about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Thread: Roommate ad

Roommate ad

I have been going back and forth about looking for a roommate, but I finally decided I definitely want one. It's strange, I've always loved living alone and never got lonely or bored, but lately I hate living alone. It's probably partly because it's the winter and I feel so cooped up, but ever since I lived with my ex I have really enjoyed living with someone. SO, the roommate hunt is on. This is the ad I placed on Craigslist (I didn't get many responses when I posted it a couple months ago; thinking it might just be timing though). Any thoughts? I really need to find someone!

AD:

I am looking for a roommate (male or female) to share my 2 bed/1 bath apt. in _________. The room is available now. The apartment has its own w/d, private entrance, balcony, parking lot, central airÖ The community has 2 pools, a small gym, tennis courts, a bar, and other amenities. Rent is $500 plus half of electric (heat is gas). The bedroom is empty, but the rest of the apartment is completely furnished.

I am a 27 y/o professional female. I like to go out on the weekends, but Iím quiet when Iím at home. I have 2 cats, so I need someone who likes/tolerates them. No more pets, please. Iím looking for a roommate who similar to me: doesnít smoke, is laid back but respectful and reliable, has a social life but takes it easy when at home.

Please email me if you are interested. I can provide photos upon request.
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

I think this sounds pretty good. For $500/month, I'd live there!

You might want to "punch it up" a bit, though. When I've looked for roommates online, the ads that attracted me were a bit more...fun. I don't have any specific suggestions, but maybe include some more of your personality? It seems pretty businesslike right now. Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's a good idea. I did have more of that initially, but some friends told me it was TOO much information in an ad.

Thanks... I am going to work on it.
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

Looks good so far! One thing you might add is maybe a little bit of the description the area is in, like if you're near any bus or train lines, what you can walk to that's really close by (or drive to quickly if you can't walk anywhere), and other things you like about your neighborhood. When I'm looking for a place in a city I don't know really well I really like knowing a little bit about the part of town where the address is. The other thing you might want to mention is if your landlord requires a prospective tenant to provide a credit check and verification of a certain amount of income.
    Q: What do you get when you cross a postmodernist with a mafia boss?
    A: An offer you can't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayl405 View Post
    I am a 27 y/o professional female. I like to go out on the weekends, but I’m quiet when I’m at home. I have 2 cats, so I need someone who likes/tolerates them. No more pets, please. I’m looking for a roommate who similar to me: doesn’t smoke, is laid back but respectful and reliable, has a social life but takes it easy when at home.

Please email me if you are interested. I can provide photos upon request.
    I would try to re-phrase this portion of the ad so all of your traits sound like the awesome assets that they are. So basically, you are looking for a very specific person, but though you are selective, the person who you pick is getting a sweet deal...which I think is what you want to convey.

This is just an example...by no means is this how I think you should write it...my personality is probably not like anyone else's, etc.:

"I'm a 27 year old woman, and I work hard - but mix it up on the weekends. If you want to explore a night on the town or enjoy a chill night at home with some movies, we'll have lots of fun! Rest assured, you'll enjoy a comfy, quiet, smoke-free, and laid-back environment whenever you're at home.

If you like cats, I'm your roommate, 'cause I have two. They're fun and friendly, though they're very skittish about adding more pets into the mix.

If you're relaxed and laid-back - but are a stickler for paying the bills on time - give me a call or shoot an e-mail. I have photos of my apartment, too - just ask."

I second Fish's idea about transit info. Whenever I've posted an apartment for rent, I've listed all transit lines within a half-mile radius. I don't own a car, but if I put my place up for rent, I'd also try to describe the parking situation as best I could (metered, zoned, garaged, or none) because even if the new guy or gal also uses transit, other people who need parking might drop by.

Sometimes I've also listed shopping that's nearby, if there is any, but that totally depends on who you're looking for and how familiar you think they'd be with the area. I also frequently see ads that mention apartments next to galleries, performance venues, libraries, universities, museums, etc., because naming certain things is more likely to draw certain people. Like I know one landlord who really wants to rent to artists, so he always mentions how close he is to the galleries and such. Other people want to live with medical or graduate students, so they advertise how close they are to the schools. It just depends.
    Last edited by gemma-dahl; 02-22-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add more info

I think the post is good with all the advises people have given here.
    But maybe have info on how big the room is (ex. 10x13).
    And mentioned that you are vegetarian but don't mind if the roommate is not.

I think right now it is a low time for people renting do to most college students are back to school and/or professional people are not looking.

I been posting too where I currently reside for my friend's house for 450$ plus split in utilities in a 3bdrm townhouse.
    I had some people come over to check it out beginning of the month, but that was about it. And also there has been some spammers out there as well.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. This is my new version:

Hi,

I have an empty bedroom in a fully-furnished 2 bed/1 bath apartment in _________.

The apt has its own w/d, private entrance, balcony, parking lot, central air. The community has 2 pools, a small gym, tennis courts, a bar, and parking lot. The communityís website is: __________________(________Apartments Ė 2 bedroom w/balcony). Itís on a bus line and not far from the train station.

Rent is $500 plus half of electric (heat is gas).

I am a 27 y/o female, working a 9-5 type job. Iím pretty quiet when Iím at home, but I like to go out on the weekends and stay pretty active during the week between the gym, work, and other activities. I have 2 very sweet cats, so any more pets would be a bit too many. Iím a non-smoker and looking for the same. It doesnít matter if you are male or female, as long as you are respectful, reliable and cool.

The room is available now. Let me know if you would like to see photosÖ
    Taylor

Here is what Ive used as a standard for my roommate ads on CL since I got my place 6 years ago. Ive had amazing responses and have had awesome people move in (including my current roommate)
    Hope this helps:

Hello!
    I have a room in my apartment that needs a great roommate! The condo was built in 2004 so everything is brand new!
    This is a tenant at will agreement.

The bedroom is 12x12 has lots of sunlight, a large closet and best of all its OWN full bathroom! Phone and cable hook up in the room as well.

The condo is 2400 sq.ft and has:
    a washer and dryer outside the bedrooms
    lots of storage space
    2 car heated garage
    Spare bathroom off the living room
    Kitchen with new appliances (including a dishwasher!), granite countertops (tons of prep space!), and lots of cabinet space
    Hardwood floors
    Alarm system (can never be too safe!)
    Central Air/Heat
    Central vacuum
    Fireplace
    Deck off the kitchen

Take a look at the pics, they give you an idea, but really, the place is much bigger and brighter than they show (Im not the best phtotographer! LoL). The common areas are furnished but there is room for small pieces. The bedroom is NOT furnished.

The condo is walking distance to the commuter rail and bus lines (weíre talking about 5 minutes to the commuter rail and 30 seconds to the bus line) Its also about a 5 minute ride to 95 North and South, & Mass Pike. 2 minutes to Rt. 60.

Its also located near all the bars, shops and restaurants, so youíre walkable to anything you could possibly want to do, or need to buy!

I am 29, work a full time corporate job. Keep it quiet during the week and like to go out on weekends. Im friendly and social. Donít smoke or do drugs.
    I am looking to live with another female between 23 and 30 who also works full time, someone who is clean, pays the bills on time and is respectful.

Utilities are as follows:
    Electric, Gas, Cable/Internet/phone, alarm
    In the summer they run about $100, winter about $230.
    Water and trash are taken care of.

The condo is non smoking and does not allow pets (sorry!)

As for a move in date, Im flexable but am looking for something around April 15.

Rent is $750 and First & security required to move in ($1500 to move in)
    If this sounds like something you would be interested in please contact me and we can speak further!