PDA

View Full Version : Big X-Mas gift

natbumpo
12-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Hypothetical situation.

A guy, let's call him, oh, Nat has been in a relationship with a girl for about 4 months. She keeps mentioning that she and Nat have not gone anywhere together because she is a huge traveler (not insinuating that he pay for them both, but just as a matter of fact).

She is a huge golfer, so for x-mas he buys her a 4-day, 3-night vaca to Scotland to play golf at St. Andrews in March (note - this is kind of a x-mas/b-day gift as her b-day is mid-January. He'll get her something for her b-day, but not extravagant).
Now he's bought the gift and is wondering if it was too much and do you think she'll be freaked out.

Remember, this is not me, it's uh, a friend...yeah, that's

LakeJay
12-01-2004, 04:49 PM
I guess the question is...do you think she will be freaked out? You definitely know where these "two people" are in "their" relationship better than any of us.

Aside from that, great gift. I think it was very thoughtful and it says a lot about how "this friend" feels about "his" relationship with her.

maxwell78
12-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Good Lord! Where in the world do you work that you can afford a trip like that? Wherever it is, I think I found my new career there! haha.

natbumpo
12-01-2004, 04:52 PM
I don't make a ton (ok, but certianly not swimming in it), but I am very good with my $ (stocks, funds, etc) and never, do things like this, but I have pretty strong feelings for her.

I mean, not me, Nat, my friend, of course.

heatherf
12-01-2004, 05:15 PM
My honest thoughts? 4 day / 3 night- she's not going to be there very long and she'll have jetlag really bad.

:(

Ask Crimson King on here, he just went to St. Andrews for golf this past summer.

wordsmith
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Heather's right, in that that's barely enough time to adjust to the time difference and start feeling in your element.

But kickass present. I might or might not be overwhelmed by it, depending on other factors. Tough call. But wow, nice thought!

gluegun
12-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Wow, if she feels as strongly as you do (and she probably does ) then she will LOVE it! This could be the beginning of a life long relationship. Good for you for starting it off with a bang!

bostongirl
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
What an awesome gift... :) The perfect thing for someone who loves golf and travel! I'd say go for it- you only live once and its making the bold statements when you really feel that you like someone that are worth the risk (not talking money, its the other risks I'm talking about). Aside from the golf, I find the town and the coastline there to be beautiful in a really haunting way...it can be a pretty romantic place too! Might be a bit cold in March though... the wind REALLY comes through there... I've been there in both July and November... I have this memory of trying to play a round of golf (on one of the little courses by the Old Course- I'm an abysmal golfer!) with about 4 layers of clothing on because it was so windy and cold! Ahhh memories... June would probably be a good time to go due to the REALLY long days there at that time of year...

With jetlag, you just kind of have to decide to get through it... :) If she travels a lot though, I'm sure she's developed a strategy! The old advice to just immediately change to the local time no matter how painful (no naps, just stay up until 10 or 11pm the first night) usually works for me. With short trips I always just figure I'll catch up on my sleep at home later... :)