PDA

View Full Version : does anybody wanna make a band?

artbabe
02-04-2005, 12:47 AM
okay be honest. raise your hand if you played air guitar in the mirror and thought you were a bad assed riot boy or grrl who was up on making a band starring you?

and there was a time when you thought you'd actually make the dream a reality so you answered ads in newspapers and showed up and met for a few practices toting your little guitar around town in its second hand case with the stickers all over it cuz stickers were COOL back then...back before the world got all bland and Gap-like and everyone went to old navy.

if you were a girl, you listened to the Breeders when you were 13 while reading Sassy magazine and intermittently doodling in your sketchbook the rockin' outfit you'd wear on stage-OH yeah, you know it baby.

then something happened and you discovered alcohol or guys or both and realised that sucking face with the opposite sex was so bloody interesting and he plays guitar much better than you ever did and isn't her voice just perfect and i don't even know anyone in a band.

so you sat on the sidelines and watched...all the talent in the world strum through the fingers of the badly drawn boy on television and realise to yourself that maybe music just was never for you...

but it still aches though, doesn't it.

you still feel it, don't you? even though you think you're TOO OLD...don't ya?

ya..ya you do...ya you do and you know what?

you're not to bloody old.

:p

artbabe
02-04-2005, 01:12 AM
ouch..the navy...OUCH...and he doesn't even TALK about music anymore...oh dear. you should talk to him about it. i'll bet he's still got the fire.

pisces2473
02-04-2005, 08:06 AM
I always wanted to be a backup singer...hee...

Phoenix
02-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Funny that you started this thread. I'm actually going through it right now. Looking for bands, meeting bands, and kind of auditioning(?) for one at the moment.

Don't know if I have enough talent or if it's truly 'for me' but it's always something I've wanted to try b/c I didn't do it when I was a teenager.

And, no, you're never too bloody old. ;) At least that's what I tell myself.

Deadend
02-04-2005, 10:37 AM
This post really strikes a chord with me!!! (Wah... wah....)

As I sit here about four feet away from my guitar. I picked it up originalyl when I was 18. I've never had any formal lessons, but I can play a few songs, and can certainly play power chords if I wanted to do somthing like a power punk or metal band.

Alot of my friends from back home are in a band. The shows and putting them on are real fun, but to be honest they really suck.

A few months ago I went to a rock show that they were headlining, and most of the other bands were composed of guys that were in, or recently graduated from high school.

And I'm thinking, damn, they look like they're having so much fun up there. I don't want to make a career out of music, but damn why the hell am I not getting my shit in gear and doing somthing like this? If only for the shear fun of it.

I'll tell you why - drummers. Every so often I get all motivated and think damn, i'll do this this week! And it always peters out when I give up finding someone that can play drums. (Heck, I know two bass players even!)

Lately I've been thinking about giving up playing guitar in a band all together and just picking up drums. Unfortunately kits are expensive and I'm broke as a joke.

Phoenix
02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Deadend, you should do it just for fun. If you can't afford a kit right now, all you need is a practice pad or maybe the snare to get started. And to see if you really want to do it w/o spending a boatload on a kit at the moment.

Eph...don't have any recording equipment. Plus, I suck on guitar kinda still. ;)

Winter Storm
02-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Ohhh, Meee!

I either want to be a lead singer or a drummer. I'm a great singer. I don't know how to drum but I can learn and I know I'd look kickass in a white tank and a cut-off denim skirt.

So when's rehearsal?

kitalyn414
02-04-2005, 03:28 PM
i'd really like to be a jazz singer. i'd say i'd like to be in a rock band, but i don't really have a voice for it. jazz is more my thing. i don't want to be famous, and i don't expect to make a career of it. i'd just love to play in a small, dimly lit club one night a week. that would be great! :cool:

Phoenix
02-04-2005, 05:28 PM
i'd really like to be a jazz singer. i'd say i'd like to be in a rock band, but i don't really have a voice for it. jazz is more my thing. i don't want to be famous, and i don't expect to make a career of it. i'd just love to play in a small, dimly lit club one night a week. that would be great! :cool:

Open mic nite, Kit! ;)

artbabe
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
i told myself that when i turned 25 i'd stop doing karaoke because it's juvenile...

but i'm really good at it..

but it's quite loserish.

kitalyn414
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
karaoke is neither juvenille nor loserish. why do you say that? :cry:

Phoenix
02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Why's it loserish if you enjoy it and it's a fun activity?