson King II
07-15-2004, 12:14 PM
I've started reading William F. Buckley, Jr.'s Literary Biography "Miles Gone By," and it strikes me that the guy is absolutely the purest kind of genius. I'm not saying that because he's a renowned conservative, but rather because he's apparently read everything ever written, done everything there is to do, and counseled everyone in the world in some capacity, and through it all, his attitude and astute observation is amazing.

I would REALLY like to know someone who is truly an amazing mind like that. About as close as I've come is my High School Physics teacher, who I think was so smart he was insane, but back then he never really struck me as unique. I was just wondering if anyone of you know anyone like this...this type of person who is simply a monolith of humanity by force of mind, heart, and will? It's fascinating to me.

fulvsmiles
07-15-2004, 12:22 PM
I agree it is interesting to see someone who has a humanitarian spirit. I haven't known anyone directly. I was just watching the story of John F. Kennedy Jr...its an intrigueing story to say the least. I never knew anything about him until last night when I was watching the biography on him.
The little boy who passed away who had MS, I think he was a profoundly gifted child, I can't remember his name now.

I sometimes wonder though what are people's real intentions, I'm not talking about the two people I just mentioned but people in our daily lives, do they do "good" because they really want to do it, or is it they do it to reach that higher destination/ God. I wonder because although a person may do good things and vollunteer and do charities and such, I wonder what their real motivations are. I know thats a really negative way of thinking at things, believe me I try to see the good in people, but I also see the reality of life.

I was watching this show I think on A&E or something about crimes, the show was called, The girl in a box., it was really cruel, this quiet guy and his wife kidnapped this 21 yr old girl and kept her in his home for 7 years, pretty much brainwashed her and did really cruel things. No one outside of their home would have guessed this guy would do this but it did. Its just really absurd and sad.

Anyways on a much lighter note, I think there are people out there who do such good deeds and don't get the acknowledgement they so deserve, but I think thats how they want it, if they were to profess to their world and boast about their good deeds, they aren't in it for the good, but rather to have a bit of fame and glory.

Crimson King II
07-15-2004, 12:27 PM
That's a GREAT point fulv. I think when you are free to do the things you enjoy and do good simply for the experience and the journey to a higher calling, then you are really special. I get that impression from Buckley. I think he's not so into pushing an agenda as he is in learning more and more for himself. His is an impressive mind....total commitment, and total recall. I don't think he ever sought glory and fame, though his became a very blessed life by fully pursuing simply his interests.

pisces2473
07-15-2004, 01:43 PM
We're currently archiving ALL of Buckley's writings here in the library!! HAHA

midtwenty
07-15-2004, 02:44 PM
The little boy who passed away who had MS, I think he was a profoundly gifted child, I can't remember his name now.

Mattie Stepanek. What a great little guy he was.

Crimson King II
07-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Wow!!! That's right pisces...he went to Yale, didn't he??? Is there anything really cool and unique of his that you could get me a copy of???

And yeah...Mattie Stepanek...inspirational kid. A little too "heal the world" for me...but a kid to do so much, with so little fortune and so little time...we should all be as exceptional!

pisces2473
07-15-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't have access to it, CK...but I did see some of the boxes come in one day :)

Mattie had muscular dystrophy, as a point of clarification...

Crimson King II
07-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Gasp! No access....FIND A WAY!!!!

pisces2473
07-15-2004, 03:01 PM
And when I get in trouble, YOU can be my lawyer...because that'll all work out SOOO well.

Crimson King II
07-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Buckley won't mind...tell him I'm a conservative. Then you'll get a pass...