about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Thread: Changing diet?

Changing diet?

I know a few of you on here eat pretty healthy.

How do you get in this mindset?

My downfall is junk food.

I also as many of you know practice Bikram yoga at least 3x a week and this makes your body crave salt like crack. I often find myself digging into a bag of chips instead of a salad.

Any tips?

I know like anything else it needs to become a new habit and lifestyle change.

I also live with someone who is super skinny and can eat whatever they want without gaining weight.

Sometimes I also think I eat out of boredom or habit which is not good either.

Discuss!!!

I am such a boredome eater, too! THAT is my downfall - not emotional eating. This may sound silly, but to combat eating in front of the tv, I got myself a coloring book and I color sometimes to keep my hands busy instead of snacking. It works!

It's so hard to change habits, so when I am trying to make a pretty big overhaul on my diet, I start with one thing at a time. For example, I switch my breakfast or cut bread out of my lunches. After a couple weeks, I get used to that and then I tackle something else. It's a slow change, but because it's gradual it never really feels like I'm depriving myself.

Also, I'm the worst when I have chocolate at home. I will eat any chocolate that's in front of me! I won't NOT keep it at home because I will go crazy, but I try to keep minimal amounts and dark chocolate or some kind of chocolate that I won't feel totally guilty about (like the Kashi dark chocolate oatmeal cookies, mmm).

Luckily, my blood pressure is on the lower side and my doctor encourages me to ADD salt to my diet. But I have to try to keep the salt I'm eating to be healthy. I'm not a huge chip person, but I have a serious weakness for popcorn. I make it on the stove with olive oil, and top it with sea salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Not the best snack, but not the worst and so delish!

This is a great idea for a thread! I'm recovering from sinus surgery and can't exercise for at least another week, but once I can I am going to be crazy about getting in shape. Going to Vegas in early May is a great motivator!! I'm afraid a couple weeks of sedentary life is going to pull me away from my routine and I can't let that happen.
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Tayl405 View Post
    I am such a boredome eater, too! THAT is my downfall - not emotional eating. This may sound silly, but to combat eating in front of the tv, I got myself a coloring book and I color sometimes to keep my hands busy instead of snacking. It works!
    I have issues with this too. I crochet for the same reason....
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Whatever happened to the good ol' days when people ate cause they couldn't get laid? Oh wait--that's my problem!

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    I also as many of you know practice Bikram yoga at least 3x a week and this makes your body crave salt like crack.
    You'll be fine as long as you're not giving blowies in an alley for a hit of Morton's.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

At work...people on welfare are depending on me!
    I brush my teeth right after dinner; I feel compelled to not snack because I don't want to have to brush my teeth again before bed. This works pretty well for me because brushing my teeth is like a 10/12-minute ordeal with floss and mouthwash involved and I really dislike doing it when I'm tired and I've stayed up too late.

And if shit really hits the fan with cravings, you can still drink water, which is what we're all supposed to be doing instead of snacking anyway.

I did bring a big salad for lunch today, and lots of celery, carrots and clementines to snack on.

It helped but I think it will take some getting used to. I had a headache when I got home from work. I just ate a couple more clementines and it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocheezu View Post
    And if shit really hits the fan with cravings, you can still drink water, which is what we're all supposed to be doing instead of snacking anyway.
    I do this, too. When I feel like eating but know I'm not hungry, or if I'm trying to stave off hunger because I can't eat for a while, I'll drink a bunch of water or tea. People often think they're hungry when they're really just dehydrated, I've read, and my skin looks great when I make a real effort to drink tons of water throughout the day, so that's an added benefit.

Snack-wise, I've gotten really into homemade kale chips lately. They're delicious, super easy to make and really healthy. Nuts are good, too; I keep a bag of roasted almonds from Trader Joe's in my cubicle at all times so I can eat those when I feel like a snack. People think this is weird, but I also like to cut up tomatoes, add a little salt and bring bags of those to snack on when I start to drag a bit around mid-afternoon. If I buy chips or cookies to eat at work, I'll portion them into snack-sized amounts in advance and leave the big bag at home so I'm not tempted to eat too much. My boyfriend's not a snacker, and he eats really healthy, too, which keeps me from eating between meals when we're at home.

I've always liked healthy food, so I didn't really have to make a conscious choice to eat this way. When I first started working, though, I didn't plan ahead nearly as much, so I ended up going out to lunch and buying snacks from the vending machine just to get by. Now I make an effort not to go out to lunch at all, and since I see no reason to bring an unhealthy lunch, I eat well by default. I have a lot more energy this way, too!

At one of the places I did invasive species removal at, we were a relief station for a bike marathon. The orange slices on ice got the most appreciative comments, but bananas were eaten in far greater numbers. I always eat more bananas when I am intensifying a workout, or doing a very physically intense contract. Perhaps bananas or other potassium rich food would help, or buying sea salt for cooking?

I actually only use sea salt for cooking and flavoring with my food.

I belong to a Bikram yoga forum and the teacher who runs it actually said that a lot of people don't realize that most junk foods and even things like crackers and nuts (unless natural/organic) are flavored with regular table salt which is not a healthy salt like sea salt.

Which leads to weight gain for most.

I always carry bananas and citrus fruits with me at work to munch on.

I tend to sub in raw almonds as my snack of choice when I crave chips...they still have fat, of course, but def. more nutrients than chips.
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

Ha, I think my problem is just bringing them into the house in the first place.

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    Ha, I think my problem is just bringing them into the house in the first place.
    That's definitely my problem. I bought some ham yesterday so I could have a ham sandwich; I really wanted a sandwich. Thing is, I can't have a sandwich without chips, so I got a big bag of BBQ chips. Had my sandwich, yum yum. But by the end of the evening, the entire bag of chips was gone.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

спс

спасибо за статью очень достойный сайт!