quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    OK here's what I have simmering on my stove right now and it smells delish:

Creamy Curry Pumpkin Soup:

2 Tablespoons of butter
    1 onion chopped (carmelize the onions before adding other ingredients)

1 teaspoon of chopped garlic (I added extra)
    2 teaspoons of yellow curry powder (I substituded red curry paste I had in the fridge from a recipe last week)
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1/4 teaspoon of pepper (I added extra)
    2 small cans of chicken broth
    1 large can of plain pumpkin puree (not the sweetened pumpkin pie filling) (I used 2 small cans....)
    1 can of coconut milk (I used 2 cups of organic cocount milk that they sell next to the soy milk)

mix everything together and cook for 20 minutes.........
    Thank you

I am going to make this sometime this season.
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

The soup came out really good, however, next time I would probably put less curry paste in. It was VERY spicy.

In fact, I think next time I may just try making it without.

I made it tonight, with curry powder rather than paste, and it's fragrant and well-seasoned, but not too hot.

I wonder if it would work well to sub in vegetable broth for the chicken. I really like it and would like to make it when we have a couple we hang out with over, but the wife's not a meat-eater. I imagine it wouldn't make much of a difference.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    So I'm making some of my own chili right now. With plenty of kidney beans. Mmmmmmmmmmm. I have to have chili with beans. No exceptions!

I'm using lean 93/7 ground beef. I prefer to use 85/15; the extra fat adds a little flavor. But I wanted to cut out some calories. Give me some credit. You cook two pounds of that.

I use the Carroll Shelby mix, which has a nice bag of spices, salt, cayenne pepper and masa, which is essentially Mexican corn flour. You add the beef (or any other meat as you prefer), tomato sauce (I use two cans of diced tomatoes), and water. You can add beans; I use one can of medium chili beans.

You use the spices and the salt to taste. You use as much cayenne powder as you want to get it as hot as you like. I like mine medium, so I use half of the cayenne packet. The masa is optional; if you like thicker chili, you put the masa in about 1/3 cup of water and pour it in the chili.

You turn the chili up on high heat until the chili starts to boil, then you simmer for 15 minutes (or 20 if you used the masa flour).

I'll make some cornbread muffins with that, and that makes me dinner for about four days. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/alexs-restaurant/

I made this tomato and sausage risotto for dinner tonight. It turned out SO well! I used spicy chicken sausage from Trader Joe's and less parmesan than the recipe called for; otherwise, I followed it pretty closely and it tasted great.

I'm somewhat obsessed with that site, even though I can't try most of her recipes because I'm moderately lactose-intolerant and usually too lazy to cook all that food for one person. (But hey, when I'm not, I get dinner and several lunches out of one recipe! )

I've made the pumpkin soup with veggie broth before and it came out fine.

Tonight I am making Wordsmith's Cincinnati chili. I put it in the crock pot around noon so it should be ready to eat when DH and I have dinner around 8 or so when DS goes to bed.

It reminds me of the hot dog sauce they serve at some well-known places I grew up with.

What did you do for seasoning?

J makes it with a seasoning packet made by Cincinnati's chili parlors, which his grandpa mails to us for authenticity! But I know that you can find recipes online that break down the spices in the seasoning. It's one of those "closely guarded secret" things, but most I've seen involve unlikely ingredients like curry and cocoa.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Cactus has been a welcome local addition -the prickly pear blades. The fruit is OK, but I like the green part better.

Here is the recipe I used (found online)

I browned the ground beef, then just dumped everything together in my crock pot.

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 pounds ground beef
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
    2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
    1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    Directions
    1.Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes.
    2.Add beef, in batches if necessary, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
    3.Add chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, cloves, bay leaf, chocolate, beef broth, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and red pepper. Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    4.It is the best if you now refrigerate overnight.
    5.Remove the bay leaf. Reheat gently over medium heat. Serve over hot, drained spaghetti. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Food related

I totally did not read everyone's earlier post so this is in no reply to anyone's post. I just wanted to vent so here I am on this thread to vent.

Ok, so I'm Asian and 1/2 a year ago I married this irish/italian/german guy and he likes the normal American food (pizza, speghetti, burgers and steaks etc). Well I always liked lasagna and wanted to try it, and I tried it once and it turned out sort of ok. It was with no ricata cheese (however you spell it). Just a mixture of mazarella and 5 italian cheese with an egg. Then you do the normal meat with speghetti sauce, then noodle, then cheese mix, then meat then noodle and repeat. It was ok. Today I tried it with the ricatta cheese and it was a disaster.

I did invite another couple over to be friendly with my husband's co-workers. They did not come over, thank goodness. The lasagna was instantly thrown out. Another good thing about inviting them over was the fact that just because I was about to have guests over, I cleaned and organized everything super nicely! I also went to Ikea to buy a lot of decorations (picture frames, candles...). Anyways so the good thing about inviting her and her not coming over was that the food suck, and our house is super clean. Although we still have not invited anyone over at all for dinner/hang out at our house! which sucks! And I've been here 1/2 a year and still haven't really made any friends! What is wrong with our age?

Ok, enough of that. But I told my husband that instead of 1 hour of preparation for lasagna, we are for now on... just going to buy the already made lasagna from the store and bake it. Saves 1 hour of time and also the fear that it might turn out terrible.

In all honesty, I never bother with lasagna, because, really, it's just a casserole made of the same ingredients that go into a bowl of pasta or a pasta bake, and those two are far less farting around. Lasagna has always been highly overrated, to me. Preparation is finicky, for something that tastes essentially no different than your average simple baked pasta dish. If I had to have lasgna, for some reason, I'd doubtless go the premade route.

Anyone have any cauliflower recipes? Besides mixing it with broccoli or other veggies and steaming it?

My dad went to Amish country in PA last week for work and brought back a bunch of veggies from a farmers market. I got a head of cauliflower bigger than my friend's 3 month old. I just steamed it, but not sure what to do with it. I've never prepped one myself--and any time I've eaten it, it's been with other veggies.

This soup looks interesting....http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caulifl...up/Detail.aspx
    "Words are not only cheap, they're really easy to use." Taken from a Washington Post book review

Quote Originally Posted by pisces2473 View Post
    Anyone have any cauliflower recipes? Besides mixing it with broccoli or other veggies and steaming it?

My dad went to Amish country in PA last week for work and brought back a bunch of veggies from a farmers market. I got a head of cauliflower bigger than my friend's 3 month old. I just steamed it, but not sure what to do with it. I've never prepped one myself--and any time I've eaten it, it's been with other veggies.

This soup looks interesting....http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caulifl...up/Detail.aspx
    I've never tried it, but I saw this recipe on Dr. Oz's show and I really want to!

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cauliflower-pizza
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

Melted cheese?

Roasted in the oven with EVOO and maybe some garlic or other spice of your choice?

Tonight I am baking acorn squash in the oven with a mix of brown sugar and other "fall" spices and butter. I have been marinating steaks in teriyaki sauce all day so we will have that on the grill.

I am also making mashed sweet potatoes from the box.

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    I am also making mashed sweet potatoes from the box.
    Mashed sweet potatoes in a box??
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)