about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Hybrid View

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief

The good news/The bad news

I've noticed in life that a lot of good news is tempered by bad news and vice versa. Post good news in your life or your town that is complemented by bad news or the other way around.

The good news: I bought a new car last week. My old car had just had it. I couldn't move to grad school with it; I was 95% sure the transmission was going out on it.

The bad news: There's another $15,000 I can't afford.

-----

The bad news: I found another one of those silly city rankings the other day. I love reading them because of the line of thinking used to generate said rankings. Anyhow, my hometown of St. Louis (which ranked near the bottom of everything per usual) was rated 29th out of 30 cities measured for "singles/bar scene." That made me laugh. I knew something was wrong around here.

The good news: Cleveland (which is very close to where I'm going to school) did not rank 30th. Cleveland ranked 23rd. Which isn't great, but an improvement nonetheless. Santa Fe, New Mexico ranked last. Why they were measuring Santa Fe of all places, I have no idea.

-----

The good news: St. Louis is one of four finalists to host the 2012 Democratic Convention. So is Cleveland, oddly enough. My chances of going look pretty good. (The other two finalists are Charlotte and Minneapolis.)

The bad news: St. Louis has not hosted a Presidential convention since the Democratic convention of 1916, when Woodrow Wilson was renominated at the long-defunct St. Louis Coliseum. (I can't even think of how many decades ago they tore that place down. )

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

The good news: We have front row tickets to Counting Crows tonight (yes, it's super 90s, yes, that's when I went to college).
    The bad news: It's in an amphitheatre, and it appears that it's going to thunderstorm all day and probably all night.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

The good news: I bought tickets to Taiwan for my break from school here in Korea. I leave in about two weeks. Nothing but sitting on glorious beaches.

The bad news: I have to get through two weeks of being watched like a hawk and micromanaged for "open class" which culminates in opening my classroom up to Korean parents to watch me like a hawk on a Saturday morning.

That first cocktail on the beach is going to be WELL deserved. I swear, kids are awesome. It's teaching them that sucks.
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

Quote Originally Posted by ugarachel82 View Post
    The good news: I bought tickets to Taiwan for my break from school here in Korea. I leave in about two weeks. Nothing but sitting on glorious beaches.
    Taiwan is awesome.. I didn't go to any beaches (only went to Taipei) but I met so many friendly people there!

We're flying into Taipei and then taking a bus two hours south. Some friends here did this before us and said it was a great trip.
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

The good news: Had my last session with the therapist on Saturday. She doesn't feel that I necessarily need to pursue more therapy when I move to Ohio. Yay!

The bad news: I'm not sure there is any bad news here.

Quote Originally Posted by ugarachel82 View Post
    That first cocktail on the beach is going to be WELL deserved. I swear, kids are awesome. It's teaching them that sucks.
    A friend of mine told me I'd never hack it as a teacher. He said, "You'd smack the first public school kid you ever taught. That's not a judgment on you, that's a judgment on public school kids." He's probably right. But yeah, it's not easy.

Paul

The good news: I found a file on BitTorrent containing every episode of all eight seasons of Magnum P.I.

The bad news: My download speed sucks so bad that at present, I'll finish downloading the 60 gig file in two months.

Paul

The good news: I can plug my iPod into my new car's radio.

The bad news: I only have a iPod Shuffle.

Paul

The good news: I got a cast on my wrist removed today! Freedom at last.

The bad news: I can't exercise that freedom on my motorcycle for at least several months until I regain strength.

The good news: The results of my recent MRI were that my ACL is only sprained, not torn (I'm so relieved).

The bad news: I have $100 in copays for which I am seeking reimbursement from the establishment responsible for my injury. I am making this my personal mission as they are lying about the incident. Not looking forward to this fight. (I know it's only $100, but it's the principle).
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

The good news: I found a TV station that plays 30 Rock reruns in KOREA.

The bad news: They come on at MIDNIGHT.

Yes, I blog...

The good news: During my campus visit this week, I must have found every local pizza place within five miles of campus.

The bad news: I didn't get to try any of them.

-----

The good news: I also got a lead on a part-time job near campus.

The bad news: The job opens near the end of August, which was earlier than I wanted to find a job, but I can overlook that.

Paul