about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

alert If you screwed up college...

would you want to go to back (either to a different school or the same one) for a new degree?

I graduated in 2010 with a degree in something I loathe. I'm considering consulting a few career books to help choose a new major/direction before heading to a community college for something else.

In your expert opinion, is this a good idea or a foolish one?

Keep in mind that I am an introvert and have 0 social connections left from the university I attended. In addition, my family does not have connections that would help get me a job if I were to not return to school.

Go back and do a Computer Science degree. Geeks are flooded with job offers, and have the unique opportunity to spend just a few thousand to start a million dollar business.

I think it's extremely foolish to pursue another BA degree, for the sake of feeling like one needs a do-over.

Especially, especially with no clear-cut career direction in sight.

Furthermore, I think it's equally, if not MORE foolish to pursue a career path that someone on the QLC message board says is the best option in THEIR opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    I think it's extremely foolish to pursue another BA degree, for the sake of feeling like one needs a do-over.

Furthermore, I think it's equally, if not MORE foolish to pursue a career path that someone on the QLC message board says is the best option in THEIR opinion.
    I have been out of school for a year and can't get a job. So should I just make "unemployed" my title? If someone asks me what I do, I can say, "I am unemployed. What do you do?"

No one wants to hire me. I don't have any skills or knowledge that someone would want to pay me for, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post

At least I'm offering him a path that might lead to success. What are you offering?

Please, stop being useless to people's lives with your empty words.

If I were to change one thing about my college career it would either be to try and study harder in math and bring my grade up or stay in the same state.

If I had studied harder in math, I would have had my professional Geology degree and would be working toward a doctorate as I interned at one of the natural history museums or at a fossil dig somewhere.

If I had known that I'd have spent so much time trying to pass math, I would have stayed in Nevada and gotten my Creative Writing degree. I would have been done a lot more quickly.

Not that I screwed up anything. I met a lot of interesting people and encountered a lot of new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by mathematical314 View Post
    I have been out of school for a year and can't get a job. So should I just make "unemployed" my title? If someone asks me what I do, I can say, "I am unemployed. What do you do?"

No one wants to hire me. I don't have any skills or knowledge that someone would want to pay me for, apparently.
    How is going back for another degree, if you have no skills and do not know what you want to do anyways at this point, going to necessarily change that, KWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by AznHisoka View Post
    At least I'm offering him a path that might lead to success. What are you offering?

Please, stop being useless to people's lives with your empty words.
    I don't think I am giving "useless" advice; I think I am giving smart advice. Especially in this economy. But the OP is entitled to take it or leave it. As I said, this is a message board. It's not the be all and end all when it comes to decision making.

And, the OP also asked if what they thought was a smart/foolish idea, which is why I commented the way I did .

I think it would be completely different if the OP had actually stated that they had researched computer science and felt like this was a great career choice for them to go into for X,Y,Z reasons.

Clearly though, that does not seem to be the case. Just sayin'.

Again, the OP (and anyone for that matter on here) can make up their own minds on what they feel is useful advice or not on here.
    Last edited by winneythepooh7; 07-12-2011 at 06:12 AM.

spaz

It's quite hilarious that many human beings tend to kick people when they are down. They take the opportunity to make themselves look better by making a vulnerable person look even weaker. Instead of saying, "why don't you talk to friends or old professors about what your strengths are?", they tell you how stupid you are.

Sure, the key to being good at giving advice is not caring whether or not the receiver acts on said advice. However, if your advice is not constructive, why bother saying anything?

Quote Originally Posted by AznHisoka View Post
    Go back and do a Computer Science degree. Geeks are flooded with job offers, and have the unique opportunity to spend just a few thousand to start a million dollar business.
    No, not necessarily. This isn't 1998 anymore. I know many people with Computer Science degrees that are having a real tough time finding a job and those without degrees or degrees in something else starting up those technical "million dollar businesses". You can't just get by by being a code monkey. Code monkeys are outsourced for much cheaper. Coding properly and designing well is a very artistic endeavour which many schools do not "teach".

In the computer science field, when applying to jobs, they just want to know what you have done and what you can do. They usually could care less about your degree.

Also, to start those million dollar businesses, you have to first have a million dollar idea. I wouldn't say it's wise to pursue a degree with the assumption that you will have a million dollar idea at some point.
    Scott

If practice makes perfect, and nobody's ever perfect, why practice?

Computer science is not my thing. You have to start programming in high school to really understand it and get good at it.

IMHO, if you know what you want to do, and think that a particular degree will benefit you professionally in that field, definitely go for it. But if you are looking at college as just something to do, then it will end up being a waste of time and money. It sounds like you are just regretting your time in college and wishing that you could redo the whole thing, which is a common desire, but the chances of you going back and having it live up to these built-up dreams and fantasies isn’t likely if it went so badly the first time. There are other ways to “live the college life”, like get a no-stress job, live in an area with young people, etc – options that won’t flush a ton of money on tuition and books for a degree that could turn out as useless as the first one.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"
    -Kay

I sort of have similar thoughts to the OP

Well I graduated college in 08 and it is now 2011, so that was 3 years ago and seriously I did not use my major at all. I graduated with a BA in Economics and Political Science at a small home town university. I got my first full time 2+ years job doing something that I was doing when I was 15-22 which is I worked at a call center. Making like 25k a year, which is pretty sad. So I got married, now I don't really work and sort of living off my husband's salary whichs makes me feel like a leech and useless. I feel like my education was a waste of time and effort, and I had high honors because I spent hours studying to get all those As but my efforts result to nothing.

to the OP, well if you don't know what you want to do I would rather you NOT go back to school to waste your time and effort and MONEY trying to get another useless degree.

Take your time to research some jobs you might like to do, talk to others who have jobs they like and see if you might be interested in those kinds of jobs that they have. I have been interested in Special Education, but still thinking of it. I went to grad school for 1/2 a year thinking I will get the certificate but I'm still thinking of it. I've done some Teaching Assitant under a Special Education teacher and she seems to like her job plus it is a career that has job openings in the future .

I was also thinking of going into something medical like medical billing and technician or medical coding technician. We'll see...

My husband was actually looking at everything I was typing on here... how GAY so I"m logging off now. Good luck on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by KCboy View Post
    IMHO, if you know what you want to do, and think that a particular degree will benefit you professionally in that field, definitely go for it. But if you are looking at college as just something to do, then it will end up being a waste of time and money. It sounds like you are just regretting your time in college and wishing that you could redo the whole thing, which is a common desire, but the chances of you going back and having it live up to these built-up dreams and fantasies isn’t likely if it went so badly the first time. There are other ways to “live the college life”, like get a no-stress job, live in an area with young people, etc – options that won’t flush a ton of money on tuition and books for a degree that could turn out as useless as the first one.
    I don't want to "live the college life". I have done that already. I wanted to be focused and professional this time. Obviously, a university is out of the question. I would have to go to community college because I personally can't afford the tuition of a regular university.

Quote Originally Posted by psalm23 View Post
    Well I graduated college in 08 and it is now 2011, so that was 3 years ago and seriously I did not use my major at all. I graduated with a BA in Economics and Political Science at a small home town university. I got my first full time 2+ years job doing something that I was doing when I was 15-22 which is I worked at a call center. Making like 25k a year, which is pretty sad. So I got married, now I don't really work and sort of living off my husband's salary whichs makes me feel like a leech and useless. I feel like my education was a waste of time and effort, and I had high honors because I spent hours studying to get all those As but my efforts result to nothing.

to the OP, well if you don't know what you want to do I would rather you NOT go back to school to waste your time and effort and MONEY trying to get another useless degree.

Take your time to research some jobs you might like to do, talk to others who have jobs they like and see if you might be interested in those kinds of jobs that they have. I have been interested in Special Education, but still thinking of it. I went to grad school for 1/2 a year thinking I will get the certificate but I'm still thinking of it. I've done some Teaching Assitant under a Special Education teacher and she seems to like her job plus it is a career that has job openings in the future .

I was also thinking of going into something medical like medical billing and technician or medical coding technician. We'll see...

My husband was actually looking at everything I was typing on here... how GAY so I"m logging off now. Good luck on everything.
    Thanks, I appreciate your post. I was actually thinking of something in the healthcare field. We'll see.