about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Depression meds

Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    Talked to the doctor this week. She put me on the fourth different med since November. Here's hoping this one works.
    Hopefully.

Is there anything else she's suggested besides meds alone?

I probably said this already (too lazy to go back and look!) but often things like watching what you eat & drink and getting in exercise are also key in balancing one's mood.

Even just taking 15 minutes to walk around outside can be helpful .

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    So I'm starting to feel better. Mostly because I forgot to take my new meds for a couple of weeks. #facepalm Nonetheless, I'm taking advantage of it. I was getting worried because for a couple of weeks, I got really woozy, to the point that my head would spin just to move it. I'm still tired and my sleep schedule is completely out of whack, but that's improving.

After talking it over with a couple of people who have been there, I've decided to take the summer off from classes, go back to MO, stay with my dad for awhile, and recharge. This being tired and woozy thing wears you down. I only need to take one more semester, and I might as well roar out of the gate.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

I've never taken meds of this nature but have heard similar stories from people on them re: side effects.

It's interesting that you feel better by NOT being on them.

How long have you been seeing this particular doctor/therapist?

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    I've never taken meds of this nature but have heard similar stories from people on them re: side effects.

It's interesting that you feel better by NOT being on them.

How long have you been seeing this particular doctor/therapist?
    The doctor I've been seeing since November. I had to go to her to get the Rx for the meds. The therapist I've been seeing off and on for over a year.

Paul

I limped along for many years in a low grade depression. I can't accurately assign the credit for my escape between meds, exercise, eating better, and finally getting a decent job, but exercise is the only piece of that puzzle I think isn't optional.

I know I've said it here before, but don't underestimate the effect of regular vigorous exercise when it comes to fighting depression and boosting overall energy. Walking is good, but you also need exercise that leaves you drenched in sweat and gasping for air.

The antidotes for depression are hope and vigor, and vigor doesn't come in a pill.

(It doesn't even have to take a lot of time or money...search for "burpees" on YouTube and just go for it)
    The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Samwell View Post
    I limped along for many years in a low grade depression. I can't accurately assign the credit for my escape between meds, exercise, eating better, and finally getting a decent job, but exercise is the only piece of that puzzle I think isn't optional.
    I've been trying to get back to my long-distance hiking, but it's hard to do when you're not getting to sleep until sometimes after 5 in the morning (which I've had trouble with twice this week ). Or when you're so woozy that you can't stand up without your head spinning. I have a lot of mornings where I really want to get up and do things. Then I get up, get so exhausted that I'd swear I'm narcoleptic, and I say, "No, right here's fine!"

This isn't me, and people have noticed. I've had people say, "Paul, you've been like this for months!" Yeah, I've had moments where I'm driving down the highway and I get woozy and I think, you know, I probably should not be behind the wheel of this car going 70 miles per hour down the highway! I've had moments where I've probably been an extreme danger to myself and others on the road. But if I don't drive, I can't get to the doctor or the therapist or anything else.

But I've also had people observe that I've maintained my good humor throughout. I told someone who said that me, "If I'm ever out of my good humor, check my burial insurance, cause I'm dead!"

Paul