about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Make my ear stop hurting!

My left ear has been hurting for the past two days. Nothing so painful that I might pass out, but annoying as hell.
    "But it's not that you can't see the forest for the trees, you've never been out in the woods alone" - Ben Folds Five

Is it an ear infection?

It's just weirdly sore. Just like a general ache. I've never actually had an ear infection before as far as I know. Maybe it is. I'll get it checked out on Friday if it doesn't stop.
    "But it's not that you can't see the forest for the trees, you've never been out in the woods alone" - Ben Folds Five

I've never had an ear infection either. Can you put ice on it to take away some pain? Is it the inside part that hurts or the outside part?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil
    I've never had an ear infection either. Can you put ice on it to take away some pain? Is it the inside part that hurts or the outside part?
    The inside but it's such a general soreness. It's really weird

Kitty Guest
    Sounds like an ear infection. Get it checked out before it gets worse.

i am assuming that you don't have a large nail or some other foreign object in there - if so that could be your problem.

about a year ago i really irritated my ear when i got a little carelss with a q-tip. my ear really hurt whenever i was chewing. my doc gave me some ear drop and it cleared it up in a couple of days.

To soothe the ache, take a glass of water and heat it up in the microwave and then put your ear over it and let the steam get into the ear.

I used to get ear aches when I flew or was swimming a ton, this always helped.
    If its severe, get to a doc, its probably an ear infection.

GOod luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhillnh
    To soothe the ache, take a glass of water and heat it up in the microwave and then put your ear over it and let the steam get into the ear.
    I seriously thought I was the only one who did this!

Also, with Mexican folk medicine, you make a cone out of paper, stick the small end of the cone into your ear, then light the larger end on fire, the heat sucks the pressure out of the ear. Yeah, I've never done this to myself, but have been the one lighting the cone & doing it for someone.....
    100% Cze-xican

The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation
    -Rent

lighting fire near the hair, that seems like a good idea for a do-it-yourselfer.....i would expectt hat this would be very dangerous if you had big 80's hair complete with the requisite amount of hairspray.

anyways, i should mention that i am going for some ear candling next week - which based on my understanding is quite similar to the process paiger outlined - it should be an interesting experience.

I've heard there's no real benefit to ear candling compared to other, safer methods.

I had ear infections most of my early childhood (up through first or second grade) and it damaged my hearing. I eventually had tubes put in, and I haven't had an ear infection since.

You might need to get your ears flushed. Wax impaction can cause pressure and pain.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith
    You might need to get your ears flushed. Wax impaction can cause pressure and pain.
    See, there you go. Say no to ear-candling and say yes to ear-douching.

I should mention that "ear-douching" HURTS like a sonofabitch.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith
    I should mention that "ear-douching" HURTS like a sonofabitch.
    But don't you feel fresh afterwards?