about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

How does the weather affect your mood?

When the sun is out, it seems to be really hard for me to have a bad day.

But when the weather is overcast and gloomy, my mood often tends to match it pretty closely, especially after a few days without sunshine.

Hot weather makes me feel happy too.. but I know some others experience the complete opposite and prefer winter.

So QLC posters, how does the weather affect you?
    I thought it would be interesting to get some different perspectives.

I live in a place that's usually sunny, so I really enjoy cloudy days. If anything, they feel more comforting than beautiful, warm days. I doubt that I'd feel that way if I lived in a less-pleasant location, though. I remember one super gloomy winter when I was in high school. When it finally got sunny after what felt like months of nonstop cloudiness, I felt my mood improve, too. I hadn't noticed that I was feeling down because of the weather, but I must have been.

Yeah, I would say ongoing rainy or cold, snowy, icy or overcast weather in general definitely makes me feel more blah.

If it's not a constant thing though, sometimes it is just nice to have a day to stay in, make comfort food and just veg out.

Mood & Weather

The weather no doubt affects my mood. I feel so more energetic, optimistic and happy when it's sunny outside. On the other hand, when it's gloomy out, my mood just changes to a blah feeling. However, I'm a person who can only stay in the house for so long before I get restless. For example, yesterday it was raining lightly all day and it was chilly out, but I grabbed my fishing pole and went fishing for a while. Rain and cold be damned. I was tired of laying around the house. I've done other things like go to the park and jog or hike in crappy weather and other things. So, I try to make lemons out of lemonade so to speak when there's crappy weather.

When it's cold and snowy (not heavy snowstorms) and the air feels freshly cold, I get happy. Spring, breezy like weather is nice too, and it makes me feel hopeful.

When it's hot and humid, I get a little blah (unless I'm on vacation somewhere warm). Worse for rainy weather (cold and wet and disgusting), and I don't feel like doing anything. Behavior wise, it's not like I get grumpy about the it either way, though I may have a higher tendency to comment on the dreadful wet or the really humid weather.

rainy=bedtime(laid back)
    sun=mall time(upbeat)
    in between=random stuff(up for anything vibe)

I'm glad I don't sit by a window at my job now because when I did the weather made certain impressions on me. While it's nice to a view sometimes like when it's sunny..you don't want it when it's raining and you're trapped inside missing your bed!
    cupkake missing icing!

"that somebody was you"

I love a rainy day or two. It's relaxing and puts me in a low-key mood. But too many of them get me really depressed, antsy, and weird. I feel like I'm going crazy!
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

The only weather that impacts my mood is winter weather. It isn't so much the weather itself that puts me in a crappy mood, but much rather what the weather causes. I get bored, depressed and anxious of I am stuck in the house for too long, and can't go anywhere or do anything. Also, the fact that you can't get out and socialize if it is snowy or icy doesn't help matters either.
    Adam

We're preparing for some crazy weather here tomorrow...

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS65503.shtml

Extreme winter or summer is bad for me due to how my hands react. I'm sure people think I'm just complaining but it's really uncomfortable to have purple hands or big, red, swollen hands with all the veins sticking out.

I guess pleasant weather with sun in the 70s is my favorite. But that's a pretty typical answer which is why so many people move to California!

Gemma,

Being in Florida the weather is good here too and alot of people move here for that sole reason but let me tell you when it gets burning hot it does! Humidity like hell I guess that's one thing Cali has over us that it's not as humid. Thank God for A/C because without it we would all melt away here! I want to kiss the ground that inventor walked on! This sun is no joke for real!
    cupkake missing icing!

"that somebody was you"

Quote Originally Posted by cupkake View Post
    Gemma,

Being in Florida the weather is good here too and alot of people move here for that sole reason but let me tell you when it gets burning hot it does! Humidity like hell I guess that's one thing Cali has over us that it's not as humid. Thank God for A/C because without it we would all melt away here! I want to kiss the ground that inventor walked on! This sun is no joke for real!
    I know! I've been to Fla. and the Carolinas a lot and for some reason I always go in summer, the worst time to go. We'd love to live in Atlanta, but the weather is a deterrent.

I have family out in SoCal, and last time I was out, I realized that I liked it because there is barely any humidity, at least not compared to where I live (Southern Great Lakes). Even in the warmest part of summer, it doesn't feel too bad.