PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Pizza Delivery

StateNAurora
08-18-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm going to visit a college friend at the end of September. I have not seen her in 3 years and I'm very excited to see her. Since our almamater( just voted as one the top reefer madness schools in the country, were all very proud) is on the way I'm planning on bringing a pizza from the local shop. This has been in contention at work if I relly can do this. Do you try keep it hot or do yo cool it? I know what I plan to do, but just want to check if any of you have some good ideas.

I know the LA alumni group has FedExd pizzas across the country.

paperjam1015
08-18-2004, 06:24 PM
I would say cooled. It would be hard to keep it a a warm enough temp to keep from going bad and ieven if you could keep it that warm it would be hard as a rock when you got there.

A few that I have seen lately will sell half-baked pizzas. That way you can cook it the rest when you get there.
Call the shop and see if they can do that for you.

bigboom
08-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by paperjam1015
I would say cooled. It would be hard to keep it a a warm enough temp to keep from going bad and ieven if you could keep it that warm it would be hard as a rock when you got there.

A few that I have seen lately will sell half-baked pizzas. That way you can cook it the rest when you get there.
Call the shop and see if they can do that for you.

now what possessed you to go find out if a pizza place sells half baked pizzas? :)

paperjam1015
08-18-2004, 06:38 PM
LOL.. They advertise them!!! So you can take them home or have them mailed to someone who doesn't live in the area.

kitalyn414
08-18-2004, 06:41 PM
in college my roommate's friends would send her pizza from this great place in chicago. the pizza place would send them on dry ice and we would pop them in the oven. maybe this place would do the same?

StateNAurora
08-18-2004, 06:50 PM
My school was ranked but not that high, tongue in cheek.

paperjam1015
08-18-2004, 07:00 PM
DAMN IT!! Now I want pizza!! Somebody FedEx me one!!

kimmer23
08-18-2004, 07:24 PM
why are you taking pizza again? i missed something here....

StateNAurora
08-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't you want something local that you wouldn't be able to get too easily as a surprise? Oddly enough I'm bringing it to Baltimore.

Skyblade
08-18-2004, 07:37 PM
It reminds me of that movie "Fools Rush In" where Selma Hayek's character gets Gray's Papaya's hot dogs from NY in Mexico. I always wondered how they stayed hot.

kimmer23
08-18-2004, 10:00 PM
damn, i would jut order papa john's! seems a lot easier....

kimmer23
08-18-2004, 10:00 PM
if i were craving something from home, it definitely wouldnt be pizza!

StateNAurora
08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
PaPa John's from around the corner, what would be the fun in that? Anyways I've thought of and heard of just getting a box from the place a nd buying a pizza down there. I'm honest to a fault and couldn't live with myself if I did do something like that.

I amy just fall back on bagels or if I can think of something easier to transport, but not yet. She's already getting me in my college rowing shirt. What more does she need? I kid.

Kimmer what would you want from College Park? Even though you wouldn't have far to go get it.

Funny story about this girl she drove down from Central New York to Baltimore and back in one night. In order to steal a garden globe from the new owners of her childhood home. Pizza is sounding a lot more sane and practical now.

kimmer23
08-19-2004, 12:08 AM
statenaurora,

i dont know what i'd want from college park?? i dont even know whats at college park?? its like 45 minutes away from my house.

maxwell78
08-19-2004, 02:14 AM
Since we're taking orders, can someone in Philly overnight me a cheesesteak from Pat's? :D

By the way, I think pizza is better cold anyway.

iwanttoscream
08-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Skyblade
It reminds me of that movie "Fools Rush In" where Selma Hayek's character gets Gray's Papaya's hot dogs from NY in Mexico. I always wondered how they stayed hot.

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! I love being reminded of movies I forgot about - I am home alone tonight - I am going to order a pizza and watch that movie! (I am ordering from Papa John's - I love their garlic sauce and the jalapeno).

bd1222
08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Skyblade - They do have the best food at Gray's --- every time we head into the city (It's about 20 min away) we go there!!

what about getting a thermal bag to put it in?
Do a search in your area...that a distributor may sell them to you or call up and say you are thinking of purchasing a thermal bag ans ask them to send u a sample...It may work

LakeJay
08-19-2004, 12:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040819/ap_on_fe_st/best_sandwich

The sandwiches from the Grease Trucks of Rutgers University in the above article are definitely a food I would want brought out to me if I moved to a remote location. Only I would want them kept a bit warm. My friends and I used to drive up from Trenton after parties when we were in school. Worth the trip. I am partial to the Fat Cat (2 cheeseburgers, french fries, L,O,T, Ketchup, Mayo) but I will definitely try out the Fat Darrell soon.

paperjam1015
08-19-2004, 02:26 PM
From Virginia I miss Fire Dept fundraiser Brunswick Stew. Oohhhh and fresh out of the bay Blue Crabs.

From Eastern NC, I miss BBQ and all the fixins. Carolina 'Cue is definitely an experience and an acquired taste. Ohh and I miss Andy's Steak and Cheese and fresh made OrangeAde :)

iwanttoscream
08-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by paperjam1015
From Eastern NC, I miss BBQ and all the fixins. Carolina 'Cue is definitely an experience and an acquired taste. Ohh and I miss Andy's Steak and Cheese and fresh made OrangeAde :)

NC BBQ is the best - there is a restaurant in Greensboro - Stamey's - that is AMAZING - they have the best barbecue and Brunswick stew - I make it a point to go everytime I am there. I practically lived off it in college. I am with you on the OrangeAde - I want to go home!!!

paperjam1015
08-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Do they have Andy's in G-Boro? If so I'm on my way!!

Have you been to Gardner's in Rocky Mount...YUMMY!!!

But the Brunswick Stew down here, just isn't as good. I usually just order extra coleslaw.

iwanttoscream
08-19-2004, 03:09 PM
No but they have one in Greenville (ECU) and in Elizabeth City (my hometown) - LOVE it!