about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
    My rant: You know it's Monday when the lid pops off your coffee and spills all over your laptop and everything else.

At least I'm still at Panera though, so I have access to more coffee .

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Rick Santorum is seriously pissing me off. How is it that Santorum can find all these women of loose morals everywhere--and I can't?

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

I just realized an answer to a question I had trouble answering 2 years ago.

If money wasn't an issue with life, I would just spend my life writing. Writing and reading was always something fun to do when I was a kid. My siblings and I used to read ghost stories at night, read adventure stories, etc... My favorite horror authors are Shelley, Stoker, Irving and Poe.

Reading was heavily encouraged in the family. There was a story that I had finished last year that started in 2002 and ended in 2011. It's gone through several re-writes and tweaking of characters. Now I have planned a series of 5 sequels for that story and that the story ends after the last one. No series of movies directed by Michael Bay, I pretty much want these to be graphic novels.

The story is pretty much a horror-action story inspired by Vampire$ by John Steakley, Ghostbusters and other stories. I meant for these stories to be comics since I am a comic book fan. There are cameos of characters from various films. I liked reading the old Tales from the Crypt comics, Creepy, vault of Horror, etc... and I will be getting into HP Lovecraft soon.

Despite being raised religious, I like reading horror stories.
    Last edited by katar26; 03-25-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Caps on one letter

At work...people on welfare are depending on me!
    This is sort of a rant about friends of mine ranting, so inherently ironic, but whatever.

I call them my friends, but this couple is more friends/neighbors of my cousins, and I've hung out with them before for trivia night but I stopped going because I was so tired of them complaining about the food every single time. These people are never, ever satisfied at any restaurant and I would say the "send it back" rate is about 50%. They practically do a 12-point inspection of every meal -- this isn't cooked enough, this is cooked too much, this isn't what I expected, the salad dressing is too thin, the salad dressing is too thick, this isn't this, this isn't that. I usually don't voice my displeasure with people, but one time I flat-out told them to JUST FUCKING EAT THE GOD DAMN FOOD. It honestly gave me a new-found appreciation of wait staff in general; I always sort of assumed a decent number of people are like me (I have never sent anything back in my entire life and don't really even look at the food before I eat it) so I always felt wait staff didn't have too bad a job. These friends changed that perception entirely.

Another story -- my cousin has a country club membership to one of the cheaper country clubs in the area, and he has to spend a certain amount on food per month as part of the membership. So he took these people there one time for dinner and the guy ordered a Texas-style steak and proceeded to bicker with the wait staff about how they made it wrong (he's from Texas). Fine, it's not what you expected. But don't tell people they made it wrong. That's like going to a McDonald's and getting upset that they won't make you a Whopper. That's how they make the steak, deal with it.

So on Saturday I was hanging out like usual at my cousin's, and they often put out an open invite on Facebook for people to come over. This couple shows up and the one lady didn't even put her purse down before she started bitching about her steak. Then the discussion turned to how "unlucky" they are with restaurants. IT'S NOT THEM, IT'S YOU. Usually I don't mind people complaining about stuff, I just roll with it, but this is the same basic rant every damn time I see these people.

I'm ranting about all the spammers that seemed to have creeped on here overnight! What's up? Go away!
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

Educational bureaucrats are an incessant pain in the ass. As a contractor with the county to run the local quizbowl league, I have to deal with this all the time. If I ask the simplest question, I get three lines of legalese, and my answer may be hidden in that fog somewhere. For God's sake, I'm not going to sue them for a split infinitive!

Our county championship runs on a seven-game double-elim bracket. Last year, we printed off a huge paper bracket for tournament purposes, about 10 feet long or so. The regionals tournament I'm running later this month works on the same bracket, so I wanted to see if the organization could print it and make them a little extra money.

So I ask my boss about it. "We don't do the printing, the tech school does, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah." It's no wonder I'm constantly exhausted anymore--I'm the one who has to read this shit!

This is the same group of people who kept complaining to me, "Oh nos!! The state is cutting our budget 15% this year!!" I'm not even a registered voter of the state of Ohio--what the hell do they expect me to do about it?!

So I offer to help, as I will do. "Could we pursue a sponsorship for the league?"

"We can't do that."

"Why?"

"Because we can't do that."

"Why?"

"Because we can't do that."

It's like trying to talk to a two-year-old!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bocheezu View Post
    I call them my friends, but this couple is more friends/neighbors of my cousins, and I've hung out with them before for trivia night but I stopped going because I was so tired of them complaining about the food every single time. These people are never, ever satisfied at any restaurant and I would say the "send it back" rate is about 50%. They practically do a 12-point inspection of every meal -- this isn't cooked enough, this is cooked too much, this isn't what I expected, the salad dressing is too thin, the salad dressing is too thick, this isn't this, this isn't that. I usually don't voice my displeasure with people, but one time I flat-out told them to JUST FUCKING EAT THE GOD DAMN FOOD. It honestly gave me a new-found appreciation of wait staff in general; I always sort of assumed a decent number of people are like me (I have never sent anything back in my entire life and don't really even look at the food before I eat it) so I always felt wait staff didn't have too bad a job. These friends changed that perception entirely.
    Oh I can't stand people like this. If they are that picky, why do they even go out to eat in the first place? If it's such a miserable experience for them, they should just stay home and cook their own food. Then if it's lousy, they can only blame themselves. Some people just can't be pleased, no matter how hard you try.

Another story -- my cousin has a country club membership to one of the cheaper country clubs in the area, and he has to spend a certain amount on food per month as part of the membership. So he took these people there one time for dinner and the guy ordered a Texas-style steak and proceeded to bicker with the wait staff about how they made it wrong (he's from Texas). Fine, it's not what you expected. But don't tell people they made it wrong. That's like going to a McDonald's and getting upset that they won't make you a Whopper. That's how they make the steak, deal with it.
    First of all, he should be grateful that your cousin is nice enough to treat him out and just keep his mouth shut. Second of all, if you're from Texas, and you had any common sense, you would know that no steak is ever going to be as good as what you can get in your home state. So you just except that, enjoy your food and be grateful that you've been treated to a place where you wouldn't even be able to eat if it wasn't for a member inviting you.

idea

I don't know how much of a rant this is, but I had a bit of a revelation recently. I was more politically active in my mid-20's, more involved in campaigns, etc. I dreamed of trying to carve out a political career. Then I wound up inside a campaign and got burned within a matter of weeks, so I gave up trying to be involved.

But lately, I've started looking at it differently. The first is living here in Youngstown. This is a city that desperately needs more people to be involved politically, especially those not tied to the local political machine. I wonder what, if anything, anybody at the local level is doing to stop the permanent decline of this city.

I like it here, and I'm tired of being passive. I want to do something, and even if I only live here until I graduate from my program, I still live here and I have the right to be heard! This is a very blue-collar town where workers still understand what the struggle is about. I can find a place for myself here.

Second, I'm sick of this endless misogynistic tide in America. This election is my theocratic nightmare come to life. I'm sick of right-wing Bible-bashers trying to regulate women's vaginas but giving everyone else a pass. I'm sick, I'm sick, I'm sick of Obama not calling BS on this (because Harry Truman would, and Truman wouldn't bat an eye!), I'm sick of America's corporate media not calling BS on this, and I'm sick of the Republican Party not calling BS on their own kind.

But I got to thinking about it, and I realized, "Yeah, I can be pissed off all I want (I could be pissed on, but I'm not into golden showers. ), but nobody's going to listen to me."

We still have some semblance of democracy in America--granted, the corporations under Citizens United can buy as much of it as they want. But if I want to call the plays, it's not going to do me any good to sit and call potshots. I've got to get out there in the scrum and start doing.

So I plan to go register to vote here tomorrow; I've been registered in my hometown in Missouri. I was afraid to be active here because I wasn't registered in Ohio. But when I do, Ohio's problems become mine. That also means I have the right (and indeed the responsibility) to try to help fix them. That's what America is supposed to be about.

Paul

At work...people on welfare are depending on me!
    A minor rant about everybody's favorite experience, the DMV. In Michigan, it's called the Secretary of State. I went there a week ago to get an enhanced driver's license so I could go to Canada. It's strange how every Secretary of State operates differently and how some of them have such archaic processing.

The newer ones usually sort people out of the big line (my cousin calls it "the triage line") and categorize them into smaller lines based on what they need, which works pretty well and will get you in and out of there pretty quickly. The new ones also have kiosks for renewing vehicle registration, so you just go up to them, pay, and it spits out your sticker.

The one I went to last week had none of that. One big line, WITHOUT A NUMBER MACHINE, and no sorting. They had all these rows of seats with no one in them because, without a number machine, everyone had to stay in line. Also: they did not accept Visa. WTF? They accepted everything else: Mastercard, AMEX, Discovery, etc. but no Visa. I've never heard of that in my life. Luckily, I brought my checkbook. The one good thing was there weren't many there and I only had to wait in line about 30 mins.

EDIT: It's always fun to listen to the people there while standing in line. I overheard a mid 20s woman say how she was getting her license because, after driving since she was 13, she figured she'd "get it taken care of."
    Last edited by Bocheezu; 04-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.

A minor rant about everybody's favorite experience, the DMV. In Michigan, it's called the Secretary of State. I went there a week ago to get an enhanced driver's license so I could go to Canada. It's strange how every Secretary of State operates differently and how some of them have such archaic processing.
    In Missouri, it's the Department of Revenue. Last I checked, they weren't going after moonshiners! When I had my license renewed in St. Louis, I went to the office, and the place looked like a cross between Cheyenne Mountain and a lottery drawing.

Paul

EDIT: It's always fun to listen to the people there while standing in line. I overheard a mid 20s woman say how she was getting her license because, after driving since she was 13, she figured she'd "get it taken care of."
    The DMV nearest me here in Alabama has big signs everywhere in the waiting room that say NO TALKING. So there are several dozen people in the waiting room at all times and we are not allowed to talk to each other while we wait for our number to be called. WTF? When we moved here and I went to get my license my daughter was 3 months old and I had to bring her along. Try telling a 3 month old to be quiet while you wait for 45 minutes for your turn. At least she was not crying, she was happy and was just babbling. But since NO one else was talking it was kind of nerve-wracking for me. Everyone stared at us (because there was literally nothing else to look at/listen to).

Thank goodness for license renewals we can just go to the satellite office to pay the fee and get our new license. Talking IS allowed. And the line is much much shorter. I don't suppose I will have to go back to the main office until my kids need to get licenses in 10 years.

Thank goodness that in California, I can do license/registration renewals online. It costs a ton of money, but I never have to go to that God-awful DMV. I've had the same picture on my license since I moved here.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

The newer ones usually sort people out of the big line (my cousin calls it "the triage line") and categorize them into smaller lines based on what they need, which works pretty well and will get you in and out of there pretty quickly. The new ones also have kiosks for renewing vehicle registration, so you just go up to them, pay, and it spits out your sticker.

The one I went to last week had none of that. One big line, WITHOUT A NUMBER MACHINE, and no sorting. They had all these rows of seats with no one in them because, without a number machine, everyone had to stay in line. Also: they did not accept Visa. WTF? They accepted everything else: Mastercard, AMEX, Discovery, etc. but no Visa. I've never heard of that in my life. Luckily, I brought my checkbook. The one good thing was there weren't many there and I only had to wait in line about 30 mins.

I know I shouldn't be shocked because I know better, but it just continually amazes me how much common sense the government lacks and how hard they make things. I mean Visa is one of the most used, if not the most used credit card out there, yet they won't accept it?? I'd like to talk to the person who actually made this decision and just ask them straight up why would you accept everything EXCEPT Visa? Tell me your logic and reasoning behind this thinking. These decision makers probably gather in a small room and say ok if we accept all the major credit cards, we'd be making it too easy and efficient for people. As a government agency, we can't be seen in that light. Gentlemen, how do we make it so we look and act like a typical government agency? Well Sir, how about we just except every major credit card except Visa? Brilliant Johnson, brilliant! Just so frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
    Thank goodness that in California, I can do license/registration renewals online. It costs a ton of money, but I never have to go to that God-awful DMV. I've had the same picture on my license since I moved here.
    Surprisingly, Ohio is like that too. One of the few progressive things they do. We starting to catch up with you guys, lol. Give us another 50 years or so and we'll be right there with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
    I'd like to talk to the person who actually made this decision and just ask them straight up why would you accept everything EXCEPT Visa? Tell me your logic and reasoning behind this thinking.
    I hate to defend these pricks, but I'm willing to bet they have a VERY good reason for not accepting Visa.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"