about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mid 20's Growth Spurt?

Some information about me, I am a 25 year guy who was just under 5'10. I drink 2 percent milk pretty regularly and enjoy it. About 2 months ago, I started craving milk like crazy. There were a couple of days where I realized I drank and entire gallon by myself. I was at my parents house running down my steps to get something, when I clocked myself on the living room ceiling. I couldn't figure out why this would happen, and then I thought about all the milk and leg pain I was having, which I thought was because of all of the running I had been doing. I measured myself. 5'10 and a quarter inch! I always felt guilty saying 5'10, when in my mind I knew it was not true, but it is now official.

Is this common, has anyone else experienced anything like this? It seems to have stopped, I was really hoping to get some more!

Are you sure it's not just improved posture, or something?
    The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is. - Kurt Vonnegut

Yes, I am sure it is legit.

Well it's my understanding that once the growth areas of your bones fuse you're done growing, so I doubt the milk has anything to do with it.

I'm still gonna guess it's related to musculature and posture, especially if you've been working out more often than normal.
    The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is. - Kurt Vonnegut

I grew about 1/4th of an inch in college when I'd stopped growing by 12-13 years old otherwise. I think it's possible to grow a tiny bit in your 20s, especially if you're male. I'd get it checked out by a doctor to be sure though.
    Q: What do you get when you cross a postmodernist with a mafia boss?
    A: An offer you can't understand.

According to what I found online you cant continue to grow in your 20's.

Sam, let me clarify. I do not think that just randomly drinking milk will make anyone grow, I felt that because I was growing my body was craving calcium, which is why I drank so much.

I grew an inch in college, and I also went up a cup size. I was very athletic and had delayed puberty as a result (though I could, at that time, seriously compete with any teenage boy in an eating contest, especially if it involved hot dogs or fried chicken). I didn't have my first period until I was almost 16 years old.

Typically, in women, the onset of first menstruation (menarche) closes the epiphysis, or the end of the bone, so once you get your period, there's little or no increase in height. The timing and process can be different for athletes or women with eating disorders, however. For men, it's not true that you can't grow in your 20s. I have never heard of men growing in their mid-20s, but my dad went to college with a guy who had a growth spurt and went from "shorter than average" to "taller than average."

If you just Google "growth spurt," you're gonna get a lot of bunk answers from yahoos (and Yahoo answers). Look at some medical studies and endocrinology journals to learn more. It's pretty interesting.

It's also possible that a quarter-inch change can be attributed to posture, as others have suggested!
    Last edited by gemma-dahl; 07-01-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Oh no! My very slim hope of growing another quarter of a inch or so just got crushed.

OK. Seriously, I figured I'm not going to grow taller anymore (I'd actually read something similar before) but I'd really like to be just a bit taller since I don't and can't wear high heels (hurts my knees), which is odd considering I'm fairly athletic! It's still a good reminder...

Quote Originally Posted by gemma-dahl
    Typically, in women, the onset of first menstruation (menarche) closes the epiphysis, or the end of the bone, so once you get your period, there's little or no increase in height.

I wouldnt post on here if I was not sure if it was just about posture.

Men do at times continue to grow into their twenties. Both of my brothers attained their adult heights during college, pretty regulated and measured because they were each college athletes. My sister and I, by contrast, hit our adult heights in 5th grade (me, at 5'10") and junior high (her, at 5'11") respectively. We each went through puberty much earlier than the boys in our family, which is pretty standard. My brothers still looked like kids in high school, we looked more or less like women.

If you hit a final growth spurt, I doubt the milk drinking was the cause; it's more likely that the rapid body growth caused you to crave the nutrients more.
    Last edited by wordsmith; 07-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

I hope you enjoy your quarter inch, because now you're going to spend the rest of your days shrinking as gravity impacts your spinal column.

Quote Originally Posted by gemma-dahl View Post
    Typically, in women, the onset of first menstruation (menarche) closes the epiphysis, or the end of the bone, so once you get your period, there's little or no increase in height.
    Not always true, though. I got my period at 12, and when I was 17 and got some x-rays after a car wreck (I was not driving!), the growth plates were still showing so at that time I was still able to have a growth spurt if the hormones or whatever had lined up for one. The doctor did point out that it was a little unusual for a girl my age but he didn't seem worried.

The only way to know for sure is by x-ray.

Wordsmith - I agree, I said that I felt the growing caused me to crave calcium.

Rage - You are just a ray of sunshine. Hope having that type of attitude works out for ya.

Pituitary disorders can also cause people to grow at older ages. If you keep growing might want to get it checked out.

I grew in my 20s, from approx 5 6"1/2" - 5"9" in my very early 20s. My body changed a lot also.

I've always put this down to the fact that I had extraordinarily poor nutrition / possibly an undiagnosed eating disorder for a short period in high school and likely stunted my growth (I was about 85 pound and 5"5 at my lowest) which then began again once my body got back to normal.

But here's the odd thing - I had the growth plate x-ray at 12 for orthodontics - and it told me I'd be 5"3 (I remember being rather peeved as my shortest parent is 5"7). There's a heck of a lot of difference there.

Might need to look in to that pituitary thing?