about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Still living with parents at age 32

Hello QC friends,

I have a decision to make about my living situation. I want to move out of my parents house. I am 32 and really ready to be out on my own. I never moved away to college or moved out after college and so I am yearning for that time away and time to gain life experiences on my own. The challenge is that I am in a temporary entry level job. This job does not pay well enough for me to afford rent and pay bills, even with a roommate it would be really tough. I sort of feel like I am in a hopeless situation because I am not getting the type of work experience I need to obtain a higher level job that pays better. Trying to think of ways to get out of this rut.
    Thought about getting a second job, which I actually did for a while, but found no time for socializing and friends. I do not like who I am and who I become while living with parents. They bring out the negativity in me and it really depresses me. I want to be more outgoing, selfless, positive, grateful and humble. This is where i feel at my best I try to spend most of my time out of the hosue away from my parents and focus on the positive. Any advice, words of encouragement? How did you move out of your parents house?

Danielle
    danielle60148@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by della_anne View Post
    Hello QC friends,

I have a decision to make about my living situation. I want to move out of my parents house. I am 32 and really ready to be out on my own. I never moved away to college or moved out after college and so I am yearning for that time away and time to gain life experiences on my own. The challenge is that I am in a temporary entry level job. This job does not pay well enough for me to afford rent and pay bills, even with a roommate it would be really tough. I sort of feel like I am in a hopeless situation because I am not getting the type of work experience I need to obtain a higher level job that pays better. Trying to think of ways to get out of this rut.
    Thought about getting a second job, which I actually did for a while, but found no time for socializing and friends. I do not like who I am and who I become while living with parents. They bring out the negativity in me and it really depresses me. I want to be more outgoing, selfless, positive, grateful and humble. This is where i feel at my best I try to spend most of my time out of the hosue away from my parents and focus on the positive. Any advice, words of encouragement? How did you move out of your parents house?

Danielle
    danielle60148@yahoo.com

how long ago did u finish college? Assuming it was a long time ago why are u in an entry level job?

What about waitressing or bartending a couple nights a week?

If you really want to be independent, I wouldn't worry so much about going out and socializing.

This is an assumption that you are spending money on that, but that could be $$$$ put towards being out on your own.