PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in temping hell

oso
04-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't really know what happened to my life. I used to be so ambitious, so ready to take after graduating from a small liberal arts college, unclear about which direction I wanted to take my life, I went abroad to teach, returned and decided to get a job in something that I was considering committing my life to (lawfirm or a nonprofit). For the first four months of returning home I was applying to jobs fulltime--over 100 resumes sent out with personalized cover letters--all while living at my girlfriend’s parents’ house (the worst of all possible situations). I decided that needed to change, that despite me not having the job I wanted yet, independence was more important for my self-esteem so I got an apartment and a temp position. Since then, I have had 6 temp jobs in less than a year, haven't gotten a real job with a salary so I could safely pay my bills, or have more an idea of what I wanted to do with my life. I KNOW, and have ALWAYS known that I wasn't meant for filing and receptionist work. I have several job prospects--they lead me on for a couple of months, and then always end up rejecting me. I just don't understand. Before this year my resume was exceptional, and now there's a big zit of temping for a year--a year, I mean, temping is supposed to be temporary...when did I become the biggest loser on the planet! My life is totally out of my control, I'm stuck, stuck, I can't even bring myself to apply to more jobs, because I can't deal with more rejection. I've gone from the dean's list to reality t.v. trivia queen. I really feel like...uh, f***, worthless.

miner_engineer
04-12-2005, 10:38 PM
oso, all I can tell you is hang in there. I totally feel your pain since I am in the same boat. I just left a crappy ass job and now I am out of a job. My only prospects are Wal-Mart or temp jobs. Given your situation, maybe temp work isn't the best option ;) Anyway, looking back I see how ambitous yes DELUSIONAL I was coming out of high school and into college. Once I entered college I was full force going to take over the world. yeah, didn't really work out that way - I got my ass kicked hard. When I first got out of grad school (BSME magna cum laude with minor in economics and then and MSME with 3.6 GPA) I thought I could pick and choose. Yeah, that didn't work out either. It took me a YEAR, yes a YEAR (14 months to be exact) to find a job and it was SHITTY at that. The work was decent but the pay sucked totally especially since I had school loans from my undergrad. That year was tough. Depression, anxiety, I was falling apart. Finally, I hit bottom, sought counseling to pull myself together. After a while I realized my depression was showing through and could have been influencing my ability to find work. The couseling help prepare me for interviews so that I exuded confidence and assurance. It worked enough to find a job. Now it wasn't a high paying career position but it was a start. I had to give it up because I recently moved to another location with my husband. So, I am starting over again. Keeping a positive, optimistic attitude can make a difference and in the very least it can keep you from going insane. It is much easier said than done because after being unemployed now for 3 months I still have a difficult time. The wonderful thing about this website is that many of us are going through the exact same difficulties. For what it's worth, you are not alone.

bridgetjones
04-12-2005, 10:53 PM
I have been there. It sucks. My life story is graduated with business degree from good school. Traveled for a few months. Came back. Did not know what to do with life. Took 8 months to get real job. Got laid off from real job after 6 months. Did some freelance. Took another 8 months to get another real job. Ugh... I think I am scarred from all this myself. Kinda hate this job now. What the hell am I supposed to do? Dk. Ugh... Oh yes still live with parents. Ugh... When will this shit end?! Know the feeling. However, you cannot be faulted for making a living with the temp work. Geez...

All I can say is keep on trying. Exercise and eat right. Do not take the rejection too personally. You will eventually get your job. Keep on throwing resumes and something will stick!

miner_engineer
04-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I have been there. It sucks. My life story is graduated with business degree from good school. Traveled for a few months. Came back. Did not know what to do with life. Took 8 months to get real job. Got laid off from real job after 6 months. Did some freelance. Took another 8 months to get another real job. Ugh... I think I am scarred from all this myself. Kinda hate this job now. What the hell am I supposed to do? Dk. Ugh... Oh yes still live with parents. Ugh... When will this shit end?! Know the feeling. However, you cannot be faulted for making a living with the temp work. Geez...

All I can say is keep on trying. Exercise and eat right. Do not take the rejection too personally. You will eventually get your job. Keep on throwing resumes and something will stick!

Good advice bridgetjones! You asked the perfect question -- when will this shit end?!?!? I am not exactly sure what happened to turn everything upside down in such a short amount of time but that is neither here nor there. By the way, I am trying that exercise and eat right thing to get rid of the weight on put on between jobs!! This unemployment struggle does leave a permanent mark on a person that is for sure. It certainly affected my outlook on politics and how it affects the lives of us younger folk!!!

NoWomanNoCry
04-13-2005, 11:10 PM
You are not alone!

I graduated summa cum laude (4.0 actually) from a top school and here I am with no real job as of yet. I'll admit that after graduating I didn't look much for jobs at all because I was convinced I was going to move out of the state, which I did a whole year later. Only to come back this February after having done a free-lance project and a crappy temp job in Cali. So basically, my resume since I graduated consists of my waitressing job, which I had for a year, and my free-lance work, which I had for four months. And right now I'm working as a host in a restaurant and as the beer cart girl on a golf course just to keep my head above water. I've sent out a ton of resumes and had about five interviews since I've been back, but no luck as of yet. Don't punish yourself - it's a tough economy and there are tons of people in our shoes. My advice - NETWORK! As much as possible. I'm finding that the statement "It's not what you know, but who you know" to be more and more true as of late. Take care! :0

winneythepooh7
04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
I would think that working, even temping, should be better then not working right now. And while you do that, I would still send your resume out to REAL jobs that you would like to have. I also agree with the networking statement. It's all about who you know.