PDA

View Full Version : I'm sore--should I work out?

Tayl405
03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
I never know when to work through being sore, or take a day off. I"m so sore today but I've been bad about working out and I feel like I should go! It doesn't help that I sat on a plane last night and hauled heavy bags around...

pisces2473
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
How bad is it? If it's minor soreness, just go for a walk on the treadmill or ride a bike...just to keep your body limber. If it's BAD, definitely take the day off, get some Advil and rest.

MetFanL
03-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Saw this on MSN...

MYTH #4

Never exercise a sore muscle. Before you skip that workout, determine how sore you really are. "If your muscle is sore to the touch or the soreness limits your range of motion, it's best that you give the muscle at least another day of rest," says Alan Mikesky, Ph.D., director of the human performance and biomechanics laboratory at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis. In less severe instances, an "active rest" involving light aerobic activity and stretching, and even light lifting, can help alleviate some of the soreness. "Light activity stimulates bloodflow through the muscles, which removes waste products to help in the repair process," says David Docherty, Ph.D., a professor of exercise science at the University of Victoria in Canada.

The real expert says: If you're not sore to the touch and you have your full range of motion, go to the gym. Start with 10 minutes of cycling, then exercise the achy muscle by performing no more than three sets of 10 to 15 repetitions using a weight that's no heavier than 30 percent of your one-rep maximum, says Docherty

Tayl405
03-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Hmmm...it's not really sore to the touch. I guess I could just go on the bike or something for a little bit. But I want to work out tomorrow morning and that might be too much too close together?

paiger81
03-28-2005, 01:52 PM
WHenever I'm sore, I usually hop on the elliptical for about 15 minutes, it helps to loosen up my muscles. Usually by the time I'm done with that, I can move onto other things.

DOing workouts that close together is ok. I know on weekends, I usually work out around 10am and then again around 8pm. Maybe try upperbody tonight, then concentrate on lower body in the morning.

MetFanL
03-28-2005, 01:54 PM
What's the rest of your week like? If you're super busy and are really going to miss getting a workout in today, then go and do like Paige suggested -- upper body tonight, lower body tmw or vice versa. If you can make up for missing tonight later in the week, then fine.

But, I have to say that it just sounds like you might be tired and cranky and just don't want to work out tonight because of that... If that's the case, use the 15 minute rule -- go and do 15 minutes of cardio and if you still feel like a*s, go home.

Tayl405
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Lol, I am a little tired (not cranky for once!). I guess I'll just see how I feel when I get home. I can make up for it later in the week (I usually work out 6 times a week at least), so it won't be that big a deal. I just hate being sore!

MetFanL
03-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I know. I'm sore today, too... I ran outside yesterday and my legs hurt, my neck hurts... I want to go to the gym, though, b/c that helps me get warmed up enough to get a good, proper stretch.

And, as an aside, WTF is my issue w/ running? When I run, my legs hurt a little, but I have to stop b/c my shoulders and neck KILL! Why does that happen?

paiger81
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Do you know I've never actually ran a mile? Back in junior high & high school I would just not dress out during track day. Used to piss off the teacher :)

A few weeks back, I figured I'd give it a shot. I mean, I'm doing 3 miles on an elliptical, I assumed I could run. :redface: I ended up straining my ankle & unable to work out for nearly a week :redface:

I feel that is God's way of saying "Look, dumbass, I'll let you do some things, but you were not meant to run" :razz:

pisces2473
03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm not meant to run either--every time I do it, my ankle hurts and/or swells. I can walk FAST and with an incline on the treadmill, do the elliptical, whatever. Just NO running.

Tayl405
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Met--maybe you're hunching your shoulders when you run?

Paige--I never used to be able to too (plus I have asthma, which makes it worse). I started by walking, then started running slowly, and now I've worked my way up to jogging for a half hour straight (which believe me is an accomplishment!). My knee hurts if I do it too often though, so I stick to the elliptical.

My parents have a punching bag so I did kickboxing yesterday, and gymnastics, for the first time in FOREVER. I worked muscles that I didn't know I had!

paiger81
03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Back when I was in Tae Kwon Do, I broke my growth plate in my ankle, not once, but on two seperate occasions. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with me not running.

MetFanL
03-28-2005, 02:14 PM
No, it hurts in between my shoulders which makes me thing I push my shoulders back too much when I run and pinch them together. I think I need to figure out how to relax my upper body when I run...

Not that I'm running any races or anything, but I've only been able to start running recently. I know I say this all the time (I annoy myself, too, if that helps) but Pilates has fixed the distribution of the muscles in my thighs so I can step properly and not hurt my knees when I run (or do anything else). I still have to be careful, so I only run every other day, but it's completely different now. My knees used to hurt when I ran -- and nothing else. Now I hurt in all the "right places."

coll214
03-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I keep saying I want to try running, but am not sure how to just start going... it would be a good workout for me to do on the off days I don't go to the gym; weather permitting of course :googly.

paiger81
03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Check it out, it teaches you how to build up to a 5k.

MetFanL
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM
That's cool, Paige. I'm at the 2 mile point, but I can't seem to get past that... It's annoying.

biodork
03-28-2005, 02:56 PM
I wonder if I could actually get to the 5k point. I have never ever in my entire life, even when I was in the best shape from doing gymnastics, been able to run an entire mile. Part of that reason was due to having asthma when I was younger, and I think I still have it now. I've always been a short distance runner. I did great in the shuttle run in elementary and HS. But the mile run? Always one of the last people done.

paiger81
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I ended up doing it on the elliptical, for the walking part I'd do 125-130 strides, then for running I'd go up to 170 strides. It's actually a lot of fun.

mishl982
03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
But the mile run? Always one of the last people done.
Yep. I was one of those too. I hated running, but I didn't want to risk getting an F for the day if I sat out.

I started picking up running last summer, just running around my neighborhood, but found that I could only run about 25% of the time (and it was a very short distance). I gave that up, and then tried the treadmill at the end of last year. I did way better than when I would run outside. I think it's because on a treadmill I push myself to go at a certain speed and for a certain amount of time. There's no cheating or slacking unless I want to keep pushing the buttons to go up or down (and it's loud so everyone in the gym would see how much of a slacker I am). Now I run about 50% of the time and am trying to work my way up. I started limiting myself to running just twice a week because it does take a lot out of me. If I run on one day, the next I am so exhausted and weak to work out.

Fatdogsmells
03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm more of a cyclist then a runner, but after straining two key cycling muscles, I've been re-incorporationg running into my lifestyle because I can't cycle as much , and I don't want to pay for physical therapy again.

Those of you who are having ankle problems, you may be wearing the wrong footwear. I love running because it's a cheap sport (assuming you don't drop all your cash on the latest running gear), but the sneakers you wear are super important. They can save you a lot of headaches and reduce your risk of injury. 3

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/pronation-supination.htm