about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Non-drinking Activities

Perhaps I missed the memo about leaving the college lifestyle and "settling down" over the past three years, but its on my resolution list for 2009. What activities do you do socially on the weekend or during the week that don't involve drinking? Do you meet new people at these activities? I have thought about things like going to see movies and art activities, but that still leaves a lot of time at night or on the weekends.

Cheers,
    Justin

Photography, art gallery openings, roller derby, concerts, bowling, rock climbing, sledding, pot luck dinners, movie nights/marathons, conventions (classic cars, new cars, boat show, home show, gadgets, anime, etc etc etc etc)......

There are plenty of things you can do to meet people or involve people that has nothing to do with drinking.

Salsa and Swing Dancing.

attending an AA meeting?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"
    -Kay

^^^^Ha, ha, ha!

Sign up at Meetup.com. They have different groups for people who like different things in your neck of the wood. Examples of groups that Meetup has are biking, indie movies, knitting, sushi, cooking...they may even have a QLC meetup group! An organizer of a group sets up an event to meet up in person and do an activity that they all share. Other members of the group RSVP.

I go to a games boards meetup in my area. Each month, we meet up at Fuddruckers and we play all kinds of board games for four hours. It's a great way to meet people, and also if you are on the more shy side or are socially inept, the game prevents any awkward silences as people are more immersed in the game than trying to impress others.

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by cab
    Sign up at Meetup.com. They have different groups for people who like different things in your neck of the wood. Examples of groups that Meetup has are biking, indie movies, knitting, sushi, cooking...they may even have a QLC meetup group! An organizer of a group sets up an event to meet up in person and do an activity that they all share. Other members of the group RSVP.
    Meetups are great. Except when your group organizer doesn't organize a Meetup for four months and suddenly drops the group. Like what happened with my cooking Meetup.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

I completely sympathize about groups disbanding..it happened to my sushi group!

That's when you should take over and revive the Meetup group!

Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez
    Meetups are great. Except when your group organizer doesn't organize a Meetup for four months and suddenly drops the group. Like what happened with my cooking Meetup.

Paul
    Meetups are great...unless you live in a rural/otherwise remote area. In my previous locale, there was exactly ONE meetup group in a 40 mile radius...and it was for chihuahua owners.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

I highly recommend volunteering to fill the time. It's a great way to get to know other people and feel good about yourself while getting to know other people. Before I went back to school and moved I volunteered only three hours a week and made some good friends with other volunteers and got close to some of the people I worked with as well.

Just make sure you don't over-commit and to pick an organization you feel passionate about.
    Q: What do you get when you cross a postmodernist with a mafia boss?
    A: An offer you can't understand.

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith
    Meetups are great...unless you live in a rural/otherwise remote area. In my previous locale, there was exactly ONE meetup group in a 40 mile radius...and it was for chihuahua owners.
    Yo quiero Taco Bell??

There were several Meetup groups near where I grew up, but they all had maybe two or three members. The next county up from me (strongly Republican) had a Democrat Meetup. In a county of 80,000, the most they could muster was about two members. Kind of odd, considering it was the Howard Dean campaign that put Meetup on the map in the first place. As I well remember.

Quote Originally Posted by KCboy
    attending an AA meeting?
    "My name is Joe. I'm not an alcoholic--I'm just here to pick up chicks."
    "Hi, Joe!"

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

Quote Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater
    I highly recommend volunteering to fill the time. It's a great way to get to know other people and feel good about yourself while getting to know other people. Before I went back to school and moved I volunteered only three hours a week and made some good friends with other volunteers and got close to some of the people I worked with as well.

Just make sure you don't over-commit and to pick an organization you feel passionate about.
    This is such a good idea. Not only can you meet friends, but you can also gain some valuable work experience. For a year, I volunteered in a domestic violence shelter to figure out whether I wanted to get into social work. And a year later when I was looking for a paid position, I was hired by another organization because I had experience in working with domestic violence survivors and they were interested in starting a domestic violence program.