about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Realistically, what are your chances of becoming a famous actress/actor?

Did they say that you're more likely to get struck by lightening than become a successful actor/actress?

I ask this because I know someone who recently moved to Hollywood to become an actor. He was in some indy movie and was an extra on the OC. I was asking someone else and they were like "that's nothing". It seems pretty good to me. No clue how he got on the OC, but I'm thinking it's just because he knew someone and made the contact.

But seriously, what if it takes 15 years and you're still waitressing and working some crappy night job? I wouldn't want to wake up 35 with no career. It's a huge risk. I guess if you're fine working dead end jobs on the side to pursue your dreams, so be it. I don't even know what he is doing to "bring home the bread" other than being an extra - i doubt that would pay too much money...

One of my best friends from college has been doing extra work for several years in L.A. In terms of working out there, one extra gig isn't really much,in the grand scheme of things, though you'd think it would be, for a successful show. Not so much. He has enough work that he works daily on some show or another (lots of crap TV), but he still waits tables nights and reads scripts for cash to pay the bills.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

re

I feel like the majority of it is luck...oh, and ridiculously good looks.

Chances of becoming a famous actor/actress?

St. Thomas? St. Happenin'. What's the often quoted statistic-- 1 celebrity for every 10,000 aspiring ones?

I'm glad I got over the acting bit when I was younger. I was an extra in a few things, and auditioned for a few commercials, but that was it. I like science much better.

But let me tell you it is definitely hard to get into. There's the whole catch-22 thing-you need to be in the actor's guild or union or whatever it is to get a part easier, and to get into the union you have to get a part. I forget how you get around that.
    ~Elyse

Mrs. Cartman: There you are Eric, what are you doing here?
    Cartman: I'm waiting for the new Nintendo Wii to come out.
    Mrs. Cartman: When does it come out?
    Cartman: Three weeks... c'mon. C'mon!
    Mrs. Cartman: It's time for school.
    Cartman: No, Mom, you don't understand! I've been waiting for this thing to come out for months, and now every day time is slowing down. It's like ... waiting for Christmas ... times a thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by J-girl
    I think its more like freaky good looks. You have to look like a freak to be in hollywood. Honestly if someone tells me I should be in show biz I get offended. Does that mean I look like a freak?

Look at Jessica Simpson. She looks like a scrawny little mouse in real life.
    Or if you are the non-talented sister of a freak (cough *Ashlee Simpson* cough)
    ~Elyse

Mrs. Cartman: There you are Eric, what are you doing here?
    Cartman: I'm waiting for the new Nintendo Wii to come out.
    Mrs. Cartman: When does it come out?
    Cartman: Three weeks... c'mon. C'mon!
    Mrs. Cartman: It's time for school.
    Cartman: No, Mom, you don't understand! I've been waiting for this thing to come out for months, and now every day time is slowing down. It's like ... waiting for Christmas ... times a thousand.

Well, in all fairness...it's not so pie-in-the-sky to become a working actor,; it CAN be done...not often as a full-time thing. There are lots of working actors you'd never notice or recognize. They act in pilots that never get aired, do commercial spots, TV movies, all kinds of "industry" stuff. You're still a working actor. But to become famous, a-list? Or evn b- or c- list? Yeah, those are the insane odds you all see quoted.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Quote Originally Posted by biodork
    There's the whole catch-22 thing-you need to be in the actor's guild or union or whatever it is to get a part easier, and to get into the union you have to get a part. I forget how you get around that.
    If you hang out long enough doing grunt work, as an extra, you increase your odds of getting into Actor's Equity.

Quote Originally Posted by ephphatha
    I think there's a pretty good chance of me becoming an actor. This is the way I imagine it happening. I"ll just happen to be in an area where some big movie is being shot. I'll be walking by while the director is stressing out over the fact that some actor who was supposed to play a part died, quit, or just didn't work out. He'll see me from a distance, approach with hope, and suddenly burst into euphoria, holding his hand in front of him with his fingers and thumbs in the shape of a square exclaiming, "YOu are absolutely PERFECT for this part. You simply MUST agree to play it!" It'll just be a short part, but it will be so moving that other directors will notice it, and next thing you know, I'll have to get an agent to deal with the flood of requests I have coming in.
    OMG! That's MY plan too!!!
    I think Fantasy Football is Dungeons and Dragons for wannabe jocks. - OSS