about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Thread: Spam

Spam

Can we get rid of some of these guys and posts, please?
    Taylor

"Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

I was thinking about starting this thread myself. The amount of spam on here lately has been unreal. Where are they all coming from?
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by ugarachel82 View Post
    I was thinking about starting this thread myself. The amount of spam on here lately has been unreal. Where are they all coming from?
    Maybe they came from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    Maybe they came from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Paul
    I thought you were going to post a certain video about Camelot, but at least I was in the right ballpark!
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
    I thought you were going to post a certain video about Camelot, but at least I was in the right ballpark!
    How could I post anything but the Spam sketch?? LOL!
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Tayl405 View Post
    Can we get rid of some of these guys and posts, please?
    I agree, it's getting ridiculous. There is a "report post" button at the top right hand corner of each post. But I don't know if it'd do any good because I don't know if anybody is even moderating this forum anymore. I mentioned something about this in another thread and I can't remember who it was (may have been Winnie) suggested the "report post" button. Guess it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
    There is a "report post" button at the top right hand corner of each post. But I don't know if it'd do any good because I don't know if anybody is even moderating this forum anymore.
    There are so few posts here these days that its trivial to read every single one of them (I may not comment on everything, but I do read every post). "Report post" is probably only useful on larger forums where the moderators aren't expected to read every single thread on a volunteer basis.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

Sadly with lack of traffic, and increased spaming, I think this is a sign that a forum is getting ready to crash and burn for good.

I saw this happen with at least 2 other forums I've posted on over the last year.

Neither one is live anymore.

There is a lot of spam here. But I'd be sad to see this site taken down for good.
    ~Erika~

Quote Originally Posted by ebruening View Post
    There is a lot of spam here. But I'd be sad to see this site taken down for good.
    I agree. I almost feel like we're a little family here or something, lol. It's one of the most civil forums that I've come upon and I know I'm going to get intelligent feedback from members when I post on here. I would definitely hate to lose it. It's weird too because there are a ton of threads on here dating back years, so it obviously used to be a very busy place. I just wish I would've found this forum in it's heydey. Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
    It's weird too because there are a ton of threads on here dating back years, so it obviously used to be a very busy place. I just wish I would've found this forum in it's heydey.
    I look at it optimistically; the forum may have less active users today, but all those contributing members of the past have left us an excellent resource if you use the "search" button.

Also, finding this forum in it's heydey wouldn't have done me a lot of good, since at the time I wasn't in a QLC yet!

We are a family, really. I love this forum. Then and now. For very different reasons. I feel like this forum has gotten me through a lot of shit and continues to support. I've been a poster on and off since graduating college in 2004. I would hate to see it go, but I know I talk to many of the folks I met here off forum. PM me if you want my twitter/facebook/email and I'm sure we can do our best to stay connected. My blog link is also a good way to contact me by commenting on a post and I'm sure to reply. It's below.
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World

"If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

Yes, I blog...

"Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

So the spam monster has reared its ugly head once more, and the board is inundated with lame posts.

I'm not sure if this is a consequence of the recent site upgrade, or if Abby hasn't implemented the strict account creation/anti-spam measures that vbulletin offers, but it's getting pretty bad.

I think I spend enough time here that I'd be willing to go on a anti-spam killing crusade with the right moderator permissions. I'd hate to see this board go down simply because users can't filter the good from the bad...

I lifted new user moderation for a few hours because actual, legitimate users were complaining it was taking too long to register - but obviously that was not a good idea. I deleted/banned all the posts/spammers, and have reinstated new user moderation.
    I have human verification enabled, right now it's Captcha but I may change to question/answer. several spammers still register every day that I have to sift through. Not sure what else to do...