about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Any jobs without customer service?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had a job or knows of someone who has a job that doesn't have any elements of customer service involved. I work at a law office & I am tired of all the stupid people I deal with on a daily basis! Thanks!
    Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Every job you are going to deal with stupid questions.
    There is customer service elements like this in ANY job...unless you like data entry alone in a room.

YES! And that is MY job. I work on bibliographic files for the online computer database in a university library. Talk about solitary and boooooorrrrring.
    "Words are not only cheap, they're really easy to use." Taken from a Washington Post book review

file clerks and those that do inventory have very little interaction with others.

Human service jobs... working with the mentally ill, disabled, etc. But it takes a special kind of person to be able to handle it! Being a nanny is also great, because you are your own boss 99% of the time.

Watching C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate
    Originally posted by pisces2473
    YES! And that is MY job. I work on bibliographic files for the online computer database in a university library. Talk about solitary and boooooorrrrring.
    Do you get to wear headphones on your job? I had a data entry job and after I learned the ropes they let me listen to headphones which helped pass the time.

Yes, fortunately, they let me listen to music. Thank you lord. LOL
    "Words are not only cheap, they're really easy to use." Taken from a Washington Post book review

Listening to music is key on those kind of jobs.
    I listened to the BBC Radio 1 live feed online at
    bbc.co.uk/radio1

Stupid people interactions are everywhere - I was working the assignment desk at our TV news station - we get conspiracy buffs, ARnold LOVERS/Haters,
    people yelling about the concurrent liberal and conservative agenda/bias in news, why isn't there more coverage on Bush corruption - why are we so hard on Bush, why do you have so much BEN/JLO? When will JEN and BEN be on next?

AHHHH!

This is why I **hate** to sub for the receptionist!!!! (See thread on 5 best/worst aspects of job). We get conspiracy theorist calls/walk-ins, people who need professional mental health help,
    angry religious right radicals, overly paranoid liberals, arrrrggggghhh....

JKU, why don't you tell these people in re: to Bennifer to go watch E! or something. REAL news is about REAL things. And don't say J.Lo is REAL (LOL) b/c she's NOT! LOL

I will say customer service is not for everyone, just like sales. I worked both customer service then sales for the company I work for now, which then allowed my to move up into marketing where I was able to get away from most of the customer service side of the business. I actually was very cool with doing customer service, you just have to be very comfortable talking to people most of your day. Plus it helps if you like the subject of your job.

but I would have to agree with everyone else, a file clerk is really the only job with no customer interaction, that I can think of.
    -Jay