PDA

View Full Version : Still living with parents!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
08-31-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm 24, and I still live with my parents. Do you think thats a problem? Someone give me thier insight on this.

Phoenix
08-31-2002, 03:30 PM
If it's a problem then include me as well. I'm still living w/ my parents. But I don't see anything wrong w/ it...after losing my job last year and being unemployed for 6 months, only finding temp work for 4 after than, and finally just getting a real job a couple of months ago, it's been a financial struggle. They've played a big part in helping me be financially stable while I get on my feet.

manicmonkie
08-31-2002, 03:30 PM
My first question for you would be, "do you have any plans for the future?" If so, what are they and what are you doing to achieve them? If you need the support of your parents, it's okay. You should worry if you lose all direction and have no plans for your life. Think about what you want your life to be like, and try and work towards that ideal. Start with that, and post your reply. Hope this helps. Aaron.

pisces2473
08-31-2002, 04:29 PM
I think it depends what you are doing that determines whether or not living with your parents is a problem. My brother (he's 20) still lives at home, has no job, doesn't go to school, etc. My parents are frustrated with him for his lack of motiviation and lack of desire to do SOMETHING with his life. He has had problems with severe depression, and he lets that take over his life, deciding what he will do. (On the other hand, I went away to college, graduated, and now am at grad school, living in an apartment w/ a roommate.)

I know people who are in their mid-20's and still live at home, but work full-time jobs or go to grad school (or both) and just need to have that safety net for the time being, because rent in their areas are too expensive, or they have big student loans to pay off, etc.

What is your life like? If you are just sitting around at home, doing nothing with your life, then living at home may be hindering your progress. If you are living a full life, then don't worry so much about living at home. Things will work out.

By the way, are you being pressured from anyone about living at home still? Just curious.

Good luck! :)

aldwin26
08-31-2002, 06:37 PM
Well, it depends on your situation at home. If you are feeling a lot of pressure from your parents or anybody at home, then you may want to think about a strategy on how are you going to deal it with. I went away back in 1999 and pursuse college that I did not finish, I went back to my dads' after quitting a job that made me miserable. And I am 26 ! I am going back out there and finish college in the next three months. But being home while I am unemployed does really helps a lot.

sassy
10-30-2002, 05:12 PM
I still live with my parents and I am 26 years old. I just got layed off in July. I can't find a job so I don't have a choice right now. Plus, I can't afford rent here it is so expensive.

crazy-girl
10-31-2002, 11:06 AM
I don't think it's a problem if you financially could not live on your own as many people on this thread are saying is the case.

However, I have a friend who's 27 and makes close to $50,000 a year in a relatively cheap area to live and still lives at home. I think that's sort of weird mainly becuase there's no reason for her not to branch out and become her own adult and create her own home. She has a good secure job, money and many potential roommates.

So if you're staying there because of laziness or fear of the "real world" you should bite the bullet and move out. But if you're helping a sick parent or saving money----it's very smart to stay home. You have to look at the reasons why.

lioness524
11-05-2002, 04:02 PM
I'm 23 and still living at home, if I was making $30,000 a year I'd be out in a flash. I'm still in school, taking Iowa Weselyan night classes at SCC and working at a steakhouse here in town. It sucks though, I'm poor and am working to get extra cash to pay for school, books, bills, and my car repairs, I really need a tune-up, oil change, and need to fix an oil leak in my old Dodge. God send me a mechanic to do this all for free :)

absolute zero
11-24-2002, 04:57 AM
I graduated in 2001 w/a B.S. in Computer Engineering. The tech sector has really been hit hard by the weak economy. My grades are not competitive and my work experience is not that extensive. I held the crappiest job in summer 2002 (blue-collar/factory work, machine operation and data entry, really unstable workplace, employees are treated like $hit and I wasn't earning much either). I quit just before fall to explore my options/take some courses at college.

I'm thinking of going back to school and getting an AAS degree in a different field. I live in New York City so the rent is ridiculous. I have more than 15K in student loans and I need to save up money for the next 2 years of school (I'm also looking for part time work). So at the moment, getting my own place is financially ill-advised and completely out of the question.

It's your parents' responsibility to be there for you, that's what they get for not using birth control. I think as long as you're a good kid, obey them and try your best (at studying/work), they should support you in your time of need, they know I'd do the same for them. In fact, in some cultures, you're supposed to live at home until you get married (not that i'm advocating this).

Most of my friends still live at home, some are pursuing further schooling or different course of study. I predict I'll live at home until I'm 27.

aldwin26
12-01-2002, 02:21 AM
Have ypu tried getting a certification course like Paralegal? THe job pays pretty well as long as you have a B.S. and certificate, though most requires experience but you'll also find many would rather hire newbies fresh out of college. Just a thought that you might be interested with.

Veruca
12-02-2002, 01:48 PM
I've been looking into maybe getting a paralegal certificate and I have heard that you should only get one from an ABA certified school. The only ABA ones in my area are from technical schools and I am weary of how good of a program it would be and the cost because I am already in a good amount of debt due to school loans and credit cards. I think being a paralegal would be a good career for me because I originally got a BA degree in Economics/Business but after being out of school for a year and searching for jobs now, I really feel like the corporate business world isn't for me. Any input on your paralegal education would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

aldwin26
12-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Attending an ABA-Approved Paralegal School is a "plus", oh yeah been there and done that. Paralegal school is not as prestige as Law School, meaning it does not matter where you get your certificate as long as it is accredited. I know that in many schools they have a three month or less programs in Paralegal Certificate for degree holders.

Being done in College does not always mean you will find treasure when you go out and look for jobs. I met someone this past summer that got a law degree from Loyola Law in Los Angeles in 1999 and he is barely making it, he's got no home of his own, not a car, not a thing but himself and he's ex girl where he lives with now. Just open up your options and take advantage of your college degree, also, if you want to do Paralegal make sure it's really what you want to do. Hope I helped you.

Rederin
12-04-2002, 06:08 PM
I work at a university in the Continuing Education field, and we used to offer a certificate program for entry-level paralegals. The classes were strictly professional development, meaning not for college credit. It might be different in your part of the country, but here, our graduates seemed to do ok. It seems more important for them to have a grasp of the knowledge. In fact, most of our students worked as paralegals or legal secretarys upon entering the program. However, I think the profession is undergoing a bit of a shift. It now seems to be preferable for paralegals to have more formal education. We stopped offering our non-credit courses b/c the local state college began offering an associates degree. You might want to get in touch with paralegals in your area to find out specifics. Also, there are several certifications paralegals can receive, and some of these are career boosters. Good luck!

skredberry
04-08-2004, 02:51 PM
I think living at home is a problem if you are not actively seeking employment and contributing to the household.

I currently have a brother, who is 28 years old, graduated from a very expensive school and has no interest whatsover in helping around the house or looking for a job. He does not pay rent and does not go anywhere. My other brother and I are extremely resentful of him for many reasons.

We look at it as a comparison judgement. When I was 23, I lived in a rented trailer with a roommate and worked 3 jobs to pay the bills, plus went to school. You learn how to network to do things like get your car fixed, etc. If you can clear $20k/yr, there's a way to live fairly comfortably. I managed on a lot less than that.

My father was recently laid off and my brother continues to live at home, rent free without paying for groceries or utilities. Being that he will soon be the same age as I was when I bought my first house, I find it inexcusable that he is doing this, especially given the fact that my father supports the household. In this situation, I would feel obligated, if it were me, to step up and provide some sort of financial help to the household, no matter how little it is.

I think it depends on the situation and how long you plan on staying. I find 6-7 years to be in excess and know that it has also taken a financial toll on my parents, who would like to downsize and plan for retirement. My father is 2 years away from retirement age but cannot retire because of the "responsibility" he has living under his roof.

Personally, I have too much pride to allow myself to move back to my parents' home. It would have to be a desperate and dire situation for me to do so. I find it difficult to understand why it is so easy for some people to do.

I would hope that for those of you living at home that you do try to see your parents' point of view on this. My brother has caused a huge rift in the family because of his inaction in finding a job. I will also not allow my son to visit because I think it sets a bad example, and I personally want to see my child succeed in life.

Good luck on your job searches and please don't turn into my brother.

pittgirl
04-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Redberry, I can totally sympathize with you and your one brother who is 28. My brother who is also 28, still lives at home and makes no contributions to the household what so ever, where I do. I am only living at home because I am still in school, working part time and would not be able to afford to live on my own. Him on the other hand, he has a great job and can afford to live on his own, but won't because truthfully he is to lazy.
He does no housework, no rent nothing, where I do all the chorse I can to help my parents and give my parents a little extra money for my "living" expenses. It is very frustrating though, because he is selfish and takes advantage of every oppurtunity he can get. Also he does not do his own laundry!!! HOw sad is that? So I can sympathize with you and your other brother.

Winter Storm
04-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I will be moving out on my own for the first time in 2 weeks and I am 26 years old. Because I was paying for my own college and cars, it just wasn't financially feasible for me to do it in my early twenties, especially when you making under 20k.

I got my post-college job in fall of 2002, but I was constantly worried about being laid off (as there were several depts. fazed out), so I waited until I felt my job was more secure. Waiting enabled me to save out thousands of dollars too.

Don't beat yourself up about it (like I did), moving out at 18 or 20, just doesn't work for everybody.

If it makes you feel better, most of my friends also still live at home and their ages range from 23-27 and they're still in school as well.

girlwquestions
04-21-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by lioness524
I'm 23 and still living at home, if I was making $30,000 a year I'd be out in a flash.

When I read that line, I just laughed, because I'd do the same thing: in a flash! I'd be out of there!!! I'm still living in the dorms now but I will be moving back home after I graduate. I'm 21 now, but once I get a fulltime job, I'm out. Oh by the way, every time I say I want to move out, I have to tell people that I love my family. It's true, I just can't live with them. I need my own place and independence.

cellar
04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm young, but there's no prob to me! I mean, it depends on your situation, and reasons for it, as siad before.

From what I've heard is sometimes those who live at home, are the ones who have their stuff more together! They're doing it to save $, travel more...of course it depends on where you live. If you live in a city with crazy residential prices, it seems to be moren more the norm.

I know a few who moved out when they were young just for the independence, then moved back!

lioness524
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
You know its been over a year since I wrote that post!! I still have that same philosophy but will be OUTTA there next spring/summer when I finally get my degree.... I no longer have my Dodge though....

girlwquestions
04-21-2004, 06:11 PM
omg...if you didn't mention that it's been over a year, I wouldn't even notice it. Damn....these posts are old! But I'm sure that there will be more posters and newer posts from now on, because QLC is catching on!

Gregarious
04-25-2004, 04:58 AM
With how bad the economy is and how worthless my degree is right now (Telecom), I'm completely baffled about what to do for a job. I'd like to get some kind of job with the government, but even that's being scaled back. I haven't even looked for a job since I was layed off of customer service work last Oct. There's no way I'm going back to school - I don't want to end up paying all that money and doing all that work to not find a job again.

I'm 28 and live at home right now. I say more power to you if you can get away with it. Sleeping downstairs near the washing machine can be bad, but if you get along with your parents and are no burden, what difference does it make where you live? My dad worked for the state and has been retired for awhile, so his pension makes sure we are all taken care of.

wordsmith
07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
My younger brother is 25 and is living at home...he sends resume after resume to a wide range of jobs, and the most he's been able to even get an interview for was selling phone systems door to door. But he's trying, and in the meantime, he's offering my parents invaluable help with the family business. Doesn't mean it's always roses, but it's his most viable option right now.

I don't think a situation like that is a problem. I think it's only a problem if a person is using it as crashpad or crutch, and not a necessary means to get on your feet professionally. I also think that people who live rent free and do nothing to contribute, monitarily or how ever else they are able, ought to be shown the door. I also think it depends on whether or not you get along with your parents, whether or not it's a good idea.

Layback
07-16-2004, 04:19 PM
I just did a phone campaign for my 10-year high school reunion. Almost half of my class was still at home with their parents. You are totally normal.

silverkitten62
07-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I lost my job in February and tried hard to find a job in the area I was living, but couldn't find one soon enough to pay all the bills.

I'm living with my parents now to save some money and get rid of my debts. My parents live in another state now, so it doesn't exactly feel like moving back home, but I'm still living with them nontheless.

I get depressed about it now and then, but I sat down with them and worked out a plan for my future. As long as I'm making progress on that plan then I feel better about it. I know that it is temporary.

I pay 300 dollars a month in rent, which is a good deal because it includes utilities and food. My parents were nice enough to help me pay off my high interest debts and put them under their home equity loan. My dad asked me to put 250 a month towards it, but I'm living extremely frugally and putting twice that so I can get it paid off in a year and go back to school.

I think I'd be much more depressed if I was staying home with no plans for the future and without a deadline for leaving.

I say, make future plan, contribute to the household, if you can't contribute money than do housework or other things that are helpful. I also agree with what someone else said about understanding your parents perspective too. For a while I was moping around and being really crabby and not fun to live with because I hated where I was in life. I had no idea how my attitude was effecting my parents. I'm trying much harder now to be happy with what I have, which is a family that loves me and is helping me get back on my feet.

Just think of it as temporary.

who knows???
07-16-2004, 11:34 PM
I didn't notice how old this post is either until someone mentioned it. I just turned 24 and guess what, no full time job still my part-time job from out of high school, still at home! I'm looking. I have my name out at temps. I'm planning on taking the postal exam.

I'm concerned about one thing though, I feel I have no direction either. I went out on a whim for my degree and I got robbed, not because of the job market, but because of the school. Now, I'm lost to what to do. The job market is still not up to speed. I'm so ticked and a little depressed I kind of hope it stays that way. Nothing personal to those who want to move on. I never pictured myself this old and not having full time work. It seems everyone around me can get jobs or has plans, but I don't. Any suggestions? Are career counselors helpful? I would go for a second bachelors or masters, but I don't know what I want to do. I hate this economy. I want a nice simple factory job! Yeah, I know, go overseas.

pittgirl
07-19-2004, 01:58 AM
who-knows...hang in there it gets better I promise, I am a prime example of that. I am 23 and still living at home, but I am moving out in August, after 4 years of living at home. I am just now finally graduating (just an Associate's but that is still something) and going back to school in the spring to get my BA.
I used to complain all the time how miserable it was to live at home, when I knew of people who were out on there own barely making ends meet. However though, I do know people to who live at home and are way more indepedant than people who live on their own. Like silverkitten said, set up some guidelines with your parents and go from there. So when you do move out, you won't feel totally swamped with all those bills and everything else.
The job market does suck, I am still working part time at my job because I can't be moved up the full time. Be grateful you have a job, I think not having a job would suck worse than not having one. Try making connections and networking with everyone and anyone for a job in your field. You said your not sure about going back for a degree, ever consider a certificate in something else, they are usually pretty short and few classes to take.

who knows???
07-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks Pittgirl for the kind words. :) It's nice to know people my age are in the same boat, but it sounds like you're in a little bit better position than I am. I'm not really ashamed to be living with my parents, but the lack of a full time job is what gets me. The people at work kind of give me the look of why am I still here? I'm starting to take different approaches to job hunting and discover what it is I want to do, which is what I should have done years ago. Part of the problem with the certificates is, again, deciding what I want to persue. Some types of certificates can get you a job, others are only there to enhance a person in certain fields. Unfortunatly, I have no connections for networking. Hopefully, in a year I will have a much better grasp on what I can do and will be persuing it or accomplished some other career related goal. :)

malikalin
04-23-2005, 11:29 PM
although, I noticed this board is prettty outdated...anyway

im 25 still lives at home, My dad and I dont get along each other? why? he doesn't have one single friend, hes so weak minded, so neurotic, so timid, have low self- esteem, always complains, grambles and do nothing about it and just wait until her wife force him to do someting, contribute nothing to house chore, does takes shower once in a week or so...I mean he doesn't even know how to take care of himself and decided to have kid??, I feel sorry for my mom and my self. Hes a pathetic looser.

I am willing to move out but im in a huge financial strait and have little savings, guys any advice?

Drufus
04-24-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm 23, been out of college for a year. Working temp jobs sporadicaly. Startin a new one in another week. Doesn;t pay very well. I've been on 20 interviews for jobs. Didn't get any of them. Still live at home. I don't mind so much when I'm working, but when I am not, it gets annoying living at home. Especially since my father is retired and home all day.

who knows???
04-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Still live at home, but I now have a full time job. My crappy temp job went perm. Hey, I had to do something. Pays pretty well, still living at home, but you know what, that's ok. I'm fortunate to get along with both of my parents. Earliest I'm thinking about moving out is next summer. That way I will have more saved and will be able to afford a townhome. If I'm lucky, maybe things can change for the better in another year.

dreams82
04-24-2005, 02:44 PM
I like this discussion alot. Everyone is so positive about living at home. I guess it's not so bad. I am turning 23 next week and I did not think I would still be at home at that age. I think part of me is scared to move out, and in denial about living and working in the real world. Sometimes my parents drive me crazy, but hey we live together, we're family it's ok.

My goal is to be out by the time my younger brother goes to school in August. I don't want to be the last child home, that would be very lonely I think.

I think about where I am in life so much, it's constantly on my mind and it bums me out. My friends don't seem to understand, they like where they are and what they're doing. I need change though, cuz I feel stuck sometimes. These boards are my saving grace!

biodork
04-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I have officially moved back home with my parents...

:sigh:

Too bad my bf and I pretty much did it all on our own and we are supposed to be living in their basement that is currently occupied STILL by my younger brother. They have known for over 2 months that we were moving in at this time. Last night we either had to sleep in the same room as my brother, with the dogs or on the floor. Floor it was. I'm trying to feel ok with the situation I really am...but my family is making it REALLY hard for me to do so...

vikramjain
01-28-2006, 02:34 AM
I am 26 and live with my parents. I have been working in my father's publishing company ever since I graduated college 6 years ago. I have added a lot of new things in this business and travelled all over the world on business. However, I have never felt satisfied and totally at ease. I feel that I have not grown at all. I wasted my life's best years living with my parents and didn't go out into the real world and never learnt all the things that makes one a grown-up, independent individual. It is very sad for me and I feel depressed many times because I get frustrated with life and feel lonely and think that I have not seen life and my life is passing me by. I blame myself for not having lived alone and gone to grad school after graduating college. I wasted so many years and complacency surrounded me. I come from Delhi, India so it is not unusual to see children living with their parents even after marriage. But it is absolutely not what I intend to do.

One of my sister's who is 6 years older than me and still lives at home and does nothing! As a result, the house is very stressful indeed and I feel that I need more space to live. I need to come back to a personal space of my own and live my own life rather than living for everybody around me.

I need to get out of my parents' place and find a life on my own. And I feel now is the time. Can I still make a new life at 26? I'm considering an MBA or a publishing course away from my country. I really want to see the horizon and live my life happily and 'grow up'. I hope life doesn't pass me by...

PVD99
01-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I am 24 and I still live at home because I want to have a good savings account. I am aiming for at least 6 months of living expenses. I have been laid off before, and that really changed my entire outlook on things.

coolmind
01-28-2006, 12:22 PM
:razz: Wanna learn and exopand your horizons ?...do like i did...left home very early, traveled the globe, speak 6 languages and met the most amazing people u can imagine, i guarantee u 'll succed and u'll never forget ur experinence...financial hurdle ? not a worry, there is always people willing to help out by hiring for all kinds of stuff- mostly in Europe.

Peace

Jedi of Zen
01-28-2006, 12:29 PM
27 here, moved back home about a year and a half ago so I could go back to school. Life at home has definitely had its pros as well as cons, but overall, I can't wait to finish my degree and move on.

yankeeyosh
01-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm 27 too, and living with my parents...mostly because it would be very difficult on my salary to live elsewhere. Granted, I am happy they are willing to take me in, and I appreciate it tremendously. The only issue is that I have is that I'm being pressured to no end to change my career path...so that's really the one (and big) downside.

glitterchick81
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm 24 and still live at home with my mum. It's rough at times because we fight a lot and she doesn't make that much, but if I made enough money then I'd be able to move out. I'll probably be stuck here for another 5 years, though, knowing my luck.

unpopular
01-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I haven't ever had a stable job - in my field, you have to spend 5-10 years taking contract jobs and short-term jobs in obscure places before landing a job that lasts more than a year in a nice town.

I live on my own whenever I am employed. When unemployed, I have to live in my parents' basement because I have nowhere else to go.

Really difficult to make and keep friends, all this moving around. I haven't had a girlfriend through all this either.

But my parents don't mind me hanging around if they see me applying for jobs.

hello_kitty83
01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I'll be 23 this summer and I'm still living at home as well. I'm working a part-time job right now and I'm constantly looking out for full-time jobs, but I haven't found anything. A lot of jobs here don't pay you enough. One of my friends is working full-time as a paralegal, but because she only gets paid $6.50 an hour, she still can't afford to live on her own so she's also living at home.

I might be living at home but I'm financially independent - I paid for all four years of college out of my own pocket, contribute my share around the house and pay for all other expenses on my own. My younger brother, on other hand, is living on his own but constantly asks my parents for money.

Cole
01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm 24, and I still live with my parents. Do you think thats a problem? Someone give me thier insight on this.

Um, no it is not a problem. I lived with my parents for a little over a year after college, and it's fine.

It kind of sucks for dating, but other than that the free rent, laundry, food, etc. is worth it.

Just set a deadline for when you want to move out and bust ass to get a job and save up in order to do so. I ended up staying exactly 1 month longer than I had planned.