about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I hate 90% of my co-workers

I don't like talking to them, and wish they would leave me alone.

They make stupid small talk ALL DAY. If I hear one more comment about the weather, or the new fad, or reality show, or whatever everyone in offices are talking about this week, I'm going to come back with an oozie tomorrow.

I have the same boring, substance-less conversation 10 times every day. Answer the same questions. Same questions. Same questions. Same questions. Same questions.

They stand in my office and tell me about their children, whom I could care less about, for what seems like hours.

The conversation pauses, and they repeat the same thing they just said, just to say something. ("Go Away Now!" I'm thinking. "I Hate You")

I even turn around and start working, but they keep talking.

I can see their corny jokes coming a mile away, and have to keep from rolling my eyes when it finally makes its way into the open. "hehe, your not witty!"

Everyone is so awkward when we pass eachother in the cubi-halls: "do I make eye-contact? smile? say something?" And I can read the discomfort on their face. I've just started starring straight ahead as I pass, not saying a word. Not so much for my own comfort, but so I don't have to witness theirs.

And our office is sooooo quiet, I can hear every personal conversation everyone is having. The person next to me is in debt and has to sell her house. The receptionist has 3 kids with behavioral problems and a husband who doesn't care. The mail person is having an affair.

Now all the women have decided to wear shoes that flip-flop. Back and forth outside my office all day. Flip-flop right, then flip-flop left...then flip-flop right. Do you know how annoying that is for 8 hours every day? Like goddamn chinese water torture! They should ban those damn things.

Plus I have a mirror over my computer screen, so I can see each and every one of them gaze into my office as they pass. "This is none of your damn business, so move along". Nosey pricks.

Oh well, I've done it for years, and I'll do it for another day tomorrow.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"
    -Kay

You're a real sweetheart. If you were in my workplace, I'd not bother with you, because you either don't come off as very friendly or appealing to begin with, or you come off as fake friendly, thereby making people think it's okay to chat with you.

I personally like knowing the other people in my workplace as individuals. It makes the entire environment more open and pleasant.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

You need a vacation.
    There's sunshine in a smile!

Read Dilbert. It brings all of that into perspective each day.

There's something that can be said about a person who is at least somewhat decent and respectful to their co-workers. There's also something that can be said about someone who is the opposite and it ain't very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith
    You're a real sweetheart. If you were in my workplace, I'd not bother with you, because you either don't come off as very friendly or appealing to begin with, or you come off as fake friendly
    well, you don't know a damn thing about me besides what I vent onto this board, and most of those times i'm in a bad mood, so your opinion means very little.

people talk to me so much because i am so friendly. it's just getting old after several years.

i've never worked with a more boring, monotonous, good-time-deprived group of people in my life.

its getting to me, and pretty soon i'm going to become the person you blindly assume i am.

(thanks for not judging, though)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"
    -Kay

Quote Originally Posted by KCboy
    well, you don't know a damn thing about me besides what I vent onto this board, and most of those times i'm in a bad mood, so your opinion means very little.

people talk to me so much because i am so friendly. it's just getting old after several years.

i've never worked with a more boring, monotonous, good-time-deprived group of people in my life.

its getting to me, and pretty soon i'm going to become the person you blindly assume i am.

Here's the thing...you're judged by the persona you present. If post about hating people, bad mood or no, you come off as hateful. And it's asinine to just use this place as a spot to rage, because there are actually people here who do value the community and interaction, even if it's just a dumping ground for you. If you post like a mean, negative jerk, you'll get treated like a mean, negative jerk. Call assumptions blind all you want; you're the one providing all the fodder for the assumptions.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Quote Originally Posted by KCboy

Dude, first take a chill.

Now, you put yourself out there and ranted about your co-workers. The people who responded rightfully stated that your coworkers are probably not the problem, and that maybe it would be nice to be a little more curteous.

You can blame grumpiness on a bad mood, but you can't blame outright hating people on it...that's a little out there. So, don't be surprised when people tell you so.
    Old man, look at my life. I'm a lot like you were.

http://www.myspace.com/playconcertkey

To me, he just sounded like the little things were getting to him. That's when you take off, go to a nice sports bar, and grab a few beers. OR take off, go someplace tropical, order some rum-based fruity concoctions, and forget all about them!
    There's sunshine in a smile!

I guess I would just be more sympathetic if said coworkers were being dicks or persecuting him, or something. But that was a lot of hostility for the stuff he went on to describe, pretty petty complaints, at the most.

I always like it when there is any kind of small talk at work, regardless of what it is. It is nice to know who your co-workers are and what their life is like outside of work. Also, if people are chatting it up a lot of the day, this means that slacking off is tolerated. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nikorock28
    Also, if people are chatting it up a lot of the day, this means that slacking off is tolerated. I like that.
    Try that in one of the two buildings I work in...in one, you'd get away with it, the other...well I swear the freaking world was coming to an end (and this is my main bldg). It's funny though, because at my main bldg, we're watched like HAWKS and every little thing gets us in trouble. Talking to your co-worker in a different dept (if you're a peon like me) will get you turned in to your supervisor. The big shits can do it anywhere from 10-30 minutes, and no one says a word. The other bldg....you can pretty much do anything as long as you get your shit done.
    "When I wake up in the morning, I have a choice to make. I can either be an example or an excuse." -Unknown

It is spelled uzi by the way, an "oozie" is what you have in the morning after awakening from one of your furry fantasy dreams.

I think its ok to rant about our coworkers every once in a while. I've done it. If you havent, bully for you. Is it fair to make assumptions on how a person is based on a rant? I'd hope not.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

No assumptions are fair, they're based on what information is there. But it's foolish to think they won't be formed, and to cry about it when you've presented an unflattering front and others respond accordingly.