about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle? (or...)

Kindle? (or...)

So my last trip involved an 11 hour flight on the return leg. I was traveling light and had only brought one (dense) book, which I finished about 2 hours in. I really felt like reading, but instead had to kill 9 hours with seatback movies, music, and red wine.

This got me thinking of getting an e-reader (likely a Kindle Touch). I donít want or need the video or web extras of an iPad or even the Kindle Fire, Iím pulled to the old school, easy on the eyes, text only e-reader.
    I know some folks on here have Kindles or competing products. Any thoughts, reviews, or recommendations?

My only real concern is contentÖ I read a good amount, but nearly everything comes from the library. I very rarely spend money on books for myself. I know there are a lot of free out of copyright titles for e-readers (and Iíve been wanting to read more of the classics) and a good number of e-books available from the library, but I still canít help but wonder if Iíd find myself spending more than I want to on a monthly basisÖ
    The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is. - Kurt Vonnegut

I have a Nook that I'm very happy with (Nook SimpleTouch).

The nice thing about the Nook is that it takes several different formats directly, you don't have to send your pdfs or whatevers to Amazon to download your stuff. B&N still has DRM on the Nook, it's just not as bad as Amazon's (where they can pull/alter files without letting you know). So there's that if it's something you care about.

They recently released a Nook that has a nifty light installed inside the frame so you can read at night and still have something that's relatively easy on the eyes.

People I know who have the Kindle love theirs, so I think it's just a matter of picking a product and running with it.

We have a kindle with keyboard (surprising useful while playing games) and like it. There are plenty of free Kindle-edition books available on Amazon, so we haven't bought any content that costs money yet. If you have Amazon prime, the kindle lending library is pretty nice. I believe you can also add text file content, so content doesn't have to be e-books, to the Kindle via USB though we don't do that often.

We also have "the new iPad" and it's pretty nice. The battery life isn't anywhere near the Kindle's, but I get around that by carrying an external battery. There are some amazing free books. We have several children's books that are pretty (in color) and some even come with recorded audio so it reads to you. Kindle can also read to you but it uses computer voice. One of the 'books' I downloaded has embedded video, and it's quite cool.

The iPad is better than the kindle, but not 10x better

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Maybe I'm being a Luddite, but I refuse to do the whole e-reader thing. I much prefer a good proper book with writing.

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)

For us, going electronic is about being able to pack more efficiently and having more choice when traveling. I don't need to decide which few books to bring, I can whatever remotely interests me. Instead of bringing games, we can play puzzle games on the kindle.

The e-paper of e-readers are pretty easy on the eyes in our opinion. It's also pretty light and non-tiring to hold.

Last but not least, while I like the smell of aged books, the thought of breathing in the dust mites living in them doesn't appeal to me

At the end of the day though, I am a relative cheapskate so I only consume free content on my electronic devices, which can be somewhat limiting. I'd love to read the WSJ electronically but not $200 a year's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by PenforPrez View Post
    Maybe I'm being a Luddite, but I refuse to do the whole e-reader thing. I much prefer a good proper book with writing.

Paul
    I'm actually the same way, I just can't deny the utility or convenience any longer.
    The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is. - Kurt Vonnegut

I got my Kindle as a gift. I never would have bought one on my own, but now that I have one I love it. It really is just like reading paper.

There's supposed to be a way to get books from other users and the local library, but I haven't figured it out yet. Then there is the Amazon Prime library, also, but you have to pay for that.
    "Nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be this hard, take me back to the start"

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySweetheart View Post
    They recently released a Nook that has a nifty light installed inside the frame so you can read at night and still have something that's relatively easy on the eyes.

People I know who have the Kindle love theirs, so I think it's just a matter of picking a product and running with it.
    So I went and played around with both the Nook Simple Touch Glow (the one with the built in LED lighting) and the Kindle Touch. Hardware wise the new Nook is awesome, that light works great and does seem to correct the biggest shortcoming of the e-readers. Unfortunately I'm leaning much more towards the Kindle for the content (I already use Amazon prime) and ease of use (most downloading on the Nook has to be via USB?).

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the input, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Samwell View Post
    (most downloading on the Nook has to be via USB?).
    What gives you this impression? I only use the USB to charge; my Nook can connect to my network (or B&N's network) and browse/buy/download whatever without needed a wired connection. The only time you would need the USB to download would be if you had a file on your computer (i.e. not on B&N's network) that you wanted to read on your Nook.
    Last edited by LuckySweetheart; 04-30-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added clarification

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySweetheart View Post
    What gives you this impression? I only use the USB to charge; my Nook can connect to my network (or B&N's network) and browse/buy/download whatever without needed a wired connection. The only time you would need the USB to download would be if you had a file on your computer (i.e. not on B&N's network) that you wanted to read on your Nook.
    Whoops. I neglected to mention that was for borrowing library e-books. I have access to two large library collections so that is a largish factor in my decision (although to be fair there are slightly more ePub books than Kindle ones available from each library).

Got a Kindle Touch. And yes, I already love it. Read 2 books in 4 days.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to drop into "the zone" while reading on one of these things. I did not think that the physical manipulation of a book and the subtle switching between left and right pages was very disruptive at all until it went away.

Overall, I'm a book person. I did get my SO a Nook for Christmas a couple of years ago, because he doesn't care about the aesthetic of books and would just as soon not own things that take up space to store, plus, he travels somewhat for work, and it can't be denied that e-readers are wonderful for travel. I intentionally got the e-ink-equipped version of the Nook, not a backlit LCD screen, due to the much longer battery life. Since getting the Nook, we've also gotten an iPad, but the battery life is pitiful on it compared to the Nook.

I've used his e-readers, but don't love them (and much prefer the e-ink of the Nook to the backlit screen on the iPad...I also read outdoors often, and e-ink is better in bright sunlight). It can be convenient for travelling, and I also find that I like using them at the gym, on exercise machines, where the treadmills and stationary bikes and ellipticals have brackets where they sit, and there is no page-flipping to contend with, like with magazines and books, which can be inconvenient while in motion on a machine.

The only thing I haven't liked with the Nook is that when I purchased it for him, I bought it in part for the "Lend Me" feature, where you can ostensibly share books with other people who have Nooks. It was incorrectly explained to me, and I got erroneous information that you could lend a book out numerous times, just not more than once to the same reader. This turned out to be untrue...any book you purchase, you may lend. Once. Period. To one person, and that's it, you may not lend it again, to any person. That's my only real complaint, and it's only a complaint because I was led to believe otherwise. Other than that, e-readers are fine and useful in some contexts, but I still prefer my wall of books (like, WALL of books...when Borders went under, they sold everything in their stores, including their floor-to-ceiling bookcases. Guess what I picked up on the cheap?).
    "Even when I've f*&%ed up, I've spun it into a learning experience that's brought me to bigger and better things."

I'm notoriously cheap, and I thought you had to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get books on a portable e-reader. Thus, I refused. However, I do have an iPad that I've used to subscribe to the e-book/audiobook checkout system at my local library. It's super convenient, and while I also like hard copy books, I have a new appreciation for e-readers. On a given week, I'll probably read 1 hard copy book, and 1 e-book (and/or reluctantly read several work-related journal articles) on my iPad.
    ~Erika~

I am an actual book reader myself. I haven't had a desire to get an e-reader. I am starting to really get back into reading again (haven't had much time over the last few years) especially on the weekends when the weather is nice and I can sit outside. My son is getting older and can occupy himself more in the backyard now so I look forward to sitting down and reading a good book.

We also have started to go to the library at least once or twice a week. Such a great resource!!

I know my library loans out e-readers but I haven't looked into this. I guess I'm old!
    Someone else's success is not your failure.

Don't assume my posts are about you. But if you're affected that must mean you're guilty of something.

If the grass looks greener on the other side, it's probably because it's fertilized with bull shit.

Take a deep breath. It's just a bad day. Not a bad life.

Not Baltimore, contrary to popular belief
    Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    We also have started to go to the library at least once or twice a week. Such a great resource!!
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by winneythepooh7 View Post
    I know my library loans out e-readers but I haven't looked into this. I guess I'm old!
    I was looking on Amazon yesterday; they actually have a Kindle app you can use on a desktop or a laptop. I was intrigued by the idea, but I still can't afford the e-books I want to read (like Kristen Johnson's autobiography!).

Paul
    I've always been different, with one foot over the line
    Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
    It ain't been so easy, but I guess I shouldn't complain

Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
    So far, I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change

I've Always Been Crazy, Waylon Jennings (1978)