about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    Plenty to be positive about. About to turn 25, which skews a lot younger than whom I normally meet. She's not divorced, doesn't have any kids, hasn't been abused as far as I can tell. She's not pining for somebody she dumped. So far so good!

Paul
    That's really good to hear! I had a good date today too. So when is your next date with this girl?
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    So speaking of first dates, this girl I met last night told me a story of probably the weirdest first date I've ever heard of.

This girl has a cousin who lives between Akron and Columbus. On the first date with his current girlfriend, they went out into the woods, shot, cooked, and ate a wild groundhog! Eating groundhog chitlins--that's true love right there!

"Darlin', when I was chokin' on that groundhog's rib, I knew there were no other woman fer me!"

So I had to counter with the time I was about 10 or 12, and my dad picked up a roadkill squirrel in the road and I had to help Dad skin it.

Here I am thinking of inviting of this girl to a nice Italian place I know. But that sounds almost pedestrian as a first date compared to going out in the woods and shooting furry mammals. I almost want to top that, but I doubt it's worth the effort.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

i havent had too much success recently. Was set up by a coworker to meet this girl that she thought we would get along. End up meeting her, seems cool and attractive. Come to find out that because I dont live in NYC but live in the suburbs of it that she thinks it would be too long distance. I also found out from my coworker that she hasnt dated anyone in a long time, so i dont understand why shes being so picky. I've texted her a bit but its always me initiating, it just seems like im fighting an uphill battle for a girl that I probably wont be able to date because I live 40 minutes outside the city in her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ugarachel82 View Post
    That's really good to hear! I had a good date today too. So when is your next date with this girl?
    We haven't gone out yet. I'm going to try to arrange something today. I'm thinking of inviting her to a nice Italian place I know. Maybe go walking afterwards to the shops or the nearby river.

Paul

We haven't gone out yet. I'm going to try to arrange something today. I'm thinking of inviting her to a nice Italian place I know. Maybe go walking afterwards to the shops or the nearby river.

Paul
    Oh, I thought you already had a date. Well, good luck! Hope all goes well.
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

Oh, I thought you already had a date. Well, good luck! Hope all goes well.
    If she ever lets me know. Conversation via text has been fairly slow. I flat out asked her when she wanted to go out, and I haven't heard back yet. In my experience, this is NEVER a good sign.

Paul

If she ever lets me know. Conversation via text has been fairly slow. I flat out asked her when she wanted to go out, and I haven't heard back yet. In my experience, this is NEVER a good sign.
    I thought we covered this in another thread?

Never ask her when she wants to go out. TELL her when you're going out. This reduces her answer from infinite possibilities down to just two: Yes and No. You're more likely to get an immediate response, or at least one in a reasonable timeframe. By asking her an open-ended question, you're giving her the ability to stall.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post

Never ask her when she wants to go out. TELL her when you're going out. This reduces her answer from infinite possibilities down to just two: Yes and No. You're more likely to get an immediate response, or at least one in a reasonable timeframe. By asking her an open-ended question, you're giving her the ability to stall.
    I've tried it. That never works for me because dating for me is always a nightmare of scheduling. It's never as simple as saying, "We're going out this day!" because they can never go this day. I go through this every goddamn time! They're always too busy to go out this specific day. I just have to be persistent and find something that works. It's too much effort, but it doesn't work any other way.

Paul

Paul
    Wait? You've been communicating this by text? This seems more like a "pick up the damn phone" and call kind of situation. Sorry. I would just call. Lay out options of things you discussed previously. Give her two to choose from (piggybacking what Telemachus said). She can say yes or no, but it's too easy to ignore a text. Plus, it shows you have major balls when you call.

Yes, I blog...

Plus, it shows you have major balls when you call.
    Agreed. Faint heart never won fair lady.

I've started to get a bit depressed/lonely/unhappy/angry/etc. about the whole break up with my ex. I still think it was in both of our best interests to split, but it sucks. I haven't been inspired enough to actually call him up, although I will eventually need to contact him about giving each other our apartment keys back (he also has a wetsuit of mine that I want back that he hasn't sent to me yet). I'm going out to his town next month so I think I have a while to marinate what I will say in my head.

There is a fellow from my tango class who had been flirting with me long before my ex and I decided to split. He took the FE over the weekend and invited some people out to celebrate. It ended up being him, me, and one of his good friends from grade school. He texted me on Sunday to say he had a good time, and when we parted he mentioned when we probably could meet up again (he travels a lot for work). I'm actually kind of glad he is going to be out of town for a while, as I *really* don't want to rebound and I was a little concerned of rebounding with him. At least when he's back in town on a more regular basis I'll have my head (and heart) in a better place. In the meantime I can appreciate his texts and our games of "Words with Friends".

There are a couple other guys who I think are interested in me (dog park fellow and coworker), but they are moving slower and I'm not so worried about rebounding with either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySweetheart View Post
    He took the FE over the weekend and invited some people out to celebrate.
    Ugh.... shudder. Glad I don't have to take that one, again.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

Per usual, I was right--she was too busy to get back to me. "Sorry, I have a project due Friday and finals are coming up." So we're pushing it back to next week.

This happens to me every time. WHY??

Paul

This happens to me every time. WHY??
    Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post

So this happened over the weekend:

Last weekend I was moping around the house feeling sorry for myself, when I get a Facebook message from a colleague (we've met a few times socially in group settings for dinner or trivia night at a local dive): "Hey, I would have asked you earlier but didn't have your phone number. I'm at BJ's watching the game and was wondering if you would like to join."

I'm not a huge fan of BJ's, and not a fan of baseball, but I went because 1) Even though I had homework to do, I was in no mood to actually work on it 2) I needed an excuse to get me out of the house and away from calling my ex-boyfriend (which I came dangerously close to doing).

So I get there, in all my college t-shirt and jeans glory, and he's alone wearing a nice shirt (both of which surprised me). When the tab came the waiter had put it all on one bill, and the guy insisted on paying, saying that I could get the next one.

Shit, was that a date?

I'm not a huge fan of BJ's
    OK, so I saw this before I saw the previous paragraph, and I thought, "Unfortunately, most guys are."

So I get there, in all my college t-shirt and jeans glory, and he's alone wearing a nice shirt (both of which surprised me). When the tab came the waiter had put it all on one bill, and the guy insisted on paying, saying that I could get the next one.

Shit, was that a date?
    You're never supposed to answer a question with a question, but do you want to consider it a date?

Paul

I'm not a huge fan of BJ's, and not a fan of baseball.
    Haha, I'm not a fan of that restaurant, either. I don't know why people like going there, probably because of the pizzookies.

Shit, was that a date?
    It's only a date if you invite him out for Round 2