PDA

View Full Version : cool cities???

girlwquestions
08-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I live in New York City all my life, with the exception of going away to college in Long Island (not too far away from home) for 4 years. However, I frequently go back to NYC, because my college community is kind of a yawnerz...

This May 2004, I've graduated and moved back home. Now, I'm contemplating about moving to a different city, because I figure I'm young and need to experience more on my own (and the early 20s is definitely the time to explore and take risks, right?)

However, I'm at a loss at where to go... I mean, I live in NYC, for christ's sake! It's the city that college graduates want to move IN to; not OUT! And I believe it when people say that once you live in NYC, you can't live anywhere else, because everywhere else is just slow and boring as compared to the "city that never sleeps" and I'm also someone that NEEDS a nightlife. I like to dance and socialize. I like to meet new people and have a good time; I need a lot going on!

So, what other cool cities are there? L.A. Chicago? Miami?

And has anyone live in other cities and NYC. If so, can you compare the two?

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Do you want a smaller city? Boston is good, so is Providence. I live near New Haven, and that's a teeny city, compared to the other two I've lived in.

Tayl405
08-10-2004, 11:55 AM
I love Philadelphia--it's big enough that there's lots to do, but small enough that you don't feel lost (not that you would, coming from NYC!).

I also love Chicago--I've never lived there but I lived nearby and went often. It's so clean, which I absolutely loved and it has such charm.

I don't know how far you want to move, but Honolulu was awesome too. You have it all--the beach, the mountains, and the city! :)

Don't move to Milwaukee (no offense to anyone), I just think it's boring. I used to live right outside of it.

What about Atlanta? I've heard that's a really fun city to live it.

LakeJay
08-10-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree with Boston and Providence. Philly is pretty nice too. I like NYC alot but if you want to tone it down a bit (not too much though) Boston and Philly are nice. Having just come back from vacation, Vancouver is the ulitmate if you are looking for a city with plenty of outdoor things to do.

bigboom
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
whats wrong with calgary, alberta canada? :)

we got mountains, snow, and the greatest outdoor show on earth...the stampede :)

one place id really like to live in the US though is Seattle. I am also a big fan of Boston and San Francisco.

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Well, she didn't say if she wanted to leave the US :)

kimmer23
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
depends if you are looking for a fun city or a city with jobs or what??

red
08-10-2004, 12:34 PM
i live in nyc, but i have lived in chicago and montreal. i liked chicago, but i couldn't find a job there in my field and i was living with a friend in a bad situation. so i ended up quitting my job and going to europe for a few months, and then when i came back i got a job in nyc. this was 5 years ago though. chicago is a fun place and not as pricy as nyc, and there are a lot of young people. it was good for me bcs i loved running on the lake and stuff.
my SIL lives outside miami, and it's ok, but it's not the city for me. i can't take the heat and i don't like the scene. but if you do like the scene, you might like it.
vancouver is the best! it is like my fave city, but it's not always easy to get work if you're a foreigner.
SF is also a great city. i would move there in a second. LA is ok, but it's not really a city for me.
if i had it to do all over again, i would get the hell out of nyc. it is just so outrageously expensive and i am sick of it. i wish we had moved when my husband was out of work last year.

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Also, what do you want in a city? Good public transportation, on the water, sporting events, etc? That can also determine where you are looking.

One of you guys HAS to know the URL for that site where you can answer questions and it tells you places to live that might fit your interests...I can't think of it.

kimmer23
08-10-2004, 12:43 PM
yeah there is a site for that...

i know a friend that LOVES kentucky, but i was there a few yrs ago and it just wasnt for me. there was no water (beach, lakes, creeks) around really and i am not much on BBQ.

i love new orleans but it tends to be sort of a dirty city and the crime is high...but its a lot of fun!

boston is cool too...
some people realy like texas too....

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Duuuh Kimmer...why not recommend your OWN city? It's fun there too!

red
08-10-2004, 01:04 PM
kimmer, how can you like beer and not like BBQ?!?!?!

Ederratic
08-10-2004, 01:04 PM
The bay area is good. San Fran and the surrounding cities. You would have to try pretty hard to be bored there. From what I hear though the job market in general is still very bad.

Avoid Phoenix. It may be a big city but there isn't a whole lot to do and the people are unpleasent.

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Ederratic
Avoid Phoenix. It may be a big city but there isn't a whole lot to do and the people are unpleasent.
Even if my idol lives there???

J/K

kimmer23
08-10-2004, 01:45 PM
ok jen....
baltimore is fun too! hehe! a lot of people seem to commute to dc/virginia for IT jobs though.

but bbq just aint my thing.

who is your idol jen??

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I love Stevie Nicks.

Tayl405
08-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Is the site www.findyourspot.com?

pisces2473
08-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Yes! That's it--thanks Taylor.

gluegun
08-10-2004, 04:27 PM
For those of you currently living in NYC, is it really that bad? Since the time I was a little girl I've always dreamed of relocating to Manhattan. I'm 25 now and I know that if I don't take the plunge soon then it may never happen.

I'm incredibly intimidated though. I hear it is just astronomically expensive.

flyogagrl
08-10-2004, 04:56 PM
So. Florida is lots of fun and extremely diverse. But it's not the northeast like people say it is. It has it's own culture and you do go through culture shock. But if you want to live by the beach year round, or at least take a crack at it. You may want to take a look at Ft. Lauderdale and Miami areas. The job markets are pretty good in Ft. Laud right now and the taxes are lower than Miami.

girlwquestions
08-11-2004, 12:00 AM
hey, thanks everyone for the great input!!! Now, I'm so excited that there are so many options for me. And I'm gonna give it a go at the website above to see whether it can pinpoint a city for me.

And who knows, maybe some of you can help me out!:

I just graduated, so job market is a definite factor. I need to be able to get a job in that city.

I like summer more than winter BY A WHOLE LOT. In fact, I hate winters...I think I have a mild case of seasonal affective disorder.

I like a night life...that's a MUST HAVE!! No night life, no go.

I need some place diverse with all different kinds of people. I need some place liberal, too. Not full of conservative Republicans. A mix is OK. (But basically what I mean is that I want an open-minded crowd...I'm from NY, remember?)

I need a lot of sunlight! I like to wear tank tops.

I like to do outdoorsy stuff. In fact, I like to do anything. I'll go biking, hiking, swimming, camping...whatever!! If it's something to do for fun, I'm up for it!

I like to club and dance (which I've already mentioned). A good potential social life is a Must, but I think that's more personality than location. I think I can handle the making friends part as long as there are lots of people around. I'm pretty socialable.

And an affordable apartment.

Soo........it seems like NYC suits me, right? =/ but I seriously wanna try another city...

Also, for the people who are wondering about NYC. Yes, it is expensive to live here. A studio cost over a 1000 easy. Not just in Manhattan. The other boroughs are quite expensive, too...although, not as expensive. It's fast here. Everyone is basically moving and shaking. No one stops to notice you on the streets. Everyone is pretty anonymous and oblivious to everyone else, except their own friends and families. The night life is great here in Manhattan. It's usually full of people starting Thursday night. People are already partying and having a great time. It is a NOT crime-ridden place. At least, I don't think so. It is pretty safe as long as you're smart and don't act like a tourist.

Any other questions, please ask me. =)

flyogagrl
08-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Honestly, sounds like you would fit in in Miami. If I were you, I'd take a look. Email me if you have any questions about South Florida, I can give you a northerner's point of view!

kimmer23
08-11-2004, 09:13 AM
just remember: you are looking for cities that have all these things you are interested in. are you still going to be interested in all/some of these things in 1 yr/5 yrs/ 10 yrs? will the city fit you then or will you want to move again??

red
08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
nyc sucks. my husband and i pull in a good combined salary, and we can't afford to buy anything.
personally, i am not into clubbing or whatever. i am more of an outdoorsy person, which is a big reason why nyc sucks for me. you have to drive out of the city to get to hike, bike, etc. i mean you CAN bike in the city, but personally my idea of fun is not riding in traffic behind a smelly garbage truck. i am not someone who is into shopping or seeing and being seen, etc. i just am a down to earth person. so i find i don't fit in well in mahattan anymore. i do like the boros and i like the diversity, but i don't think that nyc has a monopoly on diversity. and you can't get any apt in manhattan or queens for less than 1000 a month now. nothing. they rent a crappy basement apt in my neighborhood (which is not a yuppie neighborhood) for 1000+.
another thing i don't like about manhattan is that it's the same crap as you would see in any town. crapplebee's, TGIFridays, starbucks, etc. yuck. that is what i like about queens, that i can still get good quality food and services at ok prices, but in general, for me, i feel like it's not worth the high cost of living. i just really want to live in a place with grass and trees at this point in my life.
and i am the opposite of you girlwqs. i hate summer. we haven't even had a bad one this year, and i still hate it. i am a winter person all the way. so chicago might not be good for you. they have some cold winters.

girlwquestions
08-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by kimmer23
just remember: you are looking for cities that have all these things you are interested in. are you still going to be interested in all/some of these things in 1 yr/5 yrs/ 10 yrs? will the city fit you then or will you want to move again??

Hey Kimmer,

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will change eventually. Yes, those are the things I want now. In fact, 2 years ago, I don't even care for clubs and when I first started college in Long Island, I even liked the quietness at night when I can hear the crickets, but......

I don't think that far into the future. Sure, I think about as far as 5 years away (once in a while), but seriously, I just want to experience NOW. I know I won't be the same person at 21 and 31. I mean, that's a whole 10 years apart and a whole different stage of life. But, at 21 now, I just want to worry about having a fun life. I mean, why should I worry about being happy with where I live at 31 when I can't even determine where I want to live right now at 21. Lots of things can change in 10 years, but you deal with it by changing with those things. So, if necessary, I will move again later...hey? who wants to live in the same old place FOREVER anyway?

kimmer23
08-11-2004, 10:45 AM
girlwquestions,

well you ARE young...so you have plenty of time to move around and make decisions. i didnt know your age at first... i am 25 now and life starts to change a little around this time. most of your friends have graduated, people are working full time and you dont seem to have the fast past lifestyle we all had at 18-22.

well let us all know what city you decide on!

chococat_79
08-11-2004, 11:05 AM
U.S. best kept secret? Portland, OR...only problem is the job market isn't stellar but it's absolutely gorgeous out there, a great place to be if your 20s-40s, 1 hr from coast, 1 hr from mountains, really wonderful sense of community, great restaurants... I'm back in Chicago for work-reasons but am looking to move back to Portland in the next 2 yrs...

wordsmith
08-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by girlwquestions
I like a night life...that's a MUST HAVE!! No night life, no go.

I need some place diverse with all different kinds of people. I need some place liberal, too. Not full of conservative Republicans. A mix is OK. (But basically what I mean is that I want an open-minded crowd...I'm from NY, remember?)

I need a lot of sunlight! I like to wear tank tops.

I like to do outdoorsy stuff. In fact, I like to do anything. I'll go biking, hiking, swimming, camping...whatever!! If it's something to do for fun, I'm up for it!

I like to club and dance (which I've already mentioned). A good potential social life is a Must, but I think that's more personality than location. I think I can handle the making friends part as long as there are lots of people around. I'm pretty socialable.

And an affordable apartment.

Based on this criteria, Chicago might not be a bad match.

-It's very social, there's a wide range of things to do, good nightlife.

-It's so heavily democratic that it sways a VERY otherwise republican/conservative state into the liberal vote in every major election.

-Tank tops will work there. Although it does have a winter.

-Though it has some really shitty areas, it also has lots of very pretty outdoor areas, including a biking/walking trail that runs along Lake Michigan. It's also not a far drive outside the city to get to lots of state parks and natural areas.

-It's the midwest, so people aren't as standoffish and keep-to-themselves as they might be in other cities. People are generally approachable. So it's sociable, for a large city.

-You can spend tons on rent, naturally, but very nice apartments are able to be had for not that much, if you look carefully. I had a very nice, very large, recently rehabbed 2 bedroom in a decent area for $850 when I lived there. It was a steal. There are those deals out there.

girlwquestions
08-12-2004, 11:35 PM
thanks everyone! for your great suggestions! I'll definitely take it into consideration. Maybe I'll apply to schools there (Chicago, Miami, and San Francisco)

Btw, I'm Chinese. How are the cultural diversities in these areas?

flyogagrl
08-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Miami is super diverse. However, the majority of residents are latino or of latin decent so you should be comfortable with that culture to live down here. But there really is a cross section of every race, ethnicity, and religion down here- including the Kabbalah Center in Hollywood, FL where all the celebrities go.

winneythepooh7
08-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by red
nyc sucks. my husband and i pull in a good combined salary, and we can't afford to buy anything.
personally, i am not into clubbing or whatever. i am more of an outdoorsy person, which is a big reason why nyc sucks for me. you have to drive out of the city to get to hike, bike, etc. i mean you CAN bike in the city, but personally my idea of fun is not riding in traffic behind a smelly garbage truck. i am not someone who is into shopping or seeing and being seen, etc. i just am a down to earth person. so i find i don't fit in well in mahattan anymore. i do like the boros and i like the diversity, but i don't think that nyc has a monopoly on diversity. and you can't get any apt in manhattan or queens for less than 1000 a month now. nothing. they rent a crappy basement apt in my neighborhood (which is not a yuppie neighborhood) for 1000+.
another thing i don't like about manhattan is that it's the same crap as you would see in any town. crapplebee's, TGIFridays, starbucks, etc. yuck. that is what i like about queens, that i can still get good quality food and services at ok prices, but in general, for me, i feel like it's not worth the high cost of living. i just really want to live in a place with grass and trees at this point in my life.
and i am the opposite of you girlwqs. i hate summer. we haven't even had a bad one this year, and i still hate it. i am a winter person all the way. so chicago might not be good for you. they have some cold winters.

I am beginning to agree more and more with you Red. I think living in NYC is one of those things every 20-something should do in their life, but it really does play itself out after awhile. The rents are unbelievably high for limited space, and if you don't have a connection in finding an apt, expect to go through a broker and pay lots of $$$$$$$. Manhattan is great IF you have $$$$$$ but otherwise there is not a whole lot you can do there on a regular basis. Paying upwards from $10 for a drink is not my idea of a good time. The restaurants are amazing but again, expect to pay at least $30 upward for a basic good meal. I used to love my Queens neighborhood with it's trees and gardens hidden in such an urban area, however, that is beginning to change with the recent onset of crime. Not only with the "sexual predators" I've wrote about in another thread, but more and more people who are not too savory are moving in to the last rental buildings left in the area. Living in NYC you ALWAYS have to be prepared for unexpected expenses as well that definately do come up. Everything is two-three times as much here. You get it everywhere, I know, but I notice there is an incredibly high amount of pretentious people as well in NYC, especially Manhattan. There are jobs, however, most don't pay nearly what the cost of living adds up to. I am leaning more and more to moving out to the Island, although it's just as pricey, at least I could have a yard and privacy there;)

cbooz
08-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by girlwquestions

Btw, I'm Chinese. How are the cultural diversities in these areas?

In terms of your own race, Miami is probably the least diverse of the three cities. There's only a small percentage of chinese and/or Asians in the area.

Chicago has a Chinatown area where you see many chinese restaurants and shops, but its relatively small in comparision to the size of the city.

San Francisco's population is close to 20% Chinese . It's a really beautiful area, very liberal, lots of things to do with many job opportunities. But, good luck trying to find cheap housing!

IT really depends what kind of Chinese person you are. Are you a FOB, or a ABC? hehe..

Check this site out, it'll give you a good idea of the demographics of each city.

http://www.city-data.com/

girlwquestions
08-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by cbooz

IT really depends what kind of Chinese person you are. Are you a FOB, or a ABC? hehe..

LOL, cbooz. Do I sound like a FOB or an ABC? I guess you're chinese, too, if you know the difference between those 2 words, or you at least have a lot of asian friends. Have you lived in all 3 of those cities?

(Are you a fob or abc? =)

pisces2473
08-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Ummm....can you explain what FOB and ABC is? Is it FOreign Born and American Born Chinese?

LakeJay
08-17-2004, 01:30 PM
If I am correct, FOB is Fresh Off the Boat. Not sure what ABC is.

cbooz
08-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Hehe, You're both right. Fresh off the Boat and American Born Chinese.

If I was to guess I'd say your like me....I'm more ABC then FOB, even though I was born overseas. I really get along with a good mix of people, although I do have a shortage of friends that are my own race.

I have never lived in those areas, but have visited those cities a few times. So, I have a fairly good grasp of what those cities have to offer. I'm still stuck in the midwest, but I'm preparing for a move to California in the next few months.

red
08-22-2004, 06:40 PM
i have officially decided that nyc sucks. we went to a movie in the neighborhood last night, and some people almost hit us with a van as we were walking home. we got the plate and called the cops, but the car took off before they got there. i'm sure the cops won't do anything about it. the van came within an inch of me. (winney, it was right by the mcd's on the southside of QB) and we weren't jaywalking, so either they were drunk/high or else they were trying to hit us.

cazort
08-23-2004, 09:50 AM
I know everyone will disagree with me, but Cleveland is not really that bad a place. Cleveland's main advantage is that it has small pockets of that "urban feel" that you get in cities like New York and Boston, but it is dirt cheap relative to these places. There is a tremendous amount of culture here. The downside to living here is that the economy here is very bad, it's very tough to find a good job, and it can sometimes be hard to find the interesting stuff--it almost takes someone to show you (the vast majority of the city is just burned out, vacant lots, burned down buildings, slums).

Give it a visit though! I would venture to say that Cleveland is more "urban" than any city of its size with as low a cost of living.

I would recommend to anyone who is offered a job in Cleveland (or can find one) that it would be a wonderful place to move. If you can't find a job...think twice before moving here. The economy is bad.

cazort
08-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by LakeJay
Not sure what ABC is.

ABC also stands for American Baptist Church. I get sick of saying I went to a "Baptist" church because then everyone thinks I went to one of those "Hate gays and beat your wife" churches, and then I have to go through the whole deal about how southern baptists and American Baptists broke off because the southern ones still had slavery and the American ones thought it was wrong. American Baptist churches are cool...they are baptist, but progressive!

Go ABC's!

wordsmith
08-23-2004, 10:21 AM
As far as the ethnicity/diversity question, speaking for Chicago, there is of course the Chinatown neighborhood, but there are also quite a few neighborhoods that are very diverse, in addition to the more homogenous ethnic enclaves. There are a lot of areas where you can live and there will be a multitude of ethnicities living side by side.

girlwquestions
08-23-2004, 11:05 PM
just to let everyone know that I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow!!!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~!!!!!!!!! for TWO whole weeks. LOL~!

I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

DharmaBum79
08-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I've gotta go with Vegas and San Diego. LV is another city that never sleeps; definitely the place to go if you want a nightlife. San Diego isn't as lively, at least not what I saw, but there's still plenty of bars and clubs.

DharmaBum

pluie76
08-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Try Austin Texas.

With 50,000 college kids, there is a huge nightlife. And since its a major tech town, it has a more than just drunk college kids, so there's plenty of places to go where there are more mature "adult" people. :)

Plenty of diversity there too. I'm not sure it gets much more liberal than there. They pride themselves on their weirdness, and I think there is an organization for a group there for any cause you could imagine.

Plenty of sunny days, plenty of opportunities to wear tank tops :) And always a pool nearby. If you can't find an outdoor activity in that town you're not trying. There's Lake Travis which is absolutely gorgeous for swimming and boating, its on the edge of hill country for plenty of mountain biking and hiking, they have miles and miles of trails. The river is there for all the canoeing and waterskiing you could want, and plenty of creeks nearby for tubing and tons of camp areas.

Rent is cheap (as long as you aren't trying to live near campus!). There are plenty of complexes (many brand new) that are affordable. Not to mention food is really cheap too (I miss that a lot now, being in Chicago).

As far as schools, UT is one of the best. They have numerous top ranked programs, and tuition is really cheap compared to other schools. I think it just got picked as one of the Best Buy schools in the country. Even if you're not going to school, they have a lot of great stuff going on in Austin because of the university.

I would have stayed if my family was closer! Although my parents say they'd move in a heartbeat .*L* There wasn't much of a job market though for me.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

wordsmith
08-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Pluie, you're in Chicago? When did you move back?

girlwquestions
09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Hey all...

I'm in San Francisco now for about 1.5 weeks now...and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't particularly know why I like it so much, I just do. The only thing I don't like are the chilly nights here. Other than that, it's all good. The people seems a lot more laid back and outgoing than NYers. I feel less stressed myself, too.

Anyways, a part of me just wanna stay....LOL...but I know I can't because I got a job in NY now. I start work as soon as I get back to NY.

I am also going to Los Angeles this weekend, so I'll check that out. I think I should still do some comparison shoppings and check out Miami and Chicago.

Skyblade
09-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Sounds like you are doing a lot of traveling..lucky!

shimmer728
09-02-2004, 08:52 PM
I've lived in a tiny little central PA town for the last two years, and I'm starting to think I'm not as much of a city girl as I used to think I was. Small towns have a lot of advantages--little traffic, less pollution, more attractive natural scenery and the people seem to be friendlier.

I do frequently get cravings for sushi or Thai food in the middle of the week, though, and sadly, that's unavailable around here. It's OK, though. I get my fill of good Asian food on the weekends.

I will say this, though--thank God for online shopping. ;)

pluie76
09-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Pluie, you're in Chicago? When did you move back?

Beginning of June I moved up here, started work 2.5 weeks after graduation (just a tad bit too soon for moving across the country). Things have just been nuts. Trying to get used to the fast pace of a larger city once again (Austin had all the fun of a large city but the ability to have a yard too). VERY tired of all the traffic (hence why I am leaving for Labor Day weekend in the morning rather than tonight). I dunno if I love Chicago as much as everybody I've met yet, but I'm working on it! If we ever get a group together here, you'll have to come in!

wordsmith
09-04-2004, 07:18 PM
I like Chicago, but I effing HATED the traffic (even w/ public tran).

Yeah, I'm in fairly often, maybe the ball will get rolling in something at some point.