about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

What could this MEAN???

I have an interview for Assistant Director of Admissions at a college in a few days. In the email confirming my interview time, they asked me to "please be prepared to do a brief information session presentation." Do you have any idea what this might refer to?

It sounds like a mock presentation. They will judge you based on your presentation skills as if you were speaking to a prospective student. In order to prepare, I would research the institution and memorize a few facts, such as enrollment, programs of study, and teacher student ratio (all of which should be freely available from the school's website or in their admissions brochures).

I've done similar things in interviews before. An optical device manufacturer, where the job was a sales engineer, wanted me to "sell" an optical device to the interviewer. Before the interview, they sat us down and gave us the devices and the spec sheets, and went over a brief overview. They weren't especially interested in how well I could regurgitate information, but they were interested in how my interpersonal skills translated to the sales role.

Another company where I was interviewing for a maintenance manager role sat me down in a room with nine mechanics (all of whom were older than I was). They grilled me on why I had what it takes to be their boss.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

My Guess

As someone who has 2 degrees and is currently seeking a 3rd, I know the college scene pretty well, lol. So, I think I may be able to help you here. Most colleges and universities will have days where prospective students and their parents are invited to visit the campus, tour it, get more information, etc. The office of admissions at colleges and universities are the ones in charge of recruiting new students, so they're the ones who usually put on these events. During these events, a person from the Admissions office will give an information session to prospective students and their parents. This admissions office rep will tell the audience things like the history of the school, what the school is like, how to apply, financial aid info and host of other things. I know when I was weighing my college options, I went to a few myself.

So, it sounds like this potential employer wants you to give a mock information session in front of a pretend group of potential students and their parents. If it's like information sessions I've attended, like I said above, you'll have to present things like history of the school, what the school offers, how to apply, etc. Hopefully this helps and good luck.

Ok, I have NO knowledge of any of this but I'm curious: would the mock presentation have to be about that specific school with details related to that school? Or a fictious school?
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Tayl405 View Post
    Ok, I have NO knowledge of any of this but I'm curious: would the mock presentation have to be about that specific school with details related to that school? Or a fictious school?
    I would think it would be about that school. They might give you five minutes to prepare with an admissions brochure, and then ask you to convince a panel of "students" to attend that school.

It's important to note that a mock presentation like that is primarily to see your communication skills in front of a group, and not to test you on your knowledge of the school. Presumably, they would train you before you ever spoke to a real student.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

Yeah, it totally sounds to me like they want to observe your ability to talk in front of a group, overall ease and self-confidence as well as how you may come across especially in terms of "selling".

I would make sure you have a basic knowledge of the institution of which you are interviewing.

But bottom line it will probably come down to how you present in the areas I mentioned above.

You might want to find out if they intend for you to come in with a prepared pitch. In some cases, it may simply be expected. It's pretty common these days to present a prepared pitch or business plan when interviewing for a higher level sales or marketing job. If this is true of your targeted role, you can use software like SlideRocket to make your pitch pop. It's like PowerPoint with super graphics and video capabilities.

(Yes, you can DL it for free, but no, I'm not affiliated with SlideRocket or VMware. )

The other posters have some great advice about what information to include and what behaviors the interviewers are looking for. I would add that every school has a selling point that makes it special, and figuring out a way to sell that creatively can win you points. I know that for my university, a particular selling point was the broad classical liberal arts program, and for my fiancee's, it was the engineering program. If you're interviewing for a position in a specific department, research what makes that department a stand-out among its competitors.
    "Whatever dramas are going on in my life, I always find that place inside my head where I see myself as the cleanest, tallest, strongest, wisest person that I can be." L. Staley

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring." D. Bowie

If a Wal-Mart is a person, could it marry a Target and have a baby named Safeway? I hope so!

Jimmy McMillan for NYC Mayor because all across the country, The Rent is too Damn High!

I went to an engineering school, and our selling point was LEGOs. If you played with LEGOs as a kid, you'll fit right in.

I also hear that they told the girls (because of the 80:20 ratio men:women) that the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
    I went to an engineering school, and our selling point was LEGOs. If you played with LEGOs as a kid, you'll fit right in.

I also hear that they told the girls (because of the 80:20 ratio men:women) that the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I hear that from girls at our local engineering school all the time. It was also reversed in my program (early childhood education...we had one male...and he was, to say the least...odd...)
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

An Update

Thanks so much for all of your responses and advice. I prepared a killer mock presentation and had an excellent interview. I was called back for a second interview, which went well also. Then days later, I was informed by the interviewer that they "decided to move forward with another candidate.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I've been fighting back tears all day at work. I really saw myself in this position. It's hard to get up each morning and rush off to a job you hate and to feel like the opportunity to actually do something you (might) love is always outside of your reach. I've been job searching since July 2011 and this was the first interview I got. As luck would have it, the day I got back from the second interview, I was contacted for an interview for another job that I applied for 6 months ago! I'm leery, but we'll see.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update since this online community actually seems to care.

Quote Originally Posted by raindrops49 View Post
    Thanks so much for all of your responses and advice. I prepared a killer mock presentation and had an excellent interview. I was called back for a second interview, which went well also. Then days later, I was informed by the interviewer that they "decided to move forward with another candidate.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I've been fighting back tears all day at work. I really saw myself in this position. It's hard to get up each morning and rush off to a job you hate and to feel like the opportunity to actually do something you (might) love is always outside of your reach. I've been job searching since July 2011 and this was the first interview I got. As luck would have it, the day I got back from the second interview, I was contacted for an interview for another job that I applied for 6 months ago! I'm leery, but we'll see.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update since this online community actually seems to care.
    Sorry to hear that. I've been through it, so I know where you're coming from. The job search process can definitely make a person jaded. Don't give up and keep moving forward. Eventually you'll land that dream job. Also, don't get your hopes up when going through the interview process. I know that may sound harsh, but if you end up not getting the job, then at least your not too disappointed. And if you do get the job, then it makes it even more exciting.

I said this in a different thread the other day, but usually there is no rhyme or reason to these things and as hard as it is, you should try not to take it personally. ESPECIALLY when you know there have been other candidates you were competing with .

The fact that you went so far in the interview process shows you are still a great potential employee.

Another thought: Often I've had bosses who have hired someone else, but then that person did not end up working out, so the second person ended up getting called for the position. With that said, you should STILL send them a thank you note (handwritten!) and ask them to keep you in mind if anything comes up in the future.

Arg!!!

I know the frustration of the very close interview. In very competitive fields, getting interviews is like rain in a drought soaked landscape. Even coming close (and being told how close you came, considering how tight lipped interviewers generally are) is a welcome change. But when you are preparing hard with a full data compilation and analysis or mock presentation, it is hard! Oh also, ditto on the second-in-line thought; sometimes you will get a call later to see if you want to replace the first hire.
    Last edited by Ezra Pippen; 03-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.