PDA

View Full Version : Atkins

tina1979
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm sure that there have probably been a few threads about this but I am gonna ask anyway.
My roommate and I are going to go on ATkins. I've done it before, but failed miserably for a variety of reasons. The two most important.....
1) I was the only one doing it and had to cook for my husband who could eat a whole pig and still not gain a pound. It sucked watching him eat whatever and tease me about it.
2)I LOVE pasta!! My downfall, truly is pasta. For the most part I can live without bread/rolls, but pasta...thats a bit tricky

Has anyone done this,or known anyone who has done it? Did it work? Any tips or hints would be much appreciated.

heatherf
12-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Keep some essentials around all the time:

1) Protein Low Carb Shakes- the EAS kind or whatever. Have one for breakfast and an egg
2) Celery Sticks- great snack
3) Low Carb Yogurt- so you don't feel like you can't have any dairy (besides cheese)
4) Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas

Keep the George Foreman out on the coutertop ALL THE TIME.

Eat tons of veggies and chicken.

When I did low carb my meals were this:

Breakfast:
Low Carb Shake, and an egg or two scrambled.

Lunch: Tortilla with Chicken Breast lunch meat, a slice of cheese, and lettuce- and some sort of sauce- like a taco bell sauce packet. Low Carb yogurt mixed with some cottage cheese

Snack: Celery Sticks- String Cheese

Dinner: Grilled chicken and veggies

OR buy the new Life Chioce TV dinners- kinda pricey but the easy way to do low carb.

It all my sound bland- but the first couple days are the most difficult and then it gets MUCH easier. I always tried to stick to Low Carb, Low Calorie, and Low Fat. I wouldn't eat a ton or beef or pork. Get salads as much as possible.

paiger81
12-01-2004, 11:41 AM
My advice is talk with your doctor first. I was going to go on Atkins, but when I talked with my doc, he said that with my family history the Atkins diet was not the best diet for me. He recommended South Beach-I've lost 30 pounds on that-then got stuck in a plateau.

Ended up getting a personal trainer, who got a dietician to write a newer meal plan/grocery list for me-which I had approved by my doc (1300 calories:eek: ) but I've gotten off the plateau and lost another 5 pounds.

Talk with your doc first.:)

Tayl405
12-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Don't do it!!!! Don't do it!!! It's so unhealthy it's ridiculous! All you're going to do is clog your arteries. You might lose a few pounds temporarily, but you'll gain it back, and all you'll do is screw up your metabolism. Just eat healthfully, PLEASE. Eat a balanced diet (protein, VEGGIES, complex carbs such as whole wheat bread and pasta, calcium, mix it all up). And exercise! Even just a half hour a few times a week. Please don't do Atkins--you're just asking for a heart attack at an early age. And if weight is the issue, you're going to gain it back anyway, unless you stay on the diet your whole life, which I've already stressed is just begging for serious health issues.

Can you tell I hate Atkins?

bigboom
12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Tayl405
Don't do it!!!! Don't do it!!! It's so unhealthy it's ridiculous! All you're going to do is clog your arteries. You might lose a few pounds temporarily, but you'll gain it back, and all you'll do is screw up your metabolism. Just eat healthfully, PLEASE. Eat a balanced diet (protein, VEGGIES, complex carbs such as whole wheat bread and pasta, calcium, mix it all up). And exercise! Even just a half hour a few times a week. Please don't do Atkins--you're just asking for a heart attack at an early age. And if weight is the issue, you're going to gain it back anyway, unless you stay on the diet your whole life, which I've already stressed is just begging for serious health issues.

Can you tell I hate Atkins?

i completely agree...the weight may be dropped but think of what is happening to your arteries and overall health.

paiger81
12-01-2004, 12:14 PM
I just wanted to add on that I agree that Atkins is not the healthiest out there. Plus it claims you lose weight extremely quickly, which is not healthy at all. You should only lose 1-2 pounds a week in order for weight loss to be healthy.

heatherf
12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
I think people are misinformed (for the most part) about Atkins. One does NOT need to eat only red meat, cream, and butter on Atkins.

tina1979
12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
I am definately not disagreeing with the fact that its probably not the most healthy way to do it. Heres the thing: It is about weight loss, but my problem isn't keeping weight off, its getting rid of it in the first place. Once its gone I usually don't have a problem with keeping it off. This is all weight I gained after my baby and due to stress and self image problems never lost it. Its time to lose it. I am definately going to be working out. I don't have a problem doing that once I get out there and start doing it.
The last time I went to the doctor for weightloss he gave me a perscription for the half of phen phen that wasn't banned (I can't remember which one). Worked too...I just couldn't afford to stay on it.
I have approx 42 lbs to go before I am where I want to be (which just happened to be the same weight the guy at the gym said I should be.)
Its just aggrivating trying to find something. I know "fad diets" aren't exactly the best thing in the world. Trust me ya'll even if I actually do this diet. I promise I won't stick to it 100%, but it will definately make me more conscience of what I am putting in my mouth.

winneythepooh7
12-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I've done Atkins after college and lost the weight I put on from my nights out in the bar. It was hard though, boring, and in my opinion, very expensive. It was difficult to buy all that meat all the time. I think that the healthiest thing to do is bring food from home (ie. salad, fresh fruit, grains, soup, etc.) and go to the gym for one hour at least 3-4 times per week. You lose the weight slower but I still think this is the most healthiest way and you feel good going to the gym. I know some people aren't gym people and I am not either and the days I don't go, I try to get some form of exercise in, such as taking my dog for a walk for an hour. Also I know this is obvious but avoid all fast food. This is the absolute worst and there are like 5000 calories in those extra value meals. I felt tired and grumpy all the time I was on Atkins.

labrat2111
12-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Well if you do go on Atkins just remember to drink lots and lots of water or other fluids. In my night bio class our teacher was explaining how your body is forced to use amino acids for cellular respiration (energy production) and how the first thing it has to do is cleave off the amine groups which get converted to ammonia and eventually urea but regardless this stuff can do a number on your kidneys if you don't drink enough water or you already have kidney issues.

winneythepooh: Well you were probably tired because of the lack of carbs -- basically atkins forces your body to derive its energy from broken down proteins or fats instead of glucose like nature intended. Without the carbs you basically have an energy shortage.

GetMeOuttaDC
12-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Tina, no offense, but I think you are too thin for Atkins. (I've seen your pic, with your cute little daughter. :) ) I have heard it is only for people who really need to lose a lot of wiehgt, ie 20 + lbs. I am gonna side with the "do everything in moderation instead" camp.

tina1979
12-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by GetMeOuttaDC
Tina, no offense, but I think you are too thin for Atkins. (I've seen your pic, with your cute little daughter. :) ) I have heard it is only for people who really need to lose a lot of wiehgt, ie 20 + lbs. I am gonna side with the "do everything in moderation instead" camp.

Trust me no offense could be taken by telling me I'm too thin :D
I do however have 20+ punds to lose. I have about 40.

Thank you for the comment on my daughter, shes my angel :D

I really don't think I am going to do well on this diet simply because I love pasta too much, but my friend really wants to do it, and I know she needs the support so I am gonna do it. I know myself well enough that I know I will most likely cheat. But I will definately be watching what I eat, which is better than what I have been doing.

Labrat- I have a bottle of water on my desk right now. :)

GetMeOuttaDC
12-01-2004, 03:43 PM
tina, try low-gluten pasta. it is so disgusting you will NEVER want to touch any kind of pasta again.

tina1979
12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by GetMeOuttaDC
tina, try low-gluten pasta. it is so disgusting you will NEVER want to touch any kind of pasta again.
LOL!! I may have too!

paiger81
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
I actually LOVE whole wheat pasta. Hogsdon Mills makes yummy stuff.

Tayl405
12-01-2004, 04:01 PM
I love whole wheat pasta too--I like it with a little parmesan cheese, maybe some shrimp.

wordsmith
12-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Tina, the cardinal rule of dieting is to remember that totally cutting out foods you truly love rarely makes for a successful experience. The deprivation factor makes it too psychologically hard. The key is gradual lifestyle change...easing yourself into different, better eating and exercising patterns. Not saying, "I love (fill in the blank), but I have to quit eating it, cold turkey, now."

tina1979
12-01-2004, 08:34 PM
agreed. I will definately drink enough water to float a boat, and I will cut out carbs as much as i can, but I will try to just be more mindful of what I am eating and start working out too

labrat2111
12-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Well good luck on losing weight. I'm trying to do the same thing. I know I have to be more active but partially that's due to knee problems and the cold weather but I'll get out for some more walks soon. I need to lose about 10-15 pounds. I guess I"m just going to work on eating smarter and cutting out my snacking which is killing me. I eat when I'm bored and I seem to be bored a lot lately.

tina1979
12-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by labrat2111
Well good luck on losing weight. I'm trying to do the same thing. I know I have to be more active but partially that's due to knee problems and the cold weather but I'll get out for some more walks soon. I need to lose about 10-15 pounds. I guess I"m just going to work on eating smarter and cutting out my snacking which is killing me. I eat when I'm bored and I seem to be bored a lot lately.
Thank you. Good luck to you too!
I have a habit of eating when I am bored too! I pretty much fixed that during the week by taking a drink to work and leaving vending machine change at home. Can't buy chips or candy bars if you don't have the change to do it. :D

AnnaBanana
12-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Glad I found this thread -- I'm been trying low-carb diets but once I started exercising again I found that low-carb didn't give me enough energy...suggestions?