about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Teachers-Masters plus 30 graduate hours....

I am an ESL teacher with a MA in TESOL. I want to work towards my plus 30 graduate hours. First, because it will get me higher on the pay scale. Second, because maybe I can get another certification/or courses under my belt to make me more marketable etc.

I've thought about working towards a second Masters because I don't want to have just a bunch of courses/credits floating around, but some people I have chatted with even my own boss has said, 'Why get a second Masters, just get a PhD."

Since I already have a Masters...could someone tell me how much more work a PhD would be? Is the difference the thesis paper?

How does one pick the PhD?

I am very interested in a few areas of education.....
    1. International/Comparative Education/Global Studies in Education.
    2. ESL/Bilingual Education
    3. Instructional Technology
    4. Reading (not so much as the others)

Does anyone know of a PhD that would combine...these esp....the top three..? I've thought about a PhD in Langauge, Literacy and Culture...that would be pretty close....

Some of my main goals in education.....to continue teaching children, teach ESL/reading to adults on the community college/university level, (Maybe teach new teachers how to teach ESL), learn more about what other countries are doing in education/how does it compare to what we are doing here, develop curriculum/software in ESL, write articles about education....etc.

Would a PhD qualify me to do these things?

Does anyone know of any Colleges/Universities that are "real" (made of birck/stone) that offer PhD progams online or at a distance...?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
    Jamie

Frankly, I would not get a Ph. D. unless you absolutely want one. A Ph. D. will take up three to five years of your life, and there are so many obstacles that can get in the way (e. g. research funding, deadends, etc.). For teaching, I really don't see how it's necessary, unless you want to do it at the university level. I know that in some districts, a Ph. D. will get a higher salary, but it is usually only a couple thousand or so...much less than the annual "step" increases. Community college professors usually do not need a Ph. D., either.

In terms of "online" schools, I really would not recommend it, since unlike many master's degrees, a Ph. D. is research rather than classroom oriented, and the guidance you would need from an advisor will not be there. Also, few organizations take Ph. D.'s from online schools seriously.
    Last edited by yankeeyosh; 01-04-2008 at 04:17 PM.

I'd suggest doing some searches at nearby or relevant universities to see if they have a program that you like, and then check out the curriculum. PhD's are serious business, and they often require a full-time committment. Personally, I'd rather get a second masters. I don't know about education PhD's, only Communications and Media PhD's, and those are not something you can do in your spare time. They take around 4-5 years depending on the school, with the first 2-4 being devoted to full-time classes and the rest you'll spend teaching and working on your dissertation. It's basically like going to undergrad all over again but harder.

A PhD program is going to be different for different fields, and at different schools...but based on my experience living with my husband while he worked on his PhD, a PhD is WAY more work than a master's. He got his master's in two years...then the PhD took FIVE more years of being a full-time student. I think a PhD is the sort of thing you do because you REALLY want to do - not something to be undertaken lightly. I know in my husband's case the only thing that kept him going a lot of the time was the knowledge that he could only get the sort of job he really wanted if he had that PhD.

Now that he's done, though, he's definitely enjoying the rewards. Having a PhD vs. a master's made a world of difference in the job opportunities that were available to him (and the salary he now earns!) I stopped with my master's in a similar field, and he now earns 1.5 times what I was making at the point I went on maternity leave. So you have to look at the time/effort investment and make sure that what you're going to get out of the degree is worth it.

I don't know of any schools that offer a distance learning PhD program, but that's not to say they're not out there. Are there any schools in your city that you could attend? Or at least use as a starting place to ask someone about distance learning opportunities at other schools?

Good luck!

With a masters' plus thirty you top out as a teacher in my district. I think the salary is $85k when you max out. The only reason you would want your Ph.D is if you want to become a superintendent. A simple master's in School Administration plus passing the Praxis gets you a principal gig and they top out in the six digit salary area.
    I swam down sh!#s creek and came up clean
    with a new lease on life like Andy Dufresne

Jay Electronica- Exhibit A

If you wanted to do instructional tech you could look for a certificate program. My school has a completely online doctorate program in addition to the master's program. It also offers a certificate program in instructional tech. If you want to teach ESL, you could try to get a gig at a community college and then decide if you want to continue for the Ed.D. Try googling instructional technology programs or educational technology.
    "Religion is a subject on which I have ever been most scrupulously reserved. I have considered it as a matter between every man and his Maker in which no other, and far less the public, had a right to intermeddle."
    --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Rush, 1813.