about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: Food Thread!!!

  1. #16
    I've really been on a lentil kick lately. I don't like them hot (too mushy) but if I cook them only slightly and refrigerate them with peppers, cucumbers, balsamic vinagarette and add some tomatoes and feta cheese it makes a delicious salad!
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World



    "If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

    Yes, I blog...


    "Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by ugarachel82 View Post
    I've really been on a lentil kick lately. I don't like them hot (too mushy) but if I cook them only slightly and refrigerate them with peppers, cucumbers, balsamic vinagarette and add some tomatoes and feta cheese it makes a delicious salad!
    What kind of lentils are you using? I'm a huge lentil fan too

    My friend gave me an amazing lentil recipe recently, using French lentils, which can be cooked for quite a while before they go soft/mushy.

    Basically you boil/simmer the French lentils with a bay leaf or two until they're just starting to go soft, then add chopped fresh dill, chopped baby spinach, cracked black pepper, olive oil and lots of lemon juice. You can also add oregano or other herbs to taste.
    I like eating this salad warm, it's delish!!! It's also vegan.. which I'm not (I pretty much eat everything) but so far it's been a handy recipe for when vegan or vego friends visit

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini14 View Post
    What kind of lentils are you using? I'm a huge lentil fan too

    My friend gave me an amazing lentil recipe recently, using French lentils, which can be cooked for quite a while before they go soft/mushy.

    Basically you boil/simmer the French lentils with a bay leaf or two until they're just starting to go soft, then add chopped fresh dill, chopped baby spinach, cracked black pepper, olive oil and lots of lemon juice. You can also add oregano or other herbs to taste.
    I like eating this salad warm, it's delish!!! It's also vegan.. which I'm not (I pretty much eat everything) but so far it's been a handy recipe for when vegan or vego friends visit
    I'm pretty sure they're not french lentils. Though I do buy mine cheap at the farmer's market in town. I'll have to try French lentils though. I love lentils because I feel like they are so filling and I don't have to worry about being hungry two hours after eating. I try to stick to a pretty veggie-friendly diet and these are excellent in terms of the amount of protein I get for my buck. But I'll have to try your recipe. Sounds delish.
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World



    "If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

    Yes, I blog...


    "Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini14 View Post
    What kind of lentils are you using? I'm a huge lentil fan too

    My friend gave me an amazing lentil recipe recently, using French lentils, which can be cooked for quite a while before they go soft/mushy.

    Basically you boil/simmer the French lentils with a bay leaf or two until they're just starting to go soft, then add chopped fresh dill, chopped baby spinach, cracked black pepper, olive oil and lots of lemon juice. You can also add oregano or other herbs to taste.
    I like eating this salad warm, it's delish!!! It's also vegan.. which I'm not (I pretty much eat everything) but so far it's been a handy recipe for when vegan or vego friends visit
    That sounds so good! I love lentils, too -- especially the French green ones! I've made a really good soup using those. It's not vegetarian (it includes a little bit of bacon), but it's still fairly healthy and delicious.

    My dad is out of town, so my boyfriend suggested having my mom over for dinner tonight since she's home alone a lot. We're using a recipe from Cooking Light and making a simple pasta dish with lots of tomatoes and basil. My parents are really into fine wines and always bring a nice bottle or two when people have them over for dinner, so it's a win-win situation for all of us.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,638
    Mmm, LOVE lentils. Both of those recipes sound awesome.

    My go-to appetizer to bring to parties is a lentil recipe I got from Trader Joes (they were sampling it).

    --Black beluga lentils
    --Chopped red onion
    --Feta
    --Chopped cherry tomatoes
    --Pine Nuts
    --Tuscan dressing

    Toss them all together and serve with crackers or bread. It's pretty, too!
    Taylor

    "Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Not MTC
    Posts
    2,860
    One thing I like to have for lunch every now and then (and some people may think it's gross) is a sardine sandwich. Very high in protein and other nutrients. If you're okay with the fishy taste, you should give it a try.

    I'll usually buy the boneless, skinless variety of Seasons Brand. I'll drain most of the olive oil first. Then I'll construct the sandwich with toasted wheat bread, sardine filet, sliced/chopped tomato and a sprinkle of oregano.
    "It was the forties as well - before racism was bad. - David Brent

    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg


  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,638
    Jay - you got me into sardines, haha. You posted about them awhile back and I have been eating them ever since.
    Taylor

    "Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values." - Atlas Shrugged

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Posts
    11,781
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeJay View Post
    One thing I like to have for lunch every now and then (and some people may think it's gross) is a sardine sandwich. Very high in protein and other nutrients. If you're okay with the fishy taste, you should give it a try.

    I'll usually buy the boneless, skinless variety of Seasons Brand. I'll drain most of the olive oil first. Then I'll construct the sandwich with toasted wheat bread, sardine filet, sliced/chopped tomato and a sprinkle of oregano.
    I tried getting into smoked kippers one time. I got most of the way through a can with some crackers, and I said, "No more!"

    Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane
    Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Posts
    11,781
    I finally found a Dutch oven pot at the dollar store in my neighborhood. Ten bucks! Only a five-quart pot, but I'm not complaining.

    Next to the dollar store was a small Italian store that had hot Italian food including sausage rolls. Mmmmmmm! How did I miss this?

    Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane
    Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

    I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Not MTC
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    I finally found a Dutch oven pot at the dollar store in my neighborhood. Ten bucks! Only a five-quart pot, but I'm not complaining.
    If you don't mind me asking what is the pot made out of? I've been looking for one and the ones I like at Kohl's are pretty expensive. I've also been looking to buy a cast-iron skillet. There seem to be a lot of fun things to cook with a cast-iron.
    "It was the forties as well - before racism was bad. - David Brent

    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,319
    I had a cast iron dutch oven back when I was in the Boy Scouts. We could cook anything in that pot, and I mean anything. I once taught a merit badge class where I taught them how to make pizza and peach cobbler.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
    I had a cast iron dutch oven back when I was in the Boy Scouts. We could cook anything in that pot, and I mean anything. I once taught a merit badge class where I taught them how to make pizza and peach cobbler.
    Must be a scouting thing. We did the same at Girl Scout camp. It was rather tasty, I must say.
    "I want to hold the whole wide world right here in my open hands/maybe I'm just a little girl/a little girl with great big plans." ~Mindy Gledhill, Whole Wide World



    "If you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, it's probably you." ~HIMYM, Season 6

    Yes, I blog...


    "Sometimes you have to wade through some shit to get to the good stuff." ~Tayl405

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an island
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayl405 View Post
    Jay - you got me into sardines, haha. You posted about them awhile back and I have been eating them ever since.
    Once in awhile I will eat this after hot yoga, especially at night because I usually don't like having a big meal. I will eat them with Ritz crackers.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On an island
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post

    Next to the dollar store was a small Italian store that had hot Italian food including sausage rolls. Mmmmmmm! How did I miss this?

    Paul
    There's a gourmet Italian grocery within walking distance of my house. They have the best butcher, but I try to avoid them because I could really spend my entire paycheck on their prepared foods.

    My husband loves those peppers stuffed with prosciutto and provolone and I think for a small container, I ended up paying like $15.00.

    Can't do that every week!!

    For things like calzones and such, I just make my own. So much cheaper and less grease!!!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Not MTC
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    For things like calzones and such, I just make my own. So much cheaper and less grease!!!

    LOVE CALZONES! Do you make your own dough or do you just buy it from the store? I have a feeling that if I made my own I would overstuff it with ricotta.
    "It was the forties as well - before racism was bad. - David Brent

    "I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •