PDA

View Full Version : why do women wear makeup?

cazort
09-17-2004, 04:59 PM
I have always thought that women looked more attractive without any makeup. Today I saw someone who I realized I had never seen without makeup, and I thought she looked really attractive (she looks attractive normally but she looks even more so without makeup).

When I started thinking about it, I realized just how much effort, time, and nuisance is involved in makeup. Why in the world would anyone do that? And it looks so unattractive...

In fact, when I ask guys, most guys say that girls look better without makeup, and they would rather that girls not wear any makeup.

So what's the deal? It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

bigboom
09-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by cazort
I have always thought that women looked more attractive without any makeup. Today I saw someone who I realized I had never seen without makeup, and I thought she looked really attractive (she looks attractive normally but she looks even more so without makeup).

When I started thinking about it, I realized just how much effort, time, and nuisance is involved in makeup. Why in the world would anyone do that? And it looks so unattractive...

In fact, when I ask guys, most guys say that girls look better without makeup, and they would rather that girls not wear any makeup.

So what's the deal? It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

cuz women are stubborn and like to think what they want to think? :)

i prefer women with no make up, every now and then its ok...but not all the time. its just so unnatural!

kitalyn414
09-17-2004, 05:45 PM
on a daily basis i really only wear cover up, powder, mascara (sometimes), & chapstick. in fact, if you saw me, you would probably assume that i don't wear makeup.

so...

cover up - covers up imperfections. namely zits and discolorations.

powder - makes me not look shiny.

mascara - this is optional, but makes the eyes stand out a bit.

chapstick - stictly a moisturizing agent.

when i go out, i wear more. i guess i think it makes me look sexy or whatever, especially at night. its like how stage performers wear makeup. it makes your features stand out.

paiger81
09-17-2004, 05:45 PM
I swear it is like war paint:razz: I only wear it when I have to go to work.

My dad likes women au natural as well. His saying:

"A little powder, a little paint
Makes a gal something she ain't"

heatherf
09-17-2004, 05:52 PM
hmmmmm.....

I guess I do it to "doll up"....but there are many times I don't really wear make-up. My must have though is Mascara. I have REALLY long eye-lashes and really pretty blue eyes, so I like to make sure that they stand out. Plus, I'm blonde hair/blue eyed, really fair, and my eyelashes are not black, but light brown, so when I make them black, it's a little dramatic.

tartytwenty
09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by paiger81
"A little powder, a little paint
Makes a gal something she ain't"

That's a cute saying :) If I wear make-up (like 3 or so times a year) it's very little and natural colors. A little can go a long way.

Multiades
09-17-2004, 06:25 PM

So what's the deal? It just makes absolutely no sense to me. I agree. I don't get it?

Natural is better. Makeup won't add beauty that isn't there, and can only detract from the already naturally beautiful.

-Chris

shimmer728
09-17-2004, 06:49 PM
I guess I don't wear much, just lip gloss, shimmery eye shadow and mascara. I'm really funny about hand lotion and nail polish though. I look at my hands and nails constantly to make sure the skin isn't flaky and my nails aren't chipped.

WeirdBrake
09-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Every five seconds, folks. She looks at her nails EVERY FIVE SECONDS!

shimmer728
09-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Yes, and every time he asks me with great concern what's wrong. Nothing, I'm just obsessive-compulsive! :)

wordsmith
09-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Some (I'd argue most) women wear makeup to either cover what are generally recognized as appearance flaws, or to play up particular features.

Some wear it for fun (like costumes or dressing up).

I feel for women who feel less good about themselves or self-conscious if they're not wearing it. Ideally, cosmetics should enhance your natural features, not mask anything. But since mainstream standards of beauty are so fixated on being flawless, and hiding any imperfection, you're gonna have that.

anaphora
09-17-2004, 09:39 PM
I don't think wearing makeup has anything to do with what men think.

Women wear makeup because they care about what other women will think and say.

shimmer728
09-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by anaphora

Women wear makeup because they care about what other women will think and say.

Yeah, I think you've got something there. Women can be very critical of other women.

Sus122079
09-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Much like kita said, I wear make-up, but you probably wouldn't know I am wearing any. I have good skin but am cursed with dark circles under my eyes (I think I got them from my dad, grrr), so concealer for me is an absolute must. I also have very dark brown eyes, so I like to wear a bit of color on my lips to balance things, plus a bit of bronzer and/or blush, since I am very very pale, which I hate (the only one in my family, what gives? ahhhh. oh well, hehe.) If I don't wear any color, I tend to look like Casper, but then again, if I wear too much, because of my fair skin I can look like death warmed over, a la the latest corpse on "Six Feet Under", so I have to be careful... ;)

pluie76
09-17-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure why I wear makeup... maybe for me its like playing grown up since I too never really learned the proper application methods. (Eyeliner goes... where? Here? Here? Ouch, shit, that was my eye....). Maybe I just think its fun. I only wear eye shadow though... I'm not sure if my Chapstick counts. Going out consists of slightly more... mascara and eyeliner. Thats it.

Its nice to hear that the natural look is prefered. Then how come I'm perpetually single huh huh??? Perhaps my boobs aren't big enough. :)

anaphora
09-18-2004, 12:02 AM
That's pretty shallow and ridiculous to reject women based on breast size.

But then again, we live in a sex-obsessed and dysfunctional society.

Multiades
09-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by anaphora
That's pretty shallow and ridiculous to reject women based on breast size.

But then again, we live in a sex-obsessed and dysfunctional society. I actually don't get that. Breast size doesn't matter. I'd call people who think it does shallow, but I can't even find SUPERFICIAL benefit or detriment based on breast size. Apparently some do.

-Chris

anaphora
09-18-2004, 03:16 AM
Women do the same thing though, though many of them would like to claim that they are not superficial.

Women select on all sorts of shaky cues such as height, build, hair distribution, employment (which at a younger age I don't think is necessarily a good predictor of future success), etc.

But that's how it's always been. Women have always been the choosers, and men must settle for what they can get.

kimmer23
09-18-2004, 08:57 AM
you guys are crazy that say you like natural women. i think most of you would freak out if we just got out of the shower and left the house without putting on a little powder or some type of light cover up. sometimes you think your girlfriends is not wearing makeup when she really is. me and all my friends look pale and pasty without a little makeup. a little liquid make up ( i like the sheer kind) even has sunscreen in it and has kept me from getting burned all summer. most of the men i know like red. my dad and husband both like red lipstick and red nail polish.

SweetEm
09-18-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm not a big make-up person unless I go out dancing or something. Then I like to do crazy things with eyeshadow, which is just fun.

Normal days, nothing except mascara, tinted spf, and chapstick.

It's funny, I was just pondering the point of make-up a few days ago. I go in phases with my views on it - mostly I like it just to "dress up," which was something I loved to do when I was a kid.

The other thing I'm addicted to is eyebrow plucking. Another cosemetic alteration that is a little weird, but I've been doing it since I was in middle school.

iwannascream2
09-18-2004, 12:27 PM
I am one of those girls that guys think wears no make-up! I actually really try to make it look like no make-up. I still have not figured out how to make concealer under my eyes not get cakey. So I do not wear it! Any tips?

I only wear foundation/concealer on my t-zone to make my pores look non-existent and to dot the odd zit. Yes I powder after to absorb oil. I do wear curling mascara to curl my lashes and make them stand-out. All in all I simply look like I have darker lashes and more perfect skin. Takes 5 minutes or less.

On the other hand, I am a skin care fanatic. So I do not need to wear much make-up! Yeah the odd woman tells me I need more colour but, guys seem to like my no make-up look. Since I want to attract guys I do not care. I also think that it is the same thing about being very skinny. Most men as far as I know do not like the bone rack look. However, women are more likely to be over critical of other women being fat.

gia
09-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Well, I do not wear any make-up. None whatsoever. When I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, I like what I see. That is what is important to me. I have also encountered many women who I think look much better without make-up.

None of my boyfriends have ever had any complaints. Plenty of men compliment me, stare at me and approach me. They think I'm beautiful without it. My skin is not flawless, but I don't care. No one is perfect. Any mature man is well aware of this. That 5 extra minutes of sleep every day does more for my overall health and appearance than spending that time applying make-up.

ce607
09-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Women DO compete with each other and size each other up, but I think that, at least in part, has to do with competing for men, even just on an instinctual level. If we were just a bunch of women living together, do you think we would still wear as much makeup? I think not.

(I wear some mild foundation to cover up blemishes, powder because I get oily, and chapstick/lip gloss because my lips get dry.) But I do admit that it can be neat to put on real makeup. The people who wear eye makeup are right - it can make your eyes look big and pretty.

iwannascream2
09-18-2004, 01:11 PM
I agree with Gia about sleep making you look better than make-up! That is why I am more into skincare/fitness than make-up. I like the feel and smell of masks/ creams. I also eat my veggies, sleep 7 hrs, exercise and drink water. Though I do not just do the above just for vanitys sake. If I had the patience I might play more with eye make-up for fun.

However, you cannot buy a "healthy glow" in a bottle! Not to mention the confidence that Gia exudes attracts guys! You go girl!

Multiades
09-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by kimmer23
you guys are crazy that say you like natural women. i think most of you would freak out if we just got out of the shower and left the house without putting on a little powder or some type of light cover up. sometimes you think your girlfriends is not wearing makeup when she really is. me and all my friends look pale and pasty without a little makeup. a little liquid make up ( i like the sheer kind) even has sunscreen in it and has kept me from getting burned all summer. most of the men i know like red. my dad and husband both like red lipstick and red nail polish. I see no problem in a woman meeting up with me after getting out of the shower with no time to "prepare". :p

...but seriously, I've seen them in such a situation and I don't understand what all of the extras are for. :confused:

No preparation necessary.

-Chris

kimmer23
09-18-2004, 04:11 PM
i tend to look shiny without makeup.

most stars look awful without their makeup as well. britney spears is one of them. she looks pretty bad until she has her hair extensions in and makeup on.

cazort
09-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by kimmer23
most stars look awful without their makeup as well. britney spears is one of them. she looks pretty bad until she has her hair extensions in and makeup on.

http://www.deansplanet.com/z/images/celebs/no_makeup/britneyspears.jpg

Ok, so what's the verdict? I actually find Britney considerably more attractive without the makeup. She looks like the sort of person I might actually become friends with, as opposed to someone I would be likely to totally ignore. Granted, this is an extreme example of makeup...BTW I think Britney isn't really all that sexy either way.

I'm sure some girls use makeup in ways that look good, but it's probably because they use it very sparingly.

What's with the whole "perfection" thing? I actually find it attractive if someone has an occasional skin defect here or there, but looks healthy as a whole. Imperfections make someone seem real, even if someone had no makeup on, if they looked perfect, it would seem a bit strange, because everyone's skin has defects.

I use chapstick all the time in the winter, and I'm a guy. When the wind is bad, I just can't get by without it. I started to use Burt's bees though instead--it's minty!

kimmer23
09-18-2004, 06:40 PM
i think she looks pretty bad in that link without the makeup. her skin is all uneven and she looks hungover! she looks like she'd be working at the dollar store!

joneshen
09-19-2004, 01:02 AM
I like the idea of using makeup to make me look glamourous. However, if I go all out (i.e. use foundation, in addition to eye makeup and lipstick), my face gets tired after a couple of hours. It's as if the makeup turns into a pumpkin.

When I go to work, the most I'll use if lipstick and eyeliner. I'm afraid if I use nothing I'll look much youner than I am. Otherwise, I'd probably just wear flavored, clear lipgloss and that would be it.

ce607
09-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Why the dollar store?

iwannascream2
09-19-2004, 11:51 AM
I do not really think that the photos are a fair depiction!

The lighting on the supposed no make-up one is really bad and adds strange shadows that make her look like a hag. Looks overlit by florescent bulbs, ugh! Plus she is squinting... Anybody would look yucky in photos under such conditions.

The one with make-up is perfectly lit, posed and probably retouched! That one was probably the best shot out of a few dozen shots. She is probably wearing make-up that would look clown-like in person but, looks good on film.

I like to think of the above when looking at "perfect" pictures of celebrities or models. There are models that look disgustingly skinny in person and have bad skin. However, they look good in photos since the camera adds pounds and lighting/ make-up/ retouching/ posing can hide imperfections.

wordsmith
09-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Hi, I'm wordsmith, and I'll be your cynical bitch this a.m. (By the way, I DID have a good date last night, so it's not that).

EVERY guy says that natural beauty is better than make-up. But this fails to take into account that most women (there is a lucky minority, but it's just that, a minority) ARE NOT naturally stunning w/ out makeup. How many people are naturally BEAUTIFUL? Not naturally attractive, naturally good looking, naturally passable, naturally not that bad looking, but naturally beautiful? Not that many. Most women look like average, ordinary people, which is fine...but NOT, 99 times out of 100, stunningly beautiful when au naturel.

So what if you're not a natural beauty? This is going to start a fight, but it seems like no guy is content with a passably attractive woman. Every guy wants a BEAUTIFUL woman, and is less than content with one who's not. and in the eyes of most, beauty is perfection.

Nobody says, "Oh, I like it when my gf doesn't wear makeup. I find her blotchy, unever skin tone, puffy eyes, and dry lips really hottt!"

But you all want a natural woman. As long as she's naturally BEAUTIFUL.

Let the decrying begin.

shimmer728
09-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by wordsmith
This is going to start a fight, but it seems like no guy is content with a passably attractive woman. Every guy wants a BEAUTIFUL woman, and is less than content with one who's not.

And you know which guys care most about having a perfect, beautiful supermodel type as a girlfriend? The guys who AREN'T THAT GOOD-LOOKING!!!!!

(or that smart, or that funny, or that nice......)

wordsmith
09-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I wasn't gonna say, but yeah.

It's the most UN underwear model guys who seem to think they need a superstar-looking girlfriend. Humph.

MetFanL
09-19-2004, 01:23 PM
EVERY guy says that natural beauty is better than make-up. But this fails to take into account that most women (there is a lucky minority, but it's just that, a minority) ARE NOT naturally stunning w/ out makeup. How many people are naturally BEAUTIFUL? Not naturally attractive, naturally good looking, naturally passable, naturally not that bad looking, but naturally beautiful? Not that many. Most women look like average, ordinary people, which is fine...but NOT, 99 times out of 100, stunningly beautiful when au naturel.

So what if you're not a natural beauty? This is going to start a fight, but it seems like no guy is content with a passably attractive woman. Every guy wants a BEAUTIFUL woman, and is less than content with one who's not. and in the eyes of most, beauty is perfection.

Nobody says, "Oh, I like it when my gf doesn't wear makeup. I find her blotchy, unever skin tone, puffy eyes, and dry lips really hottt!"

Let the decrying begin.

I'm with you, wordsmith. I wear makeup to work and almost everyday b/c I want to. I've had skin issues in the past and I don't mess around...

I have a sophisticated, pulled together look that just doesn't work without makeup. And, quite frankly, eye makeup SERIOUSLY enhances my piercing gray/blue/green eyes and turns up the intimidation factor -- which I absolutely use to my advantage.

pluie76
09-19-2004, 01:49 PM
And you know which guys care most about having a perfect, beautiful supermodel type as a girlfriend? The guys who AREN'T THAT GOOD-LOOKING!!!!!

So true!! This guy I dated freshman year in college wasn't that good looking, but he was a pretty nice guy with a good since of humor. Everything was good until his ego went completely out of check after all his pals on the soccer team were telling him what a hot girlfriend he had. Then he started thinking he was the shit and could get any girl he wanted. That would be when I dumped him. What a jerk!

Multiades
09-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi, I'm wordsmith, and I'll be your cynical bitch this a.m. (By the way, I DID have a good date last night, so it's not that).

Let the decrying begin. Good point.

How about this:

If he doesn't find you naturally beautiful, the makeup isn't going to change that.

Either both conditions are favorable, or neither is; you aren't beautiful with makeup but undesirable without. Hopefully whoever it is that you are dating finds you beautiful IN GENERAL, not conditionally with the appropriate face paint.

-Chris

gia
09-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen plenty of people who I don't think are attractive and one of my friends might or vice versa. Out of the billions of people on this earth, there are probably many who would think any particular woman is beautiful.

I think make-up is great if you really enjoy wearing it. However, in my opinoin, as far as the women I see, if there is no beauty there to begin with, the make-up isn't really going to help. You either have it or you don't. I agree with Chris.

wordsmith
09-19-2004, 08:43 PM
What I'm saying is, makeup can hide the flaws that stand in the way of perfection, i.e. beauty, in some cases.

and1grad
09-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Make-up? Hmm...i'm more of a T & A guy. :twisted:

shout out to wordsmith!! :twisted: ;)

wordsmith
09-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Hahahahahahahah!

Multiades
09-20-2004, 12:09 AM
What I'm saying is, makeup can hide the flaws that stand in the way of perfection, i.e. beauty, in some cases. Perhaps, but my personal preference in the case of someone I find beautiful is no makeup. That's the conditional I assumed when answering the topic question.

Makeup can be neat sometimes. I'll admit that there's a certain something to it's occasional use -- especially lipstick. Mmmm -- probably the naughty side of me that wants my face covered in marks... :D

and1grad -- LOL on the T&A :razz:

-Chris

kimmer23
09-20-2004, 08:31 AM
i totally agree with you wordsmith and shimmer. when i was trying to say the same thing i just got shot down.

i dont think you need TONS of makeup, but a little sure makes a difference. makeup also has many good benefits. i use a very sheer liquid makeup and it has spf 15 in it. my face was never burned the whole summer. also lipstick has spf as well.

and no i am not brainwashed. you must be brainwashed by thinking that someone doctored that britney spears photo with no makeup. she REALLY DOES look like that.

MOS9904
09-20-2004, 09:01 AM
I wear makeup daily...unless I am going tanning or to the beach.

What do I wear.....and how long does it take me to get ready....
5 minutes......it takes me 10 minutes if I want to really go glam for say a night of clubbing.

Under eye concealer----
Its yellow to hide the dark circles.....how do you put it on? Dab it along the area then take ring finger and smooth around...never caky.
Wear this because the circles really look gross to me, and make me look tired....

powder----
3 seconds to get on.....finishes the concealer...and evens my skin tone.

brown eye liner on inside bottom rim----
makes my eyes look bigger, and brings them to the front of my face so its the first thing you notice.

if I really go all out Ill sweep on some loose shadow and mascara.

As for the response about cost-----I dont buy anything from MAC, Sephora (though they have some nice stuff) or makeup counters at department stores.

The concealer is Maybalene, powder is Cover Girl, eye liner is some cheap soft pencil I found at CVS, and the ONLY thing I splurge on is Mascara at $15 a tube ONCE a year.....
Shadow is by Loreal and each tub (I have 4) was $6

Why do I wear the stuff-----because it finishes my look, makes me feel good and I do it for myself, not for anyone else!!

wordsmith
09-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by old_school_soul
Wow, it's weird reading some of these responses, some women seem to be absolutely brainwashed by Maybeline and Liz Clayborne. It seems some women have been brainwashed into thinking that they must wear makeup to be accepted by their peers. It seems that some women are compelled to coverup blemishes, zits, etc. It's almost to the point of it being sad. Men do so little to alter their appearance, maybe a hair cut and shave. It's amazing (and I don't think that it's necessarily a good thing) what women do to make themselve temporarily beautiful. Be happy who you are. What in the world is telling you that you have to wear all this crap? If your beauty washes away in the shower, then it was never beauty to begin with.

Dude, I already explained this in my earlier post. YES, to an extent, women are brainwashed into thinking that they have to appear flawless. Media images are poweful, and men buy into them, too. YES, it's to the point of being sad. YES, our beauty (if you're calling that flawlessness beauty) washes away in the shower. But it's because that kind of beauty is DEMANDED of us. WE might be happy with who we are. But that doesn't mean the rest of the world is satisfied with that, and we're only human. So we play the game.

kimmer23
09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
yeah we're so brainwashed because we wear a little mascara and tinted lip gloss! OH HELP ME!

we're not talking street walker makeup here!

wordsmith
09-20-2004, 09:41 AM
But, kimmer, I think feeling like you don't look good unless you're wearing something (even if it's just powder and mascara, not a full on drag queen face) IS brainwashing, to an extent. Can you honestly say you'd feel secure showing up at a formal event, say, in a makeup-free face? My guess is, for most women, sadly no. And that's because we ARE brainwashed, to an extent, that we need to look "pulled together" or "polished," and can't do that in our natural states.

NorthernAngel
09-20-2004, 10:25 AM
In sincerely believe that whatever makes you feel good / confidant / invincible when you walk out the door - is the best way for YOU.

If a gal feels like she can take on the world with a freshly-scrubbed face and nothing more - then be it.

On the other side if a woman prefers to add a little or a little more something to what she feels ups her appearance - then be it.

I don't believe either one is better than the other. If one decides to change to the other "view" because of the peer / society / media pressure - then that's a problem.

AxSweetxRevenge
09-20-2004, 10:46 AM
I have to say I agree with wordsmith.

I wear makeup. And I'm proud of it. I also believe I am a confident, self-assured and pretty woman. Makeup for me, only *enhances* the features I want to enhance. It's not to cover up or trying to become closer to "perfection" (LOL altho, I will cover up a zit or something that might pop up. Yes, call it vain but really who wants to look at a nasty zit!).

Does anyone find it funny that this issue is really most prevelent in the U.S.?

kimmer23
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
oh yeah i totally agree that its brainwashing, but its MINIMAL

wordsmith
09-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Or just insidious enough that we don't even notice it. :(

kimmer23
09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
sorry my work computer freak out on me...

regardless, this in kind of a dumb topic. there are people out there with real problems---i am sure those people would love to ponder whether makeup is brainwashing or not!

and1grad
09-20-2004, 12:29 PM
I forget, maybe b/c it so far back in the thread and i'm too lazy to go back, but what exactly is the problem with women wearing makeup?

Brainwashing? You mean drinking this beer wont make all the ladies love me...aaaannnnddddd TWWIIINNNNSSS!?!?

cazort
09-20-2004, 01:15 PM
...But this fails to take into account that most women (there is a lucky minority, but it's just that, a minority) ARE NOT naturally stunning w/ out makeup. How many people are naturally BEAUTIFUL?

I think that most women are naturally beautiful. Definitely over half. Of course, I don't buy into the fact that you have to fit a narrow mold of beauty. But really, who does? Only the people who are either too stupid, or who just blindly accept everything the media tells them.

There are so many different body types, hair colours, complexions that can be beautiful. You don't need to be super thin or have perfect skin to be beautiful. You just need to look fairly healthy and have positive, optimistic body language. Really, I think attitude is 90% of beauty. Why is it that everyone talks so much about people who have a nice smile, or a sexy walk, or something like that?

cazort
09-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by MetFanL
And, quite frankly, eye makeup SERIOUSLY enhances my piercing gray/blue/green eyes and turns up the intimidation factor -- which I absolutely use to my advantage.

I actually agree with that one...if you want, makeup can be quite effectively used to make someone look intimidating. I guess I just don't find the "intimidating" thing attractive. :-)

BTW I've seen guys wear eye makeup sparingly to acheive that "intimidation" factor.

Skyblade
09-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I don't think I could ever look intimidating no matter how much make-up I had on. I'm just not the intimidating type. :twisted:

wordsmith
09-20-2004, 01:32 PM

I think that most women are naturally beautiful. Definitely over half. Of course, I don't buy into the fact that you have to fit a narrow mold of beauty. But really, who does? Only the people who are either too stupid, or who just blindly accept everything the media tells them.

There are so many different body types, hair colours, complexions that can be beautiful. You don't need to be super thin or have perfect skin to be beautiful. You just need to look fairly healthy and have positive, optimistic body language. Really, I think attitude is 90% of beauty. Why is it that everyone talks so much about people who have a nice smile, or a sexy walk, or something like that?

That's awesome. But you are sadly in the minority. I am, too. Sigh.

pisces2473
09-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Let me turn this around...why are guys obsessed with their cars, their penis size, and boobs?

kimmer23
09-20-2004, 04:01 PM
because you can always buy better cars, boobs and penises! haha! just kidding...well actually it is true!

anaphora
09-20-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm not obsessed with any of those three things.

kimmer23
09-20-2004, 04:35 PM
i am!!

just kidding again!

gluegun
09-20-2004, 04:51 PM
This thread just keeps growing exponentially, and I don't have enough time to read the entire thing. However, that isn't going to stop me from putting in my two sense.

I wear make-up because I like the way that I look with it on. It makes me feel more confident. I don't glob it on like some crazy person, but a little bit of mascara or lip gloss goes a long way.

Catalitical
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by gluegun
This thread just keeps growing exponentially, and I don't have enough time to read the entire thing. However, that isn't going to stop me from putting in my two sense.

I wear make-up because I like the way that I look with it on. It makes me feel more confident. I don't glob it on like some crazy person, but a little bit of mascara or lip gloss goes a long way.

I agree with everything gluegun said!!!

I don't wear makeup in layers like some women I see in Boston who look like they just walked offstage somewhere and forgot to wipe their faces. I mean it, I've seen it that bad! I don't wear makeup to have a different skin color (i.e., fake bake face), and I certainly don't believe that I should coat my entire face in makeup in order to appear flawless or to have an even skin tone. For the most part, people are flawed and have uneven skin tones! Not to mention the fact that I'm so pale I'm translucent, so lots of makeup on me would look silly.

When I wear makeup to work, I usually put some concealer under my eyes because my monster cats pounce on my head at 5:00 AM to get me to feed them and I'd rather cover the worst of the dark circles than look like the walking dead. I put on some very modest eye shadow, or I'll put on a more noticeble color (like pink, or silver) but use it sparingly so that it's a highlight, not a focus. I put on mascara because otherwise it looks like I have no eyelashes, and I put on lip gloss/chap stick because my lips are always chapped. Add a little powder on my nose to take away the shine and that's it. All told, we're talking 15 minutes if I get distracted somehow, and usually I do everything after concealer at the office.

If I go out, I might make my eyes more dramatic or put on lipstick or colored gloss, but that's it.

bigboom
09-21-2004, 09:55 AM
i'm only obsessed with my car...boobs i dont even like big boobs, my preferred boob size is a B. why do you think people call useless people "tits" :) jk

the butter face syndrome is what i worry about...JK

but seriously, its all good, makeup, no make up, its all good. dont be hatin either way. sometimes makeup is required for social events, when you go to a party and everyone is all made up and stuff how would a girl feel with no make up on? pretty left out. but at the same time if a girl goes to play soccer or something all made up she'll feel pretty dumb too. its all based on circumstances. so u know what sometimes we as society force women into things that they dont want to do but do for us pigheaded men. which is probably where makeup started form anyways, trying to look more attractive to men. im gonna shut my mouth before guys start hating on me :)

WeirdBrake
09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
.why are guys obsessed with their cars, their penis size, and boobs?

My penis size? No obsession there. I'm completely secure in my package. Y'all know us Jews have the longest weinersteins!

wordsmith
09-21-2004, 10:20 AM
*snorts coffee over press releases*

Can you PUH-LEEEEZ make "Completely secure in my package" your sig line???? Pleeeeeeeease?

Or at least put "weinerstein" in your location?

WeirdBrake
09-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Are you officially moving to change my signature line to "Completely secure in my package"?

wordsmith
09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, please.

WeirdBrake
09-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Motion denied. :p

I'm at least going to PRETEND that WB still has some dignity.

You have 40 days to appeal the denial of your motion.

wordsmith
09-21-2004, 10:35 AM
You're considerably less brazen than I give you credit for. :p

wordsmith
09-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Ya big weinerstein.

WeirdBrake
09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Is that the sole argument in your appellate brief? Wow, you better hope you do better on oral.

Oral argument, that is. What did you think I meant?

bigboom
09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by WeirdBrake
Is that the sole argument in your appellate brief? Wow, you better hope you do better on oral.

Oral argument, that is. What did you think I meant?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! sorry...i just spit yogurt all over my monitor. ;)

Skyblade
09-21-2004, 10:48 AM
eww

bigboom
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Skyblade
eww

crap did i just say spit?

shimmer728
09-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by WeirdBrake
I'm at least going to PRETEND that WB still has some dignity.

Since when? ;)

stonemonkey
09-21-2004, 07:03 PM
is it just me? or are there now 2 separate threads on 'weinersteins' now?