about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Second Interview - What Happens?

After giving up hope on a job I interviewed for a few weeks back, I received a call yesterday evening asking me to come back for a second interview. I really really want this job, and I want to be prepared. However, I've never been on a second interview, ever. I have no idea what to expect.

What I know: I will be interviewing with the Department Supervisor again. During the first round, I met with an HR Rep for the usual questions, and then spoke with the Department Supervisor. We had a good conversation, and talked a little about tech, and about the job.

What I don't know: Everything else.

For those who have had second interviews, especially in the IT/computer support realm, what usually happens at these types of interviews?
    "DSMs - turning ordinary people into beer-drinking, foul-mouthed, tool-throwing backyard mechanics since 1989"

While I can't speak specifically to the IT field, here's a few highlights from my second interview (with the company I work for now):

- I met with the initial interviewer again, and about four other people. Chances are you may be 'paraded' in front of several managers, or peers. Do your very best to remember names!

- It's likely that this will be a significantly longer interview. You made the first cut, and now they want to get to know a lot more about you to see if you will be a good fit for the office. Hence, interacting with a lot of people.

- You may be asked to do something 'technical' in your field. Just after I was hired, my office implemented a new bit into their interviewing process. Interviewees are now asked (on their 2nd interview) to write a quick, technical proposal in their area of expertise (water, air, etc.).

Um...I can't think of anything else terrifically significant right now...

I can't really speak to IT, either. But I have had a couple of second interviews in the last year.

Usually it was the time when people got to know me less for my qualifications and more in an attempt to see if I woulf "fit in" and how i would work with the other people in the department.

I often met with the higher-ups who weren't part of the first round of interviews, as well as had a chance to talk with the people I'd be working directly with or under. I recommend asking for cards from everyone you meet, and as soon as you leave make notes on the back about what they looked like so you can remember which is who. Make sure to write prompt thank-you notes to everyone.

Come with some good questions about the job, their management style, the office environment, etc. This is also your chance to decide if this is a place you'd really want to work.

Just be confident and prepared. They already think you're qualified, now they're getting down to the little things that might bring you ahead of the other candidate. The key is to be comfortable (but very professional) and make them feel comfortable with you.
    "No woman wakes up in the morning thinking 'gee, I hope I don't get swept off my feet today...'"

my heart knows me better than I know myself so I'm gonna let it do all the talking

multiple interviews

the general thinking is that the 1st interview weeds out, the second interview qualifies a small group, the 3rd interview selects the individual - some places do that in the 2nd...

call a competitor (roughly same size company) and ask their HR for a quick interview to help you research general hiring practice - and ask about how they use multiple interviews - it may give you some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by yes_is_a_word
    the general thinking is that the 1st interview weeds out, the second interview qualifies a small group, the 3rd interview selects the individual - some places do that in the 2nd...

call a competitor (roughly same size company) and ask their HR for a quick interview to help you research general hiring practice - and ask about how they use multiple interviews - it may give you some insight.
    I've rarely had more than two...the only time I had three, for some reason I was the only candidate they were looking at, and yet, they couldn't finish me up in one sitting (this was a four-man operation)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser
    For those who have had second interviews, especially in the IT/computer support realm, what usually happens at these types of interviews?
    I've had one.

In the second interview, I was asked to elaborate on my skill sets, to discuss what I could do with computers and what I had done with them in the past, I was asked for samples of business/tech writing, and I talked on the phone with a guy from another state who further inquired about my skills. ("Do you know this program? That one? What can you do with this? What can you do in UNIX; on Mac OsX, etc.)
    "Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson

"I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag, with Latin written on it that says, 'It's hard to give a shit these days.' " -Lou Reed

I had a 2nd in engr, but not IT.

First for me was technical/fit, 2nd was slightly technical, but more for fit.

I think most interviews are to determine:
    1. If you can do the job (technical interview)
    2. If you work well w/ the company (fit w/ ppl, team, culture)

To follow up, in case someone digs up this thread in a search.

My second interview was strictly a "fit" interview. I met with the Supervisor I had met earlier, and he introduced me to a few of the senior members of the team I would be working with. We all explained our backgrounds, how we got involved with computers, and what we like to do. It was very laid-back and was definitely set up to see what the dynamic of the group would be like with me. I walked away feeling very good about my prospects with this company. I was still thrown a few questions about "what would you do in this situation" but it was much more of a "is this guy gonna fit in with us?" meeting.

Keep your fingers crossed
    "DSMs - turning ordinary people into beer-drinking, foul-mouthed, tool-throwing backyard mechanics since 1989"