about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brainstorm: non-office jobs?

I'm trying to do some brainstorming about professional jobs that don't require sitting at a desk all day.

I hate being sedentary and sitting in front of a computer, and typing is fucking up my hands... so I need to get a job that doesn't require these things.

Besides teaching, what can you think of that doesn't require sitting in an office and typing for the majority of the day?
    "No woman wakes up in the morning thinking 'gee, I hope I don't get swept off my feet today...'"

my heart knows me better than I know myself so I'm gonna let it do all the talking

Youth outreach work. I spent the bulk of my days outside, in gyms, running around, doing home visits, doing activities, etc. Def. NOT a desk job.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Nursing
    Student Affairs Administration (being the director of a residence hall, for example)

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. They would require some further education (as would teaching), but not huge amounts. For nursing, you can start out as a CNA doing grunt work and get your nursing license from a community college program, if there is one nearby. Student Affairs is harder to break into, because a masters degree from a professional program is typically required for "entry-level" positions like residence hall directors. But because there is currently a shortage of people interested in the profession, the degree requirement is being relaxed at a lot of schools. If you were an RA in college, you could land an RHD position at a smaller college or university.

I always thought being a paramedic would be a cool job.
    -- Kim

I searched through rebellion, drugs, diets, mysticism, religions, intellectualism and much more, only to begin to find that truth is basically simple - and feels good, clean and right.
    ~ Chick Corea

www.allthatanda.com

lots of options

as one guy said, the postal service... or sanitation....

youth work
    shop supervisor
    sales
    skilled trades (plumber, electrician, carpenter, machinist, etc...)
    driver
    law enforcement

there's lots... what are your interests/skills...

Construction
    Lifeguard
    Ski instructor
    Nurse
    Military (some are office jobs though)
    Firefighter
    Home Inspector
    Real Estate Relator
    Photographer
    TV Camera guy
    Car Salesman
    Pro sports player
    Race car driver

The problem is you have to be the best to make enough money to live for some of the jobs I suggested.

Occupational Therapist. Social Worker. Nurse. Independent Living Skills Trainer. Home and Community Support Staff. Home Health Aide. Case Manager. Counselor. Direct Care Worker. Veterinary Assistant. Veterinary Technician. Obviously some of these might require more education/training but they are definately not office jobs for the most part..............
    Last edited by winneythepooh7; 02-01-2006 at 07:23 AM.

well I'm working on my massage certification right now, so in six months I can jump into that. I'm trying to figure out something that I can do in the next month or so with the qualifications I already have... I would love to get into student affairs, but they want Master's Degrees for all of those positions. I'm looking into the youth outreach suggestion; I have pretty much no experience working with kids, but maybe that's not such a big deal...

Actually the coolest thing I've come across so far is being a bicycle tour guide for trek. But I can't do it this summer; I have to finish school and being in Italy for 4 months would not facilitate that.

I'd love to be ski patrol, too. But I live in a state w/o mountains.
    "No woman wakes up in the morning thinking 'gee, I hope I don't get swept off my feet today...'"

my heart knows me better than I know myself so I'm gonna let it do all the talking

Professional church worker. I have to say it's definitely the sweetest gig on the planet. Granted, my I have never met another person with a job description like mine, but it's sort of like being a youth worker. Of course there are some prerequisites for that type of work. I definitely spend very little time at my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by agweitzel
    Professional church worker. I have to say it's definitely the sweetest gig on the planet. Granted, my I have never met another person with a job description like mine, but it's sort of like being a youth worker. Of course there are some prerequisites for that type of work. I definitely spend very little time at my desk.
    Yeah, that would probably require an overhaul of my belief system, but thanks for the idea.

When I was a youth worker, it was through a church. It really was a sweet gig. Totally atypical, totally non-officey, totally noncorporate, extremely laid back. Nicest work environment I've ever known and likely will ever know. It was like family. Coolest, nicest, coworkers ever.

But, I have no issue with organized religion...at least, not that particular one.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

I have to admit that it is not my co-workers that make my church worker gig the best...in fact, i think my secretary is kind of mean. But it is a job where I get to be completely me. I get to be creative, and I get to use all of my talents and gifts in what I do. I think that's what makes it the sweetest gig ever...and maybe that's the key to any work that you really enjoy, is that you get to just be you.
    I got to create my own schedule, my own job description, and I pretty much never work at the office. I mainly set up shop and work at coffee shops, bookstores and stuff.
    Speaking of coffee shops...that was the most incredible non-office job I ever had--being a barista. I got to hang out with people all day and listen to great music. 'course I didn't really make a lot of money doing that. I really liked it though.

wow that sounds awesome. I totally need a job like that.

I have to admit that it is not my co-workers that make my church worker gig the best...in fact, i think my secretary is kind of mean. But it is a job where I get to be completely me. I get to be creative, and I get to use all of my talents and gifts in what I do. I think that's what makes it the sweetest gig ever...and maybe that's the key to any work that you really enjoy, is that you get to just be you.
    I got to create my own schedule, my own job description, and I pretty much never work at the office. I mainly set up shop and work at coffee shops, bookstores and stuff.
    Speaking of coffee shops...that was the most incredible non-office job I ever had--being a barista. I got to hang out with people all day and listen to great music. 'course I didn't really make a lot of money doing that. I really liked it though.
    Yup, mine was totally build and design my own position, too. I loved that. My job was whatever I wanted it to be.

Recently, I've been kicking around the idea of taking a civil service exam and trying to get in with the post office.
    "It was as though day-to-day twentieth century living had become an unsolvable algebraic equation." - Douglas Coupland