about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Withholding College Transcripts

Does Anyone have experience getting a college to remove a hold/release a transcript and/or know the legalities surrounding this?
    Woman Traversing great obstacles by faithfully following her own compass

Wait are you saying that your school won't release your transcripts?

Do you owe them money? That's the only reason I've ever heard of a school not releasing transcripts, defaulted loans to the school. It's as close as they can come to revoking a degree, I guess. I know my former local community college put a hold on any transcripts, if you had any type of outstanding balance with them.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Yeah, I think if you owe them $$$$, most colleges have a policy that they will hold your transcripts. I'm sure you could consult an attorney and find out what your rights are, if any, regarding this matter.

You might just want to call and ask someone why they put a hold on your transcripts. I know that in the state I went to college in we were required to take a standardized test after a certain number of hours and I think if we didnt take it they held our transcripts. So it could always be something like that too. I would just ask.

I am asking if anyone has gotten a hold removed/transcript released, not why holds are placed in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenon
    I am asking if anyone has gotten a hold removed/transcript released, not why holds are placed in general.
    I think that knowing why you got the hold to begin with is a legitimate question. No need to be snotty, but then again, why am I not surprised that was your response when people were only trying to help.

Yes, by paying my bill.
    "Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." ~Ben Franklin

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by cheshrcarol
    Yes, by paying my bill.
    Ha!

Just to echo other posters, having worked at colleges your xscript is commonly held if you have an outstanding bursar balance (unpaid tuition, library books that have not been returned, an unpaid library fee). To get a definitive answer, ask Student Accounts/Registrar's office who put the hold on, and that department will tell you what you need to do to remove it.

Yes, thank you cameralady, I was checking to see if anyone on the board had an experience dealing with one of those offices in this situation. I have spoken with them serveral times. I was just hoping to compare experiences to perhaps gain some knowledge.

And in case someone later finds this thread who is looking for information on such a situation. You can often negoitate a settlement with the college, you just need to do research and speak to the correct person. And you will get a much better settlement from a collection agency than the college, if you have a balance that has been sent to collections.

At the two institutions I attended, the hold would be released upon payment of some percentage of the total bill owed. Both times I had to go through the bursar's office. They told me the reason for the hold, the amount owed to release the hold, and arranged for some sort of payment. In one instance, I had a parking ticket and that had to be paid through the parking office, who could also release the hold upon payment.

Good luck!

I was just hoping to compare experiences to perhaps gain some knowledge.
    When you wont tell us why the transcripts are being held, we have no idea how to help. That's a pretty major piece of info you are withholding.
    "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

I watch you grow away from me in photographs
    And memories like spies
    The salt betrays my eyes again