about us | workshops | message boards       
quarterlifecrisis.com    people blur   
a one-stop info-shop for recent grads & beyond      
   lifeworkplay   

From Social Work career into Human Resources career - how?

Hi everybody,

I am having some serious thoughts of having a career change. I have my BSW, and although the work is often emotionally demanding, I found it personally rewarding. However, I am getting burned out, mainly because of the salary issue. I did some research and found out that even with a MSW, I will only get around 36,000$ a year, and that is really depressing me. Sometimes I wake up in the morning thinking that it's just not worth it, if I am myself on my way to becoming a welfare case. I am just very depressed. The only way to up my income is to go into private practice, but that would take me many more years of schooling and more debt. I knew that I won't be making tons of money in Social work, but I'm feeling like I'm being abused. I feel like I'm worth much more, but cutbacks etc. are eroding all the enthusiasm I once had.

I thought about what I could transfer my skills into, something more profitable in the long run and came up with Human Resources. I think I will enjoy the work, after all one still deals with people, but from a different perspective. I could still use my interviewing skills, my writing, my organizational skills.

Problem is that I heard that Human Resources is very hard to break into... how do I do that? What kind of education do I need? Is it at all possible to enter this industry with a Social Work background, or am I way too optimistic?

If you guys have any advice for me on how to go about this, I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Pink Panther; 11-04-2004 at 12:15 AM.

I'm trying to do the same thing. It's hard. I don't have the answers, but I do have lots of empathy.
    What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can.
    Henry David Thoreau

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    Will Rogers

"Your food stamps will be stopped effective March, 1992, because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances."
    -Department of Social Services

Hello ladies, you both certainly are not alone. I have a breakdown myself at least once per week (even happened last nite LOL) about this very same thing. By the time I pay for my rent and my car, and my soon school loans, I will have NADA left, absolutely NADA! Plus I am working in a brand new program and it is very stressful just getting it off the ground. It didn't help this week when I was counting on doing per diem work for an extra 5 hours each week (and an extra $400 a month) and was told "oh we don't need you anymore, we found someone to work f/t". As you both know, even a p/t position in our field is difficult because we are so tired and burnt out by the end of the day, to just THINK about having to go somewhere in the evening makes my stomach turn. I could probably make *a little* more once I get my license, but the cost of that alone is like over $700 to maybe make 5 or 6000 more a year which is really nothing after taxes. Even with a Master's degree, I don't feel like I am really qualified to do anything else. I don't think anyone else would hire me that isn't entry level and after all this schooling I feel I am better then that. HR though, especially here in NYC is even HARDER to break into from the lack of jobs turning up for people I see working in that field. I enjoy what I do but the lack of pay is turning me into one of my clients.