about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Baby talk' is annoying & sounds STOOPID!

Does anyone cringe when people go "gagah" over babies and put on baby voices!? I think adults putting on baby voices, baby-talking does not sound cute but completely and utterly STUPID! It's juvenile and when adults baby-talk it looks...emm ...... pathetic! If I had my way, I'd tell these adults they look stupid!

Does anyone agree!?
    "The harder you fall, the higher you bounce!"

Going thru QLC - check the below link out & be aware!

http://didut.nomadlife.org/2005/04/2...read-this.aspx

Are you talking about talking TO babies? Most of the time, silly voices and faces make babies laugh. That's why people do it.

That said, I'm not a big fan of baby talk. Kids (who are developmentally typical, anyway) learn to talk soooo much faster if they are not regularly baby-talked to. Development occurs largely through mimicry, and if you want your kids to talk well and early, talk to them like people the majority of the time.

Truth be known, I'm more annoyed by people who babytalk to their pets. Or treat their pets like human babies. Or actually full-out say, "My [dog/cat/tortoise/whatever) is my bayyyyybeee." I get it. You like your pet. But, no, it's not the equivalent of a human baby, and nobody else thinks it is.
    Last edited by wordsmith; 02-07-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

koolkat, i know what you mean - sometimes stupid, sometimes cute - depends on that fickle entity known as the mood (mine, not the baby's).

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith
    Truth be known, I'm more annoyed by people who babytalk to their pets. Or treat their pets like human babies. Or actually full-out say, "My [dog/cat/tortoise/whatever) is my bayyyyybeee." I get it. You like your pet. But, no, it's not the equivalent of a human baby, and nobody else thinks it is.
    To be completely honest, right now I'm at the point where I really can't help but to talk to animals in a lolcat-type language

I blame the internet.

"I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know, everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold
    I'll be fine once I get it...I'll be good...."

- Kid Cudi

What even makes me feel sicker - is when people 'baby-talk' to their spouse because they think they're cutesy-wootsy when in actual fact they look lame! CRINGE! Get me a bucket!
    "The harder you fall, the higher you bounce!"

Going thru QLC - check the below link out & be aware!

http://didut.nomadlife.org/2005/04/2...read-this.aspx

oh lighten up, people! there's a time & a place for intellectually stimulating adult conversations. but let me just say i've reached for the bucket myself more often than not in these situations... & i am sure i made others vomit too at other times...

Quote Originally Posted by 1977
    there's a time & a place for intellectually stimulating adult conversations.
    Yes. I like to think of it as "most of my waking hours."
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

i reserve mine for the pets.

"I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know, everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold
    I'll be fine once I get it...I'll be good...."

- Kid Cudi

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Make it "all of my waking hours" for me.
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

So does that mean your participation in this forum is during your sleeping hours only then? sorry, couldn't help myself!

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by 1977
    So does that mean your participation in this forum is during your sleeping hours only then? sorry, couldn't help myself!
    I'm constantly tired, so I might as well be asleep when I post anyway.
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

erg

One of my cousins used to be so bad at 2 w/ the baby talk that I had to ask an older sibling to translate. My mom would not allow people to talk to us in non-words when we were little. But the tone the funny faces, thats just part of connecting with a baby's emotions; I used to do alot of baby photography, and you got a short attention span to work with, so exaggeration just goes hand in hand with getting a baby's attention.

I am guilty of baby talking to my bird though. Although he knows words (night night, food, get some bread, water, bath, chew, come on) he just is amused by certain sounds and j, z, and p sounds, so zheh, zheh! and purdy, purdy, and other nonsense words and sounds, I often use.

I have a newborn and talking in a certain "tone" is just part of the bonding. I don't "baby" down most of the conversation though.

We also have dogs and we don't use "baby talk" with them, but definitely consider them part of the family. ETA: Since our son came along though, I have noticed we give our 2 pugs a lot less attention and have a lot less patience for their "antics". Oh well.

I get that there are people out there who aren't into babies/pets. At this point in my life though, I don't surround myself with people like that anymore. For the most part, most of the people I see socially have children/pets.

Not something I went out of my way to seek out, but it tends to just happen if this is where you are in your life.
    Last edited by winneythepooh7; 02-07-2009 at 10:59 AM.

My nephew was born 10 months ago, and it's only recently that there have been utterances of getting rid of their dog. I was surprised.