about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   


Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 855 of 1008
  1. #841
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneCA View Post
    That's really funny. I work with some bitter, middle-aged single ladies, so it's not much better around here! It kind of makes me happy that my boyfriend and I don't exchange gifts for Valentine's Day. I know not to expect anything more than maybe flowers, and I won't have to deal with the older ladies at my work saying things like, "If you need someone to deter you from getting married, just ask me. I have stories that will keep you single forever." (One of them seriously said that to a newly engaged co-worker! She loves making similarly Debbie-Downer comments to me now that I'm in a relationship.)
    I've never understood the whole gift-giving thing at Valentine's Day, aside from maybe something little (I'm never going to complain about getting chocolate, on any day of the year!). I think it should be more about spending time with your SO, distraction-free, maybe do something a little different or special. But the materialistic side of it is lost on me.
    Taylor

    "Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,878
    I always say “I don’t need a Hallmark holiday to give gifts”, but last year I gave flowers to my GF for no reason, just some random Tuesday. She flipped, in a bad way – she thought I had done something bad and was just using them as the beginning of an apology.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"
    -Kay

  3. #843
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayl405 View Post
    I've never understood the whole gift-giving thing at Valentine's Day, aside from maybe something little (I'm never going to complain about getting chocolate, on any day of the year!). I think it should be more about spending time with your SO, distraction-free, maybe do something a little different or special. But the materialistic side of it is lost on me.
    I feel the same way! I view Valentine's Day as a reason to spend some fun alone time together and show my boyfriend that I love him -- but that's pretty much it! I'd never buy him a gift besides a card; it's not even a real holiday!

    Our anniversary is two days before Valentine's Day, and this year and last we went to a really nice dinner the evening of our anniversary (last year it was just a coincidence), so by the time Valentine's Day rolls around, we don't even feel like going out. Instead, we've created a tradition of buying nice cheeses, meats and breads and doing our own wine-and-cheese pairing. I love it, and it's way more relaxing, sweet and intimate than going out to a packed restaurant.

  4. #844
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    I know I say this in graphic language every year--BUT I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY!!

    I hate Valentine's Day with all of my black little heart. It makes me want to tear open my ribcage and pull my beating heart out with my bare hands as some sort of sacrifice. I wish that fucking little bastard Cupid would rip his own dick off and rape himself up the ass with it.

    I haven't had the urge so much this year to commit mayhem on the Walmart Valentine's candy aisle. Don't know if I'm getting old or ambivalent.

    Paul
    Yeah, I couldn't help getting a little depressed by it I was going ok, until people (strangers or ones I didn't know well, e.g. shop assistants and my doctor) started asking if I'd spent it with anyone special. The doctor got a couple of tears in answer to her question (I just couldn't hold them in), and one of the shop assistants asked if he could give me a hug, I guess after he saw my expression, lol.

    I can't really be opposed to a day that aims to celebrate love, but I've got to be honest, it did bring me down.

    I still have hope though.

  5. #845
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Posts
    11,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini14 View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't help getting a little depressed by it I was going ok, until people (strangers or ones I didn't know well, e.g. shop assistants and my doctor) started asking if I'd spent it with anyone special. The doctor got a couple of tears in answer to her question (I just couldn't hold them in), and one of the shop assistants asked if he could give me a hug, I guess after he saw my expression, lol.
    I want to cry for my lifetime of being crucified in the dating world, but I've been hurt too many times to cry anymore. Is that pathetic?

    Of course, I wake up this morning to find out that somebody I went out with a year ago (who also called it off after only two dates) is now in a relationship. For me, the nightmare never ends at 11:59 on the 14th.

    Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane
    Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

  6. #846
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,319
    Honestly, even though I knew yesterday was Valentine's Day, I didn't give it a second thought.

    Then I listened to the radio this morning, and a bunch of (married) guys were calling up and telling their horror stories of how their Valentine's Day went wrong/bad, and I got a chuckle. The grass isn't always greener.

    Ex: One guy said that he bought his wife some flowers and candy and had it sent to her office, and she was really happy. When they got home from work she said she was tired and didn't feel like doing anything that night, so she went to bed and he stayed up and watched some TV, so he didn't get lucky that night. At 4am, she woke up from a nightmare and started hitting him because she dreamed that he was cheating on her. So now he's getting hit for doing something he didn't even do, plus he didn't get laid.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

  7. #847
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,337
    Valentine's Day this year was seemingly quiet. I did not see any one making any grand gestures. One of coworkers gave everyone a heart shaped chocolate, though, which was a sweet gesture.

    I was away at an all day work meeting, so there was even less chatter about Valentine's Day. For me, I am neither happy nor sad about being single. I think it is lovely that couples celebrate it. And I think it is just as lovely to celebrate the single status. But even more so than anything, yesterday was just like any other day.

  8. #848
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritedaway View Post
    For me, I am neither happy nor sad about being single. I think it is lovely that couples celebrate it. And I think it is just as lovely to celebrate the single status. But even more so than anything, yesterday was just like any other day.
    I agree. As a single person, it's just another day for me. I don't get upset or anything about couples celebrating the day. Being single is my own choosing, so I would never fault anybody who wants to celebrate the day.

  9. #849
    I may actually start watching TV again after finishing the first season of The Walking Dead.

  10. #850
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Posts
    11,781

    angry

    If you seriously deny the Holocaust, they should ship you to Iran. Let's see how you like a real religious theocracy.

    If you deny the Holocaust, you're calling my dad a liar. He served his country with honor in World War II and he went to the concentration camps. He saw what happened!

    http://oaklawn.patch.com/articles/re...#photo-9215905

    Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane
    Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

  11. #851
    Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    If you seriously deny the Holocaust, they should ship you to Iran. Let's see how you like a real religious theocracy.

    If you deny the Holocaust, you're calling my dad a liar. He served his country with honor in World War II and he went to the concentration camps. He saw what happened!

    http://oaklawn.patch.com/articles/re...#photo-9215905

    Paul
    What an idiot. The Holocaust did happen.

  12. #852
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Posts
    11,781
    I love how everybody is upset now about "pink slime" in ground beef. A lot of my liberal friends are going nuts. "Ahhhhhhhh!! Horrible additives!! It's horrible food!"

    Folks, I've said this many times, but I'm forced to say it again--EVERYTHING is bad for you! Everything will cause cancer or heart disease or AIDS or bad posture. All the wonderful things in the world will kill you--unprotected sex, juicy red meat, yummy red apples, Rush Limbaugh sitting on you.

    Redd Foxx had it right: "I've been smoking 40 years. If I don't have cancer now, I probably have something that'll eat it up! Cancer better not fuck with my body! I mean that.

    "There's a lot of things worse than cancer. A six-foot-six black nationalist in an alley with a hatchet mad at you is worse than cancer!"



    Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane
    Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

  13. #853
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Costa Santana
    Posts
    2,402

    angry My productive day

    As nice as the weather was outside, I should not have left my apartment today. Because the better part of it was wasted waiting. Waiting in traffic because of an accident on the freeway that occurred within the 2 mile stretch between my onramp and the train station. Waiting at a 5 minute stoplight because of Caltrans's speedy construction progress. Waiting for an hour at the train station because of another accident (this time on the railway). Waiting for my slow office computer to communicate with the network server. Waiting another hour at the train station because of the Amtrak train's speedy progress coming down from Santa Barbara. And what do I get in reward for all my virtuous patience? A 47-hour weekend. Fuck this shit. I freaking hate mass transit.

    "I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know, everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold
    I'll be fine once I get it...I'll be good...."

    - Kid Cudi

  14. #854
    I've decided to stop helping those who don't want to help themselves including friends and family. I've tried to help family and friends to get work, but they decided not to. Fine, don't bitch when you say no one wants to help and you're at the job you hate.

    Several people in my family need counseling and need to stop bottling up frustration. They feel no one can help their emotions and instead take it out verbally on their family when they get angry and things don't go their way. We're your family, not your punching bags! But they're raised in an older generation where it's bad to seek help. If I didn't get counseling, I would've been dead or an addict of some type a long time ago.

    I stopped reading about anything political after it took a toll on my mental health. I enjoy nature more often.

    There aren't that many good films out there. I've seen plot holes in video games and stories and I wonder if the writers were writing scripts with swiss cheese with holes in them.

    That's my rant for the day...

  15. #855
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an island
    Posts
    15,839
    Quote Originally Posted by katar26 View Post
    I've decided to stop helping those who don't want to help themselves including friends and family. I've tried to help family and friends to get work, but they decided not to. Fine, don't bitch when you say no one wants to help and you're at the job you hate.

    Several people in my family need counseling and need to stop bottling up frustration. They feel no one can help their emotions and instead take it out verbally on their family when they get angry and things don't go their way. We're your family, not your punching bags! But they're raised in an older generation where it's bad to seek help. If I didn't get counseling, I would've been dead or an addict of some type a long time ago.

    I stopped reading about anything political after it took a toll on my mental health. I enjoy nature more often.

    There aren't that many good films out there. I've seen plot holes in video games and stories and I wonder if the writers were writing scripts with swiss cheese with holes in them.

    That's my rant for the day...
    I've found that age knows no limits when it comes to seeking help, and especially, no limits when it comes to blaming others for your problems.

    I also really don't like to get involved in politics because 99% of the time you end up arguing with an ignorant idiot who is not going to change their mind regardless what facts you have to back yourself up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •