PDA

View Full Version : The self help movement

teebes
12-07-2004, 09:25 AM
So... how many of you read those? have you found any to be particularly helpful?

I think I'm overall slightly frustrated with them. Most promise the most extraordinary changes, and when I read them they make me feel slightly better for maybe a week, and then I usually end up back to square one.

So yeah, I'm curious as to who here has found them to be really helpful, and which ones in particular!

Sagiquarius
12-07-2004, 11:20 AM
I've bought a bunch of self-help books and not one of them has helped yet. My problem with them is the people who write them. I can't help but think "who are they to tell me how to live my life...what makes them such experts?" That and the fact that they all have their little languages attached to them. I don't know, a lot of them (I'm looking at you Dr. Phil) just seem completely full of hot air.

One book I'm reading now is called The Power of Now. It's all about spiritual enlightenment, and living in the present instead of saying "well when I get this or that I'll be happy".

I like it because it tells everything in plain language. It doesn't strive to teach you anything you don't already know. All of its lessons are ones that you know, but don't recognize in everyday life. It's written by a guy named Eckhart Tolle, check it out.

Has it changed my life? Not just yet. But it has given me some interesting prospectives.

Skyblade
12-07-2004, 11:37 AM
I think that books that promise to change your life is a little unrealistic.
I have read self-help books, for the most part they have helped me (not in life-changing ways necessarily) but have helped me see a different point of view, a more positive one (since I tend to be a pretty negative person sometimes).

hopeless
12-07-2004, 01:04 PM
I think self-help books all repetitive in what they say or word it in a different way. Plus it's also a way to get money from consumers, which is why I don't touch them. Has anyone heard of Anthony Robbins "Get the Edge" program?

labrat2111
12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Well I've bought a few but the only one I think has really helped is a book I got on Anxiety/Panic Disorders (I forget the exact title) by a guy named Bourne. I think the book has been quiet helpful. It provides a good overview or the subject matters with lots of references and a good practical approach to trying to improve and reduce your anxiety and panic attacks. I just need to get back to it and start rereading it and following the exercises again as I'm kind of bummed with the short days and no social life.

pisces2473
12-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Yes, labrat, that is a great book.

Starfish81
12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
When I worked at a bookstore, I sold a whole lot of self help books to customers, including Power of Now, something about Your Life Is Calling, and various Dr. Phils. People seem to like them, and they keep buying more. Especially that Dr. Phil. Whoa, does he have a following.

Personally, I like reading the qlc boards better. I found the site last week, and already I feel great, like I'm not the only one out there thinking these things. Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy the books that are taking over my room. But the qlc boards are fun. And it's free!

GetMeOuttaDC
12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
self help books make me neurotic - I have tried them to help solve/deal with/mediate some family problems and I think I ended up trying to see stuff that wasn't actually there.

friends and boards like this are better.

WeirdBrake
12-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Personally, I like reading the qlc boards better. I found the site last week, and already I feel great, like I'm not the only one out there thinking these things. Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy the books that are taking over my room. But the qlc boards are fun. And it's free!

Aint that the truth!! :)

maxwell78
12-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Starfish81
And it's free!
I'm sure WB would be more than willing to take tips though. :D

Desiderata
12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by maxwell78

I'm sure WB would be more than willing to take tips though. :D

You mean bribes, right?