about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Iran Targeting Jews and Christians

This is insane! Does he think he is Hitler? Tell me this country is not a threat to the world!!

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...b1240f&k=32073

Although this is pretty disturbing in general and in particular for mionorities in Iran, this does not equal a "threat to the world"...
    The allied countries only viewed Hitler as a threat when he began invading his neighbours... and their own records on helping Jewish refugees from Germany/Eastern Europe in the same period were pretty abysmal if you look at the facts.
    The truth is, many countries operate horrible policies against ethnic/religious minorities, including many of "our" allies; we need look no further than Israel's treatment of the Palestinians/Israeli Arabs (which the US supports unreservedly, not only politically but financially and militarily) to see this...
    Why do these stories never appear in our media? This may seem convenient support for a future military attack against Iran, but this has nothing to do with the current international issues with that regime... Remember how quickly "weapons of mass destruction" turned into "freedom and democracy" for Iraqis, and what a mess that is...
    "A cup of coffee, a cigarette and my dreams can substitute quite well for the universe and all its stars." - Fernando Pessoa

"I hate a room without an open suitcase in it. It seems so permanent." - Zelda Fitzgerald

wow

It's bad enough that persecution for minority religions is still going on ANYWHERE but to mark people with badges JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR FAITH!!?? This is the kind of thing that DOES make me depressed about the state of the world. Not relationship issues, not job security, not my financial state, not familiy issues, not healthcare issues,.....THIS kind of thing!!

Public awareness is a step in the right direction--thanks for posting this.

Moscow, Memphis, Cape Town, Dallas, Amsterdam, Boston, Berlin, San Francisco
    So they should be invaded because they're going to pass a dress code?

The interesting thing about that is that in Indonesia they're thinking about doing something similar. However you don't see any outcry over that. Of course not, they dont' have any oil to offer, just cheap labour and consumer goods. Much more of a case of leaving well enough alone.

Crazy shit get submitted to parliments and congresses everywhere. It's a bigger deal in Iran? Why? Because some memeber of the canadian jewish congress is clairvoient?

Canwest-Global (which runs canada.com) is becoming as farcically right-wing as fox news. The Aspers that run this media chain are well known to be fervent and open zionists. They already forced the resignation of the editor of the Ottawa citizen when he refused to hand over control of the editorial section to their centralized office, and refused to comply with their moretorium on publishing anything at all related to life in palestein. Make no mistake karzai is an absolute crackpot, but at the same time I've got the 411 on this outfit that published the above article. They have an unadulterated political adjenda on this and it doesn't surprise me at all that this would be published.
    "I'm nothing if not ironically self-aware" - Wordsmith
    "Sometimes I'll see a beautiful woman, and it will ruin my whole day" - Robert Crumb

So they should be invaded because they're going to pass a dress code?
    No one said invade...but something needs to be done. And would you call what Hitler did to Jews issuing a dress code? I think this is drastically understating the what they are proposing to do. I am not saying this is the next Hitler either, but they are getting out of hand, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HereComes30
    I think this is drastically understating the what they are proposing to do. I am not saying this is the next Hitler either, but they are getting out of hand, IMO.
    I am a bit confused. In your original thread, you quite clearly implied the Iranian president is the next Hitler. And I am curious who your "they" is referring to? Is it just the Iranian government, or are you referring to the millions of Iranian citizens, the majority of whom are under 18, and who for the large part don't support the regime in power? (According to many reports, the results of the last presidential vote were skewed because many people abstained in protest at the selection process of the candidates...)
    And who are you to judge when people are "getting out of hand"? And whose hand are we referring to? What you are discussing is a purely domestic matter, which international law has no jurisdiction over (similar to the US' continued use of the death penalty, which most 1st and 2nd world nations find abhorrent)... Oh, but wait, I forgot, we don't believe in international law....
    Last edited by rootlessAlex; 05-19-2006 at 04:27 PM.
    "A cup of coffee, a cigarette and my dreams can substitute quite well for the universe and all its stars." - Fernando Pessoa

"I hate a room without an open suitcase in it. It seems so permanent." - Zelda Fitzgerald

They removed the story in your link.

They did have a dress code in Germany in the early 1940s:
    http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/star.htm

They are pretty good at enforcing the dress code for women in Iran currently.

Moscow, Memphis, Cape Town, Dallas, Amsterdam, Boston, Berlin, San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComes30
    but they are getting out of hand, IMO.
    Interesting choice of words. I think what you fail to realize is that nobody in the middle east particularily feels they should be in *your* hands at all. By that I mean the west, or the US, or NATO, or the UN or whatever.

That's not to say this behaviour and human rights violation is not to be wholey condemned, but rather that the ephamism shows the extent to which the assumed right to control the region is ingrained into your paradigm. It's this sort of arrogance in the west which promotes terrorist ideals in the first place.

The real question should be if we're concerned with Iran issuing a dress code and resembling the third riech (what ever happened to the old once-hitler-gets-mentioned-the-debate-is-no-longer-meaningful rule), or if we should be concerned withe Darfur where people are already being overtly raped and murdered.
    "I'm nothing if not ironically self-aware" - Wordsmith
    "Sometimes I'll see a beautiful woman, and it will ruin my whole day" - Robert Crumb

This is sickening, but sadly, in these countries, it's not unprecedented. Dating back to the medieval times, Jews and Christians had to wear certain identification markers...like a yellow conical hat or a cow's bell or something ridiculous and degrading. And of course, Hitler used this back in the thirties to identify Jews.

As bad as this is...I don't think it's a threat, and frankly, I think there will be enough world pressure to quell this. Nevertheless, even in these enlightened times, there are still places where you can't be considered as an equal.

Do you have a second source saying that this is really happening? Can you or anybody really prove that this is going on? Would the Iranians in this country (or Canada) be believed or allowed to speak on the TV to say that it isn't true?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the media likes to blow things out of proportion sometimes. And they've been know to report some stuff that the government says is a fact, but it isn't.

When you don't know about a country, you tend to believe everything the media and government tell you about it. So, how good is your local news about covering normal life in your town? One would think there is chaos in the streets here. Gangs, drugs, murder, kidnapping, assaults, and a bunch of other bad things. While they may have actually happened, they are just a small part of a larger picture.

--------------

I have no clue what this is about, but the State dept thinks that Iran should be democratic. If you have any ideas, you can get some funding.
    http://mepi.state.gov/62704.htm
    You have until July 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeyosh
    As bad as this is...I don't think it's a threat, and frankly, I think there will be enough world pressure to quell this.
    This in isolation may not be that much of a threat. However, if this is a sign of more restrictive and outrageous things to come, then that is worrisome.

They've been treating women like second-class citizens for years. I'm surprised it took them this long to do it to Jews and Christians considering it's a Muslim theocracy.
    "Human society, they claimed, was a sort of monster, its main by-products being corpses and rubble. It never learned, it made the same cretinous mistakes over and over, trading short-term gain for long-term pain. It was like a giant slug eating its way relentlessly through all the other bioforms on the planet, grinding up life on earth and shitting it out the backside in the form of pieces of manufactured and soon-to-be-obsolete plastic junk." --Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake

Here's an AP story that refutes these claims to a great degree.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060520/...4yBHNlYwNmYw--

By NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press Writer 39 minutes ago

TEHRAN, Iran - A draft law being considered by
    Iran's parliament encourages the wearing of Islamic clothing to protect the country's Muslim identity, according to a copy of the bill obtained by The Associated Press on Saturday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The 13-article bill, which received preliminary approval a week ago, does not mention requiring special attire for religious minorities.

On Friday, the Canadian newspaper The National Post, quoting Iranian exiles, said the law would force Jews, Christians and other religious minorities to wear special patches of colored cloth to distinguish them from Muslims.

The report brought immediate criticism from the United States, which is locked in a standoff with Iran over its nuclear program.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said any such measure would be "despicable" and carry "clear echoes of Germany under Hitler" referring to the yellow Star of David that Jews were forced to wear during the Holocaust.

He would not comment further, saying he did not "have all the facts" on the bill.

The bill raised fears among women that the hard-line government led by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is planning to crack down on social freedoms won in Iran during the previous, pro-reform government.

Laws in place since the 1979 Islamic Revolution require women to wear "chador" meaning a head scarf to cover their hair and a long overcoat the hide their shapes.

But in the past decade, enforcement has grown lax, and women particularly in the capital, Tehran commonly wear scarves that leave almost their entire heads bare and short, form-fitting jackets instead of overcoats.

The bill makes no specific mention of women but says it aims to "encourage the public to abstain from choosing clothes that aren't appropriate to the culture of Iran," according to the copy received from the parliament's press office.

It tasks the Culture Ministry and state media to promote Iranian styles of dress and to discourage clothing "that does not conform with Iranian-Islamic culture."

It also would give economic incentives to producers making Islamic-style clothing and impose tariffs on clothing imports.

The bill does not call for police or other bodies to enforce stricter styles of dress for women. In the past, religious police and paramilitary militias would castigate women in the streets if any of their hair was showing or if their clothes were too revealing, though such enforcement has been rarer in recent years.

Ardalan Parvin, a women's activist and journalist in Iran, said women will not accept it if Iran try to step up enforcement now.

"It is clear that this plan is designed to fight the Western dress code adopted by so many of Iran's youth," she said. "But I don't think that they can just eliminate the Western dress altogether. It's going to be very difficult."

The law does not define the Islamic-Iranian style that it will encourage or directly impose a particular uniform, as the National Post article suggested.

The Post also said that the law required Jews to wear a yellow strip of cloth sewn into their clothes, Christians to have a red one and Zoroastrians to wear blue. The copy of the bill received by AP makes no mention of minorities.

"Such a plan has never been proposed or discussed in parliament. Such news, which appeared abroad, is an insult to religious minorities here," Iranian Jewish lawmaker Morris Motamed told the AP.

There was a thread about this on another message board I belong to but after two or three pages of discussion on it, there was more than a bit of reasonable doubt about whether any of the story was true.

I'd link to it here but our board just got hacked and has been down all weekend so far.

Um...never said I was in favor of the Iraq war. For the record, I was against it from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickClip
    You have to understand, that the Western nations have a history of interference, imperialism, oppression, racism, and economic looting in the non-Western countries, I'm not surprised that they don't believe that the West wants to truly help them.
    I do understand that. I am not in favor of invading anyone. I think your post is rather hilarious in that you accuse me of making sweeping generalizations then assume that I'm racist and in favor of invading Iran based on two sentences. I don't know how you can say that Iran doesn't treat women like second-class citizens. Admittedly, they aren't as bad as say, Saudi Arabia, or Afghanistan, but I don't know how you can reasonably argue that they are given the same rights and freedoms as men. I'm certainly no expert, this is just based on what I've picked up from various articles and the book Reading Lolita in Tehran. Perhaps you interpreted my post as being against Muslims in particular. In actuality, I'm against theocracy, not Muslims. When I stated that I found it odd that they weren't already treating Jews and Christians like second-class citizens, it's because in a theocracy the religion in power will inevitably be privileged over all other religions. For this and many other reasons, I believe in separation of church and state. But again, I'm not in favor of exporting my values based on brute force.
    "Human society, they claimed, was a sort of monster, its main by-products being corpses and rubble. It never learned, it made the same cretinous mistakes over and over, trading short-term gain for long-term pain. It was like a giant slug eating its way relentlessly through all the other bioforms on the planet, grinding up life on earth and shitting it out the backside in the form of pieces of manufactured and soon-to-be-obsolete plastic junk." --Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake