PDA

View Full Version : social smoking

TranquilSkye
08-02-2004, 07:02 PM
anybody else irritated by this popular trend? to me it sounds like a cop out. so what if you don't smoke every day or purchase the cigarettes/cigars yourself. if you willingly put one to your lips and inhale it all the time, some of the time, once in a blue moon, whatever you're a smoker. i'm so sick of hearing people claim that they aren't really smokers because they only smoke when they go to clubs or bars on the weekend. so what! you're still smoking which still makes you a smoker! with all the information about the dangers of smoking, even just a little bit, everyone should know better. i must say i'm really disappointed in our age group. smoking occasionally now is very likely to lead to smoking daily and we all know what that leads to. and i'm sick of the "well everyone else does it" crap too. no everyone else does not smoke and one should be able to make ones own decisions. grrrrrr!

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Well, thanks for the butt-chewing, Skye!

Couldn't disagree more, though. I smoke the good cigar once every month or so, but inevitably everyone I know is surprised when they find out. I don't consider myself a smoker, but I do enjoy my Cohibas. But the difference is this...I don't make a production out of it, I don't do it just to do it when I'm out, and I don't need to do it all the time, and I make sure my house and car and clothes don't smell like smoke. And I sit in non-smoking areas at restaurants. Am I a "smoker?" Nah.

and1grad
08-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Crimson King II
Well, thanks for the butt-chewing

Well crafted.

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Wasn't it? I was quite proud.

WeirdBrake
08-02-2004, 07:17 PM
I smoke the good cigar once every month or so

Am I a "smoker?" Nah.

I love the rigorous logical consistency of plain-language Scalian conservative legal minds.

Sorry, CK. I'll get help.

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Do it NOW, man. I'm really worried. I'm sending Shimmer a PM right away.

and1grad
08-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Uh oh WB, you know u better quit now. Shimmer's bitch-slapping ability is becoming common knowledge among the QLC community.

p.s. I do not have first-hand knowledge of these events.

kimmer23
08-02-2004, 07:29 PM
i smoke usually 1 or 2 cigars every tuesday at my beer club.

i dont consider myself a smoker either.

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:30 PM
It's not his smoking. It's his incessant lawyering.

"Two please."

"Lawyering, or Non?"

Crimson King II
Ha! Kimmer and her Beer Club!

I love her!

WeirdBrake
I only eat one of my neighbors once a year. So I don't consider myself a cannibal.

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I only suck at Football every day, but I don't consider myself a Longhorn.

WeirdBrake
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
That's right... you consider yourself a SOONER!!!

heatherf
08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
You guys are making my day!!!

Kimmer- wasn't there some sort of joke from "Airplane" about smoking???

kimmer23
08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
and casey our bartender should have sent me the email by now about which beer is being featured tomorrow night!!

i bought a mini tote bag from old navy to carry the cigars to the club every week! haha! we call it "the cigar purse!"

kimmer23
08-02-2004, 07:34 PM
heather,

lloyd bridges picked the wrong week to quit smoking...he also picked the wrong week to quit sniffing airplane glue....he quit some other things that week as well.

i am your expert on the movie AIRPLANE!

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:34 PM
That's right, Kimmer. Just like God.

kimmer23
08-02-2004, 07:36 PM
just like god?? i didnt get that one...damn tabacco got to my brain!

heatherf
08-02-2004, 07:36 PM
K, cause I don't know HOW we would survive without Airplane quotes!!!!???

What are the lines about Jive that Mrs. Cleaver says???

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:37 PM
God is a Sooner, too. He loves me.

WeirdBrake
08-02-2004, 07:42 PM
God is a Sooner, too. He loves me.

Of COURSE, he does, CK! Of course, he does! And the Sooners are the best team in the whole wide world! Now what I want you to do is go right over there... toward those nice men in the white coats... just go with them into that nice shiny van, and they're going to take you to a happy place! They're going to take you to SoonerLand! Where everything will be ok....

Crimson King II
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Soonerland? Is that like the Cotton Bowl in October?

kimmer23
08-02-2004, 07:45 PM
yeah i love how mrs cleaver is the only one on the plane that knows jive! haha!

Rainster
08-02-2004, 08:19 PM
This thread is too hilarious! You guys have no idea! :p

shimmer728
08-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by and1grad
Uh oh WB, you know u better quit now. Shimmer's bitch-slapping ability is becoming common knowledge among the QLC community.

Damn right.

WeirdBrake
08-02-2004, 09:38 PM
As well as her remarkable driving. "Remarkable" as in the prefix "re-" meaning "again," the suffix "able" meaning "with the capacity to produce," and the root word "mark" meaning "a noticeable injury on the body."

shimmer728
08-03-2004, 09:44 AM
You've never once sustained bodily injuries as a result of my driving. :twisted:

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 09:50 AM
YET.

shimmer728
08-03-2004, 09:57 AM
He takes enough abuse from my bitch-slapping. :p

shimmer728
08-03-2004, 09:59 AM
He gets his revenge, though. Like when he gets tipsy after two beers and tries to throw me over his shoulder, except he drops me on the sidewalk and bruises my elbow severely. Then he laughs about it as I moan and writhe on the ground in pain.

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Ow! :eek: You better wear pads the next time you go out, Allison...and maybe a helmet!

shimmer728
08-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I know. It's like being in an abusive relationship.

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:07 AM
LOL. WB acts all goofy and innocent then BAM! He turns out to be EEEEVIIIIL :twisted:

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Back to the original topic at hand:

I consider myself a social smoker. I dont have cravings during the week, and I dont always smoke when I go to a bar or club....
I have lit up randomly since about the age of 14......stopped from 16-20 and started again at 21.
I have maybe 5-10 a weekend IF Im smoking heavily....and might not have another for months.

Why do I do it? When drinking, the smoke (since I dont do it that often) still makes me slightly more buzzy because my body isnt used to the nicotine.
Slightly bigger buzz means less $$ on booze.

<shrug>
I dont think its that big of a deal. I think its bad for those people who smoke consistantly and have cravings and cant give it up at all.
Currently, I havent had a smoke in over a month---and I actually had to think about the last time I probably had one. LoL

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Why need a buzz in the first place?

paperjam1015
08-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Why need a buzz in the first place?

cuz it's fun.

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't think it's necessary, but that's my opinion...whatever.

paperjam1015
08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
:razz: Roller coasters aren't necessary either, but I LOVE 'em!!

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Cause if you are at a bar or a club and you are having a drink or whatever----its nice to have a light buzz (not the throw up kind, or the spinny make it stop kind)
But the light simple yeah I had a drink (or 3) and now Im having a smoke to just keep that light happy buzz and be laughs and smiles.

Its not about getting drunk. I have never been drunk, or thrown up from drinking....I usually go out have 1 or 2 drinks (sometimes more if it involves dancing) and then have a smoke.

What is the harm in that?

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:28 AM
I don't depend on other things giving me laughs/smiles/whatever. Why do people need buzzes in the first place? That's what I don't understand about drinking. If you need drinks/smokes to get you happy...that's just sorry.

Winter Storm
08-03-2004, 10:33 AM
I totally hate social smoking. I have a few friends that only smoke when out with others that smoke and I think it is so stupid. Why smoke when you know you don't normally do it?

Having recently lost my father to lung cancer and watching what he went through, it's not worth it. I don't understand why so many young people do smoke. Unlike previous generations, we grew up being taught about the dangers.

I don't get it. And I don't appreciate them smoking around me either.

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:35 AM
I agree with you, WinterStorm. I think smoking is retarted and people who do it are asking for BIG trouble. Even occassionally smoking (as well as second hand smoke) can put you at risk for lung illnesses. If you can avoid getting sick, why do it??

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I do not rely on booze to make me smile or laugh or have a good time.
Do I like to go out and sometimes have some drinks with friends? SURE!
Do I do it on a weekly basis? Nope.

Do I like to go to the bar with friends and have a few margaritas while chatting over chips and salsa? Yes. Does it tend to get more hysterical as we all get a slight buzz and more laughy because of it? Yes.
Is there any harm in this? Nope.

Is there any harm in then stopping the drinking and then having a smoke to just keep the buzz? Nope.

I know the dangers in smoking, why do I still do it? Because Im not addicted, and as they say if you are an avid smoker for 10 years and you quit 100%, in 7 months you have undone 3 years worth of damage. In 1.5 years time you have undone 50% of the damage. And in 3 years your lungs are clean.

I dont even smoke that much to begin with. A pack usually lasts me 3 months or more.

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MOS9904
I know the dangers in smoking, why do I still do it? Because Im not addicted
That made zero sense.

I don't know, I just don't think alcohol needs to be in the equation to have a good time.

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by MetFanL
The greatest thing NY ever did was the no smoking in bars law. It's really outstanding... I HATE smoke and I hate the way it makes my hair and clothes smell after a night out. Not anymore. Also, I would never date a smoker, so I can just look around for the guys who don't have to sneak outside and I'm set.
Yeah, CT too! I LOVE IT. I hated being around smoke, having to fill my lungs with that shit. I would never date a smoker, either. If I saw a guy light up, I immediately got turned off. Respect your body. And it smells.

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Booze DOES NOT have to be in the equation to be a good time. A glass of wine with dinner is nice, a few drinks with friends is nice.

If Im at a bar with friends chatting, and we drink our margaritas, and are laughing and having a good time, is there really anything wrong with that?

We have also gone to the same place we have margaritas and not had anything to drink and had just as much fun....

Its not like we get togeher and say----where are we going drinking tonight?
Its usually what do we want to do tonight, oh there is a good band at that bar, sure lets go.

And the cigs just come into play with it. We go to the bar, we have a few drinks, we dance around, chat, laugh......but those things are not happening because of the booze. How do I know? Because there have been many other times we have gone out and done the SAME things with no booze involved. :p

The good time is happening because of the people that are out with me, not because of the booze. I dont know how much clearer I can make that statement.

But as for the smoking, sometimes its just nice while drinking to have one that just makes the buzz a tad bit more strong without having to ingest another rum and coke!

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 11:06 AM
I got it...but I don't understand why people choose to do things like that, especially smoking (the drinking thing was secondary). And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

But why do you still smoke if you aren't addicted? That's what didn't make sense.

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Okay....people who are addicted to smoking smoke all the time and have cravings etc, right?

I do not have these things. I do not have cravings, I do not smoke all the time, its only sometimes when out with friends for a night on random weekends.

You asked why do I smoke.
When drinking I get a buzz. I dont like this buzz to get too crazy (meaning turning into spins or even worse throwing up) so once I get that slight light headed buzzy feeling I STOP DRINKING.
Smoking the cig keeps the buzz going by making it a tad more there, but not so much that it then turns into being more buzzy.
Thus you dont get worse spins, you dont have to drink anything else......

Its a buzz enhancer in my eyes. That is why I sometimes have a smoke.

Have you ever had enough to drink where you felt a slight buzz?

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Yes, I've been buzzed. But I'm okay with it fading and don't need to keep it going. But then again, my body doesn't do well with alcohol, so I try to keep the drinking very low.

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 11:40 AM
I totally respect that!

We try to keep the buzz going because we get to the bar or club at oh 9 or 10.....and dont leave until closing at 2 (or later if we know the bartender)

Did I explain the smoking thing so you understand?

pisces2473
08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Cool...and I just want to let you and everyone else know that I respect people drinking...maybe I'm jealous b/c I can't have very much? LOL

Anyway, yes, I understand now (finally--dumb blonde moment of today). I've never smoked, so I didn't understand the concept of a buzz from cigs. Everyone I know who smokes has smoked forever so asking them what that first rush is like when you haven't smoked in awhile is useless.

shimmer728
08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by MetFanL

P.S. rum and cokes make you sick b/c of the sugar. Ask for a rum and DIET coke and you'll be better off.

Ick, R and Cs make me sick. Had too many bad experiences with rum to drink it ever again. I don't even like Diet Coke that much anymore.

I avoid hard liquor all together these days, because lately I've been a piss drunk and all it takes is one shot and the tantrums begin.

As far as smoking, I've smoked the occasional cig while drinking, but I always look like an ass because I seriously don't know HOW to do it right. Apparently the few times I've smoked, I've smoked them like joints.

Oh well. It's a disgusting habit and it makes you smell rancid.

MOS9904
08-03-2004, 11:53 AM
MetFan-----thats cool. And like I said-----Ive never been sick from drinking----probably because of my low tolerance and how its nice to have a buzz but too much is just gross.

As for knowing the bartender, the bar is small and the manager is there every evening. If the bartender gets caught giving us free drinks, he will get fired. The manager leaves when the bartenders are closing up, we hang out and chat, and at that point sometimes are able to get a free drink.

I typically dont drink rum and cokes, just was easier to type than my usual drinks....plus Im allergic to artificial sweetener----so your suggestion for diet coke would actually make me sick.

And for the 'expensive" cig comment....its $6 for a pack that lasts me 3 months-----
Thats better than having 5 drinks at $6 each. :P

Viola
08-03-2004, 02:06 PM
My husband pulls the "I don't smoke all the time" thing with me. He buys the occasional pack of cigarettes and he knows I do not like it at all. He comes at me with the "drinking is bad for you" hello! I drink maybe twice a week and it is a teeny glass of wine with dinner or a beer at my mom's on Sunday. I was a smoker in high school, until my grandfather died of lung cancer about 15 years after he quit smoking. I remember the buzz I used to get from a cigarette, it was ok, but definitely not worth it.

kimmer23
08-03-2004, 02:10 PM
yuck! rum and coke reminds me of something we would drink as teenagers...just trying to find what ever we could to mix from the parents' bar. it reminds me of some old timers drink!

paperjam1015
08-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Cool...and I just want to let you and everyone else know that I respect people drinking...maybe I'm jealous b/c I can't have very much? LOL

It's good to know I'm respected ;)

I WISH NC would ban smoking in bars., but here in the heart of tobbacco country I doubt I'll ever see that day!!

paperjam1015
08-03-2004, 02:24 PM
I think smoking is retarted and people who do it are asking for BIG trouble.

http://www.comedy-zone.net/pictures/signs/signpost40.htm

Ha couldn't resist....;)

and1grad
08-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Pisces,
I think this is the part where Kelso would be yelling "BURN" at you. LOL :D