about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wait time after a job interview

For those of you who have been on interviews for full-time salaried positions..how long did it take for u to hear back? (esp if you did get the job)

It really varies. I have been accepted and given a monetary offer AT the interview (although that was in an entirely different economy, and at a company that I had already interned at and received positive performance reviews from so the interview was probably just a formality). Other jobs I have been given offers within 2 weeks, and then two others I really had to follow up more than once before I got an offer.

For my most recent job, I think at the interview they said they'd let me know within a week, and after a week and a half when I hadn't heard I politely followed up just to ask if they had time to make a decision yet, and they said they were still deciding and give them another week, and then I STILL hadn't heard from them so I politely followed up again after another week and a half or so, and ultimately I did get a written offer but it sure took a lot of polite persistence! It turned out they wanted to hire me but were really on the fence about being able to afford another employee and in the month or so that they were deliberating they were awarded a rather large contract that ended up making it much easier to afford me...so I'm glad I kept after them.

Agreed with Steph that it does vary based on the economy and the job.

I was a contract-to-hire for my current position - that's how we hire most folks. I made my initial contact and had an informal behavioral interview, then was scheduled to meet with my now-boss, the CEO, 3 wks later. I got the offer 3 wks after that (he was reviewing my creative/technical portfolio and I assume performing a background check) and came in shortly after to sign the papers. This was over two years ago, when the recession was thought to be at about its worst. (I know it isn't technically a FT salaried position, but since it was slated to become one, and since this is often how companies hire in this economy, I felt it would be a good perspective to share.)

FWIW, as well, I have a large network within the tech and interactive industries and it seems that larger companies can take up to a month to make a hiring decision. I'm not at all surprised, b/c hiring someone FT in this economy can be a huge undertaking, and all of the paperwork and decision making can drag on. I do hiring myself, and I recommend sending off a note to the decision-maker if it's been two weeks and you haven't heard anything (and assuming you feel ok doing so, of course). I did this at my current company and I think it sped things up a bit. But I also wouldn't hold out for one company...if you keep getting interviews, keep interviewing, because you can be sure they would do the same.

For my current position (which is full-time and salaried), I received a verbal job offer about 10 days after the interview.
    Q: What do you get when you cross a postmodernist with a mafia boss?
    A: An offer you can't understand.

For government jobs, it can take over a month to hear back after an interview.

When I worked at a university, it took maybe a few days to a week for the official offer, and that was mainly because the guy was trying to negotiate with HR to get me a higher pay.

And at my current job, there wasn't even an official interview. It doesn't happen that way very often (or at all, from what I've heard) but my boss' boss pretty much offered the job to me without a real interview, just based on my performance. Again, it took about a week to finalize the details and pay of the promotion.

But yeah...ANY kind of government job takes their merry time on getting back to people. Even when it was just a student position for the state, it was a month after I submitted my app before I heard back for the interview....and another month after the interview before I got the "pass this drug test & you're in" call. Most times, with salaried full-time government jobs, I've already found and been working at a new job for a few weeks before I even get offered an interview.

Always, always ask during the interview when you can expect to hear back. And if they don't get back to you - follow up on them.

Thanks for the replies!

@steph78 I went on this interview several weeks ago and 100% experienced what you described. However, I am still waiting :-(

Within a day or two (verbal offer).

I also always still follow up and send thank you cards until the deal is officially sealed and I receive something in writing.

@steph78 if you don't mind me asking..how many days was your interview? how many ppl did you meet altogether?

I wonder if I am no longer being seriously considered for the role Im interviewing for :-/

Didn't hear back yet :-(

Should I assume that I didn't get it?

Have you tried following up? The scenario I described above was with a rather small company (~20 people total) so my interview was with the president and vice president of the company, probably lasted about 2 hours? It was an engineering job, after talking about my education and previous experience and the responsibilities of the position I was applying for, they actually gave me a little test where they gave me a bunch of scenarios and made me explain what loads I would have to account for and how I would design some connections, etc. So anyway, I was able to follow up directly with the president of the company, I just did it by phone and asked very politely if they had had time to consider me for the position and make a decision. If you have not followed up I definitely would.

Thanks. I actually followed up a couple times alread. I heard back but it was always 'will get back to you soon'

In my personal experience: Anywhere from 24 hours to 6 weeks.

But really it's not over until they tell you it is. Lots of things can delay these decisions. In my present company it's not unusual for them to offer the job to someone, go back and forth for a couple weeks on terms, then offer it to the runner up candidate a month later when the first offer falls apart.
    The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is. - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks for your thoughts

Still no word :-/ starting to think the role was given to someone else

From personal experience I've gotten an offer back the same day of my interview to getting declined a month later, to not even hearing back from anybody even after multiple interviews. My friend at his current place didnt hear back till a month later. In between they were just emailing back and forth with the company saying they need approval from whoever on the offer.. Really depends on the company. Just make sure you try to follow up with them after the time you expected to hear from them. If they don't respond just move on. A lot of time I'm guessing they're just waiting for better candidates to accept/reject their offers, so they stall as long as possible to keep you as the backup candidate. The most important thing is to not wait for a certain offer. Unless you have an offer in writing, keep on applying to other places